+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, The Licensing FAQ in Technical; Majority of printers will not be authenticating against the domain, merely receiving data over the network as a blind device ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Majority of printers will not be authenticating against the domain, merely receiving data over the network as a blind device (not caring where the information comes from, who it comes from or what application sends it).

The authentication takes place between the clent machine and the server with the share for the printer, for which you have already purchased a CAL.

2. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

apoth0r (27th January 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I am trying to get to the bottom of and understand M$ Licensing - particularly the Academic Select Agreement. I've just re-read through this thread and couldn't see answers to the following questions. I think this is better placed here than in a new thread.

How long does a select agreement last for? and, more importantly, if it expires (which I'm sure it does) what happens to the licenses bought under the agreement? Do they also expire? Does this mean we need to rebuy our licenses when the agreement is up for renewal, or do the old licenses transfer to a new agreement? What if an agreement lapsed over a year ago? Would new licenses need to be bought with the new agreement?

I'm currently trying to audit our licenses to establish what we need to do as a school to remain legal, and prepare for Windows 7, Server 2008 and perhaps the next Office.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can uncloud my merky thinking!

Thank Post
    By coincidence I'm going through the exact same process. I thought I was covered but now I'm not sure

Answers in plain English please

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Answers in plain English please
    This is a licensing thread, you must be new here.

6. 2 Thanks to CyberNerd:

tmcd35 (27th January 2009), webman (27th January 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    This is a licensing thread, you must be new here.

You Twit!!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Okay, sifting through the interweb I think I may be coming up with answers to my own questions

I think the select agreement basically allows you to purchase the licenses at a given price. Once you've bought the licenses they are yours forever. When the agreement lapses (typically two years) you lose the right to purchase new licenses at that price but you do not lose any licenses you have already bought.

The schools agreement on the other hand appears to be a subscription, so you would lose access to the software if the agreement ends.

Thank Post
    @tmcd35 - I agree with your first paragraph, i.e. licences bought under Select are yours for-keeps, but do not agree with the second paragraph about Schools Licences. All you lose when your Schools Agreement expires is the right to version upgrades, what you already have is yours (I think!).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    @tmcd35 - I agree with your first paragraph, i.e. licences bought under Select are yours for-keeps, but do not agree with the second paragraph about Schools Licences. All you lose when your Schools Agreement expires is the right to version upgrades, what you already have is yours (I think!).
    No, for schools agreement you would have to buy out the agreement or stop using the licenses.

Thank Post
    I've trawled through this thread for a definitive answer to my license query but I can't find one and I'm getting no joy from our MS School Agreement supplier. Sorry for the essay but I need to be quite specific.

Here's what we want to do:

We want to setup a SharePoint server internally. We will need access to this server's output from within school for students and staff and from outside of school for students, staff, parents and governors etc. The intention is to use it for VLE/Intranet purposes and to report attendance and assessment details to parents etc.

Here's what I'm confused about:

Our MS School Agreement states that we have 500 or so Office SharePoint CALs included so I assume we're covered for in school use, (but we do not have the server software itself as yet). This document (from MS) states (implies?) that if a product requires an external connector license schools get it free.

Our supplier insists that we need to spend either 4.25 per student for access (1,100 of them) or nearly 5,000 for the 'Internet' version.

Does Sharepoint come under the type of software that requires an external connector or is that only Exchange?

Gaahh!

Any pointers welcome (or contacts at MS that could clarify).

Cheers

HBJB

Thank Post
    To me that document says you are not covered other than for the following people...

Students & staff, plus:

Prospective students
    Alumni (student and faculty/ staff)
    Student and faculty/staff of collaborating academic institutions or government institutions.

..which leaves your parents and governors out in the cold.

These are the people who should really know their stuff on UK Educational licensing of MS software:

Education Large Account Resellers - Education - Microsoft UK

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LicenceGuru View Post
    Hi There,

Looking through your email it seems to me your establishment may have purchased 500 Desktop School CAL's: this entitles you to the latest versions of the following...Office Pro, Windows Operating System & Core Cal (Office Sharepoint Std CAL, Exchange Server Std CAL, Config Manager Std CAL & Windows Sever Std CAL)

If you want to access the Office Sharepoint Std CAL's you have to purchase the Sharepoint Server Licence (approx 200/yr) However this is just for internal use. If you would like external members to have access, you must purchase the SharePoint Internet Licence which will sit on a single server. Under the Schools Agreement, this will cost you approx 2000/yr. Please Note: that whatever server this licence sits on, 'ALL' info on that server will be public, so I would recommend that you purchase a separate server especially for this function, and be selective what info is submitted to the server

Kind Regards,

Claire @ Academia Ltd
    Many thanks.

You got it about right. We will have a separate server and we need external access for parents etc. It seems like a lot of money to pay but I guess that we could potentially have 2,000 odd parents accessing the server (however in reality it'll be about 10 ).

Cheers,

HBJB

Thank Post
    I don't believe that it has to be public now, you can apply both licenses (MOSS 2007 server and for internet sites) to a single server. Microsoft licensing said that this was changed but has not yet been updated on the FAQ pages on the site.

Thank Post
    Right, Microsoft licensing

Heres a question for those that let students have external access to Exchange and have a terminal services setup for them, would we still need Exchange student CALs if they were accessing from inside the terminal services session?

My 2nd week trying to get my head around Microsoft Licensing. Don't get me started on using Office in a TS session (what happened to the user CALs when you need them?!), I think I might have to get a quote from Ramesys on licensing every computer on the planet.

My head was turning into mush today

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by samba_man View Post
    Right, Microsoft licensing

Heres a question for those that let students have external access to Exchange and have a terminal services setup for them, would we still need Exchange student CALs if they were accessing from inside the terminal services session?

My 2nd week trying to get my head around Microsoft Licensing. Don't get me started on using Office in a TS session (what happened to the user CALs when you need them?!), I think I might have to get a quote from Ramesys on licensing every computer on the planet.

My head was turning into mush today
    Students will still need the relevant CALs to access Microsoft servers and services, although you may be able to use external connectors instead (Exchange/Windows server) as they are not employees of the organisation. This is where licensing things like SQL as per processor is useful.

TS is simply a multiplexing device and you still need licenses for all authenticated users, even if they are accessing services via a single/fewer devices.

And yes, licensing the planet is the only absolute way to license Microsoft office for TS use.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,624 Posts
    This may be the wrong place to put this but it is about licensing....

Can Microsoft actually tell you what licences you have for what applications or CALs or whatever?
    I have taken over a school and have very little licensing info - the answer about purchasing an OEM and then upgrading has been useful..but I have no idea how many XP licences, CALs or Office licences we have or where they were bought from. It is likely that they were probably purchased from different places eg LEA, Civica etc but I am having a real problem finding out.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast