+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 123
Educational Software Thread, The Licensing FAQ in Technical; @Ashok, webman at least is weighing up the cost of the licensing. If two products do the same thing nad ...
  1. #16


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    @Ashok, webman at least is weighing up the cost of the licensing. If two products do the same thing nad have similar support, one costs licenses and one doesn't then its a no brainer which to deploy if you have the skillset. It's an FAQ afterall.

  2. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

    webman (31st January 2008)

  3. #17
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,461
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 496 Times in 436 Posts
    Rep Power
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    @Ashok, webman at least is weighing up the cost of the licensing. If two products do the same thing nad have similar support, one costs licenses and one doesn't then its a no brainer which to deploy if you have the skillset. It's an FAQ afterall.
    About licensing, not whether you should pay for something.

    My Zimbra server keeps dying at home. I can't buy commercial support with less than 10 licenses. Free is not always better.

  4. #18


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    I can't buy commercial support with less than 10 licenses. Free is not always better.
    MS support isn't free either, thats extra.

  5. #19

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,796
    Thank Post
    517
    Thanked 2,468 Times in 1,912 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    About licensing, not whether you should pay for something.

    My Zimbra server keeps dying at home. I can't buy commercial support with less than 10 licenses. Free is not always better.
    It isn't aimed at people who run it as a home server (who really runs their own email server??). I doubt you'd have bought exchange for home use... So your argument is completely bogus really. Put it this way, a 25 user license for the zimbra network edition costs £314ish. Compare that to a basic exchange 5 user pack being £910. It still works out cheaper...

  6. #20

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,939
    Thank Post
    1,343
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    595
    Folks, this thread is about licenses and how they are applied ... not about whether they are worth it or not.

    If you want to argue about that take it to FFS.

  7. #21
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,461
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 496 Times in 436 Posts
    Rep Power
    113
    I suggest you also cover the continued misuse of terminal services and office licenses

  8. #22

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,939
    Thank Post
    1,343
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    I suggest you also cover the continued misuse of terminal services and office licenses
    Somehow I think that the words 'worms', 'can' and 'opening' apply here.

    This may indeed be the largest misuse and abuse of licenses now that TS is growing in use.

  9. #23
    sahmeepee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Greater Manchester
    Posts
    795
    Thank Post
    20
    Thanked 70 Times in 42 Posts
    Rep Power
    34
    I would also like to see Adobe taken outside and shot for their (mis/ab)use of the term "site license". I was told today that to put Adobe CS3 on 501 computers in my single site I would have to buy two site licenses. Zing!

  10. #24

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    738
    Thank Post
    17
    Thanked 105 Times in 65 Posts
    Rep Power
    37

    License costs

    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    It isn't aimed at people who run it as a home server (who really runs their own email server??). I doubt you'd have bought exchange for home use... So your argument is completely bogus really. Put it this way, a 25 user license for the zimbra network edition costs £314ish. Compare that to a basic exchange 5 user pack being £910. It still works out cheaper...
    All i'm trying to highlight is that schools chooses which ever software works for them, of course people can suggest various alternatives but its up to schools on which product they go. I raised the point that the thread was going off topic.

    Zimbra may well provide the same functionality as MS Exchange but since someone raised the point of exchange licenses (not zimbra licenses or costs) i thought i get into the conversation.

    Exchange CALs can be user cal or device cal and from what i understand its best to go with device cals (this is of course different if you have less PCs and many users)

    The external connector license is not required for schools unless you want to allow third-party users to connect or use services hosted by exchange. If the user is part of school/institution then they will have an account on the network and it is this account that they will be using to access the email from outside i.e. via OWA. This is where external connector does NOT come in as many people are led to believe. This is because it is the pupil of the school/employee of organisation accessing his/her emails from the coporate mail server.

    Ash.

  11. #25
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,488
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by ashok View Post
    If the user is part of school/institution then they will have an account on the network and it is this account that they will be using to access the email from outside i.e. via OWA. This is where external connector does NOT come in as many people are led to believe. This is because it is the pupil of the school/employee of organisation accessing his/her emails from the coporate mail server.
    Interesting - I was told we had to have one in order to use our (EasyLink) remote access, however that falls into the category which you describe, i.e. school users accessing school accounts.

  12. #26
    mrforgetful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,639
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by sahmeepee View Post
    I would also like to see Adobe taken outside and shot for their (mis/ab)use of the term "site license". I was told today that to put Adobe CS3 on 501 computers in my single site I would have to buy two site licenses. Zing!
    That's because their site licenses cover up 500 computers.

    Simple solution, miss one out.

    Funny really because you're also allowed to install and use it at up to 50 teachers home computers, I'm sure they'd not mind using one of those for that extra computer...

  13. #27
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,488
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful View Post
    That's because their site licenses cover up 500 computers.
    So it's not a SITE licence then, is it; it's a 500 user licence. Trading Standards Agency anyone?

  14. #28
    mrforgetful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,639
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    So it's not a SITE licence then, is it; it's a 500 user licence. Trading Standards Agency anyone?
    Techinically it's not a 500 user license either because they have to be on a single site.

    It depends how much you want to complain about it, personally I'd rather you not take them to TSA, what if they retract the license completely? It's a bargain for Education no matter how you look at it.

    Even if you had to buy 2 site licences you'd still be saving thousands on what a business would pay.

  15. #29
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,461
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 496 Times in 436 Posts
    Rep Power
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    So it's not a SITE licence then, is it; it's a 500 user licence. Trading Standards Agency anyone?
    One could argue that it's a license that covers up to 500 machine in a single site *location*. It really is a bargain compared to what I had to pay for 24 copies of design premium before it came out!

  16. #30
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,488
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    One could argue that it's a license that covers up to 500 machine in a single site *location*.
    Perhaps, but remember that many volume licences also state that the user must all be on the same site.

    I think that if the licence is limited to 500 users, they should start calling it that - continuing to offer the ridiculous educational discount naturally, but just call it what it is.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Exchange Licensing...
    By Ben_Stanton in forum Windows
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 6th August 2007, 08:54 PM
  2. licensing
    By davyboi in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 21st May 2007, 03:38 PM
  3. Microsoft Licensing
    By Simcfc73 in forum Windows
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17th April 2007, 02:49 PM
  4. Licensing
    By thom in forum Educational Software
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19th July 2005, 03:23 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •