+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 38 of 38
Educational Software Thread, Edugeek Award for Competent Program Design? in Technical; It's just a thought but maybe EduGeek could work together with Becta on this. A joint Becta/EduGeek mark/award might look ...
  1. #31
    ajbritton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wandsworth
    Posts
    1,632
    Thank Post
    23
    Thanked 75 Times in 45 Posts
    Rep Power
    34
    It's just a thought but maybe EduGeek could work together with Becta on this. A joint Becta/EduGeek mark/award might look more impressive to prospective purchasers.

    @contink: I do think there needs to be the repository for install info, but unless someone chips away at the problem it will only grow.

  2. #32
    sahmeepee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Greater Manchester
    Posts
    795
    Thank Post
    20
    Thanked 70 Times in 42 Posts
    Rep Power
    33
    I think having a BECTA endorsement might detract from the clueful image. Something like Edugeek "Easy Install" award/badge might do the trick, but the problem with badges is that you can't tell if the software just hasn't been evaluated yet.

    I'd be happy just to have a knowledgebase as long as it included the known-bad software as well as the known-good.

  3. #33


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    I think Becta wouldn't touch this with a barge pole.
    Fair enough having a wiki about how to install things the easy way - but it gets very difficult when people have different systems.
    For me installing a SCORM package is the easiest thing I can do, but some don't have SCORM compliant VLE's. For some people an MSI install is easy - but not if you don't have an active directory backend. For some people 'apt-get install package' is easiest in a script, or shoving some files onto a web/file server might be really difficult for others.
    Becta already endorse SCORM files as a way of deploying applications, I can't see them wanting to say any more than that.

  4. #34
    alan-d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sutton Coldfield
    Posts
    2,414
    Thank Post
    359
    Thanked 256 Times in 187 Posts
    Rep Power
    75
    Going back to grading software titles.

    A general grading given by Senior/trusted members e.g 1 to 5 stars

    Then

    A readers rating which includes a short write up of the product, good and bad points.

    A bit like the system used by 'Whatcar.com' for cars.

    Simple and effective but without bias toward any one product.

  5. #35

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,060
    Thank Post
    853
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    768
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I think Becta wouldn't touch this with a barge pole.
    Fair enough having a wiki about how to install things the easy way - but it gets very difficult when people have different systems.
    For me installing a SCORM package is the easiest thing I can do, but some don't have SCORM compliant VLE's. For some people an MSI install is easy - but not if you don't have an active directory backend. For some people 'apt-get install package' is easiest in a script, or shoving some files onto a web/file server might be really difficult for others.
    Becta already endorse SCORM files as a way of deploying applications, I can't see them wanting to say any more than that.
    Agreed that there are may different types of systems around but they could be assessed against what they are supposed to work with. For example if it is windows software it should run with MSI and not write rubbish everywhere. If it is designed to run in linux it should be packaged or a simple case of unzipping it rather than spending half a day tracking down, installing and troubleshooting all of the dependencies.

    Designed for Windows XP/Vista Windows criteria
    Designed for Linux base Linux criteria

    Even if you don't have an AD backend the fact that the MSI has been designed to be automated and installed silently via GP means that the install can be triggered silently and successfully via a login or autoit script provided by a linux server.

  6. #36

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,060
    Thank Post
    853
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    768
    Quote Originally Posted by alan-d View Post
    Going back to grading software titles.

    A general grading given by Senior/trusted members e.g 1 to 5 stars

    Then

    A readers rating which includes a short write up of the product, good and bad points.

    A bit like the system used by 'Whatcar.com' for cars.

    Simple and effective but without bias toward any one product.
    Add a slightly different front end on top of the data and it could also make quite a nice online catalog of approved software for the teachers/heads to look through. A nice safe purchasing environment where they can't get into to much trouble.

  7. #37


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Agreed that there are may different types of systems around but they could be assessed against what they are supposed to work with. For example if it is windows software it should run with MSI and not write rubbish everywhere. If it is designed to run in linux it should be packaged or a simple case of unzipping it rather than spending half a day tracking down, installing and troubleshooting all of the dependencies.

    Designed for Windows XP/Vista Windows criteria
    Designed for Linux base Linux criteria

    Even if you don't have an AD backend the fact that the MSI has been designed to be automated and installed silently via GP means that the install can be triggered silently and successfully via a login or autoit script provided by a linux server.
    Problem is that when you go down that path it's difficult to know where to stop - A citrix install is easy for some things and extremely difficult for others, macs, bsd's, mobile phones are other examples. Again, using the MSI example, surely copying to a remote fileserver and placing links is easier than an MSI deployment - so why weight an msi install over a manual filecopy.

  8. #38
    alan-d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sutton Coldfield
    Posts
    2,414
    Thank Post
    359
    Thanked 256 Times in 187 Posts
    Rep Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Add a slightly different front end on top of the data and it could also make quite a nice online catalog of approved software for the teachers/heads to look through. A nice safe purchasing environment where they can't get into to much trouble.
    Linked to an affiliate scheme maybe

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. School Award Logo PNGs For All
    By in forum Web Development
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11th August 2008, 05:52 PM
  2. Design - Best Webpage you have ever seen?
    By Zoom7000 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 4th June 2008, 12:03 PM
  3. New 2D Design talking to the Old Mill Design
    By Sean in forum Educational Software
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15th January 2008, 09:26 AM
  4. Looking for Design software?
    By jumpinjamez in forum Educational Software
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10th May 2007, 02:24 PM
  5. Website Design
    By Simcfc73 in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 25th September 2006, 02:24 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •