+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, The Licensing FAQ in Technical; Originally Posted by samba_man Right, Microsoft licensing Heres a question for those that let students have external access to Exchange ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by samba_man View Post
    Right, Microsoft licensing

Heres a question for those that let students have external access to Exchange and have a terminal services setup for them, would we still need Exchange student CALs if they were accessing from inside the terminal services session?

My 2nd week trying to get my head around Microsoft Licensing. Don't get me started on using Office in a TS session (what happened to the user CALs when you need them?!), I think I might have to get a quote from Ramesys on licensing every computer on the planet.

My head was turning into mush today
    I was told that if the students are accessing Exchange (either internally or externally) then we either need student connector licenses for each student, or an external connector license for each server (not student as it originally read!).

And MS really do need to rethink their licensing for Office in a TS (or similar) environment. It's just a pain in the backside
    Last edited by Soulfish; 7th April 2009 at 10:25 PM.

2. Thanks to Soulfish from:

jamesmay (23rd March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    I was told that if the students are accessing Exchange (either internally or externally) then we either need student connector licenses for each student, or an external connector license for each student.

And MS really do need to rethink their licensing for Office in a TS (or similar) environment. It's just a pain in the backside
    You need an external connector per server/service, so one for exchange and one for Windows server, thats all thats needed for students, staff will need CALs of some sort.

External Connector License
    Optional additional license for external users that enables access to your servers that are
    running Windows Server 2008.
    Allows access to the server that is running Windows Server, by an unlimited number of external
    users. For example, allows access for a person who is not an employee or similar personnel of
    the company or its affiliates.
    Licensed per server, regardless of the number of running instances of Windows Server 2008.
    With this license, customers do not need to buy individual Windows Server CALs for each
    external user.
    Note: The External Connector license cannot be used for commercial hosting services.

Everyone should read this: https://partner.microsoft.com/global/40017358

It's very useful

4. 3 Thanks to DMcCoy:

GrumbleDook (7th April 2009), Hokalus (8th April 2009), Soulfish (7th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    You need an external connector per server/service, so one for exchange and one for Windows server, thats all thats needed for students, staff will need CALs of some sort.

External Connector License
    Optional additional license for external users that enables access to your servers that are
    running Windows Server 2008.
    Allows access to the server that is running Windows Server, by an unlimited number of external
    users. For example, allows access for a person who is not an employee or similar personnel of
    the company or its affiliates.
    Licensed per server, regardless of the number of running instances of Windows Server 2008.
    With this license, customers do not need to buy individual Windows Server CALs for each
    external user.
    Note: The External Connector license cannot be used for commercial hosting services.

Everyone should read this: https://partner.microsoft.com/global/40017358

It's very useful
    Opps just realised that post was meant to read External connector per server rather than per student :P. Would get very very expensive pretty quickly if it was per student!

The way Ramesys/Pugh both suggested to license was to get an Exchange CAL for every PC we have and then a student connector for every student. At around £1.20ish for a student connector license it wasn't as expensive as I first imagined.
    Last edited by Soulfish; 7th April 2009 at 10:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    This may be the wrong place to put this but it is about licensing....

Can Microsoft actually tell you what licences you have for what applications or CALs or whatever?
    I have taken over a school and have very little licensing info - the answer about purchasing an OEM and then upgrading has been useful..but I have no idea how many XP licences, CALs or Office licences we have or where they were bought from. It is likely that they were probably purchased from different places eg LEA, Civica etc but I am having a real problem finding out.
    Unfortunately I think this will be really difficult, unless it's registered as an agreement for the school then there may be no way to tell except from invoices. I've bought some stuff under the local govenment agreement recently and got nothing except a note from the supplier to keep hold of to show that I have licenses under that master agreement. The problem is there is are no paper copies of licenses supplied these days, and if they aren't under your own agreement then you'll never see them electronically either!

Thank Post
    Opps just realised that post was meant to read External connector per server rather than per student :P. Would get very very expensive pretty quickly if it was per student!

They way Ramesys/Pugh both suggested to license was to get an Exchange CAL for every PC we have and then a student connector for every student. At around £1.20ish for a student connector license it wasn't as expensive as I first imagined.
    Ah, there is always a break even point for the external connectors, depending on the size school you may never hit it!

FYI the large bold text is just to catch anyone reading the thread in the future, that document is really helpful - not trying to shout or make any point aimed in your direction :P

Thank Post
    Unfortunately I think this will be really difficult, unless it's registered as an agreement for the school then there may be no way to tell except from invoices. I've bought some stuff under the local govenment agreement recently and got nothing except a note from the supplier to keep hold of to show that I have licenses under that master agreement. The problem is there is are no paper copies of licenses supplied these days, and if they aren't under your own agreement then you'll never see them electronically either!
    I think if your a big enough customer then you can get everything tied back to your own special ID using something called "Select Plus" (Microsoft Select Plus Overview). But to do that you need to buy a lot of software every year or have a schools agreement!

Thank Post
    Ah, there is always a break even point for the external connectors, depending on the size school you may never hit it!
    Given the pricing I've been getting on the external connectors I think the break even point for us is a long way off

FYI the large bold text is just to catch anyone reading the thread in the future, that document is really helpful - not trying to shout or make any point aimed in your direction :P
    Actually I'd missed this previously so thanks for pointing it out again .

MS licensing (actually most licensing) is just one giant headache

Thank Post
    The way Ramesys/Pugh both suggested to license was to get an Exchange CAL for every PC we have and then a student connector for every student. At around £1.20ish for a student connector license it wasn't as expensive as I first imagined.
    I think thats what we're going to do after speaking to Ramesys and Misco.
    AFAIK the Exchange Device CALs cover members of staff for Work@Home Rights.

Re the Exchange External Connector, I was quoted in the region of £5k. For 1700 student EX CALs it was aound £2k IIRC

Re Office on a TS, the idea I got from Ramesys and Misco that if Office was covered by software assurance (school agreement), all staff members had Work@Home Rights, but as Office can only be licensed per device, this right would in theory have to be locked to a single external device.

Thank Post
    How come students can access with an External Connector but staff need individual CALs? We were told by RM to buy an External Connector when we set up EasyLink, but should we also have bought CALs for our staff? If so, how are we possibly supposed to know how many to get? I don't know how many PCs each teacher has, or how many of them also access it from other locations (friends', relatives', public libraries, Internet cafes, etc). What about staff members with children in the school? Does their PC need a CAL or not?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    How come students can access with an External Connector but staff need individual CALs? We were told by RM to buy an External Connector when we set up EasyLink, but should we also have bought CALs for our staff? If so, how are we possibly supposed to know how many to get? I don't know how many PCs each teacher has, or how many of them also access it from other locations (friends', relatives', public libraries, Internet cafes, etc). What about staff members with children in the school? Does their PC need a CAL or not?
    Going by the response posted by Tony from MSUK, RM must be wrong in respect of the external connector covering everyone: RM.com Shop: RM EasyLink 2

As I understand it you'd buy as many Windows user CALs for employees as will need remote access, so you're licensing the number of people, not the number of devices they will use to access your servers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The type of connection that EasyLink provides may just require the single external connector licence and RM do tend to run their products via MS to make sure they are properly licenced so I would think that RM are correct in this.

One of the problems is that the different external connectors for different apps / services seem to be applied slightly differently.

I'll be honest and say that I have almost given up on clarifying each and every type of licence as MS are reviewing it at the moment, there is guidance in place already (see DMcCoy's post above) and if you are in doubt then you should refer your supplier to the above MS webpage and ask for them to clarify their position based on the MS web page. Get that clarification in writing (by letter or email) and then take what is offered to you by your supplier. If they are supplying it wrongly and they have sworn blind that it is correct and you have dropped a line to MS Edu Licensing then leave it at that. Most of the large Edu suppliers of MS licences will have it generally correct but some areas are still grey (eg Office on a terminal server) in spite of clear guidance from MS (pay per device!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    The type of connection that EasyLink provides may just require the single external connector licence and RM do tend to run their products via MS to make sure they are properly licenced so I would think that RM are correct in this.

One of the problems is that the different external connectors for different apps / services seem to be applied slightly differently.
    I thought the Windows external connector stipulated that it's for use by non-employees. I suppose it's possible that RM have an exception(?) to this general rule for this licence. I've e-mailed them to clarify.

I have had a similar issue in the past where RM have given incorrect advice about external Exchange access licensing, only when I presented them with Microsoft's response did they concede that the standard MS licence stood.

Thank Post
    Update:

Those who keep an eye on Ray Flemming's education blog will see a post next week about the use of external connectors.

As you may or may not know, I've been trying to find out about the licesing of parents and govenors for Sharepoint.

Yesterday the official line was that for parents and governors etc to connect to your Sharepoint server (for example) you need an external connector license (or internet version of the software). This is around £5K!

As from now (and I have this from the horses mouth) you no longer need this.

I quote from his email:

Here’s the official line – no licences needed for parents as long as their kids are licensed (which they will be). I will add this to the blog this week
    I attach the file he sent that confirms this.

Enjoy your new found wealth.

HBJB
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Heebeejeebee; 9th July 2009 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Add Link

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heebeejeebee View Post
    Update:

Those who keep an eye on Ray Flemming's education blog will see a post next week about the use of external connectors.

As you may or may not know, I've been trying to find out about the licesing of parents and govenors for Sharepoint.

Yesterday the official line was that for parents and governors etc to connect to your Sharepoint server (for example) you need an external connector license (or internet version of the software). This is around £5K!

As from now (and I have this from the horses mouth) you no longer need this.

I quote from his email:

I attach the file he sent that confirms this.

Enjoy your new found wealth.

HBJB
    Students will probably only be licensed if you have bought per user sharepoint licenses for them, ours are per machine due to being part of schools agreement. This is mention in a few places and covers other products, the issue for us is having to buy 1100 user license for the relevant product in the first place. (As there is an academic license grant letter allowing free external connectors if *all* users are licensed anyway)

Thank Post
    The letter states that qualifiying customers include those with School Agreements.

I'll see if I can get clarification though.

HBJB

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast