+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Edugeek Award for Competent Program Design? in Technical; My biggest issue with simple voting system is companies trying to fix the results hmmmm going to have think but ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My biggest issue with simple voting system is companies trying to fix the results hmmmm going to have think but like idea think just got to get few final details sorted.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I think some of you have some really strange ideas about what is easy to deploy.
    My ideal application deployment is like this:

1) copy to webserver (SCORM/Flash/jboss/whatever)
    2) copy link to start menu
    3) get coffee

no msi's,exe's,rpms,debs. no mucking around 'upgrading' operating systems when all I need to upgrade is the virtualmachine. and certainly no damn 'next next finish dance'.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    My biggest issue with simple voting system is companies trying to fix the results hmmmm going to have think but like idea think just got to get few final details sorted.
    Perhaps you could limit voting to people with over a certain number of posts and/or people whose account was created at least X months ago.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,020 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My vote would be for Black Cat Supertools. Why on Earth did someone create an installer which asks you which modules you wish to install then proceeds to make you install them all manually anyway!
    Better than the last version though that did the smae but when you install it over a network it would fall over at the last minute becasue it was still utilising a 16 bit installer buried deep down. Grrrrr.

Thank Post
    Suggested this yonks ago (http://www.edugeek.net/forums/showpo...3&postcount=20) and I still think it's an excellent idea. It would be great to present the first set of awards or marks at BeTT next year perhaps.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There were reasons we didn't do it before but we can operate above the radar bit more now.
    Last edited by mark; 26th January 2008 at 09:26 AM. Reason: /sp ;)

Thank Post
    Been a while since I supported primary schools... but my vote goes to 2Simple software. Easy install, great tech support, and genuinely nice people.

Nelson Thornes........**something short and unprintable**

Thank Post
    Just a thought but slightly controversial... Dump the "awards" idea and put together a Technical information and reviews database on software that incorporates some of the points already mentioned (membership for X months, X posts minimum, etc..).

The technical information would provide the factual (non-disputed) intel eg:
    - installation methods available (MSI, CC3 only?, command line, etc..)
    - support information (website, phone, etc..)
    - licensing options

Then the review system provides members to actually give their comment on just how well it works:
    - ease of installation
    - pricing
    - ease of use for end users
    - general comments
    - etc...

Awards are frankly little tick boxes that mean absolutely nothing unless they are backed up with information and if something like the above was implemented (and yes I would be a bit of work) it would provide all the transparency you'd need as to how an overall "score" was achieved as well as being actually useful to us

Just my opinion...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Oh I know that's there but it has no structure imposed on it and is not easy to reference. Whereas you could incorporate the two ideas (awards and proper software intel) into one much more useful tool.

Just a thought but frankly the wiki is not really the best tool for the job although it's definitely a good start

11. Thanks to contink from:

mark (26th January 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sure

See your point will have some words with zh about it.

Russ

Thank Post
    @daveyboy: While I like 2Simple software and agree that they are lovely people, I have to say that their software design is not always bang on and their MSI authoring is a bit basic. At least one title tries to create temporary files under C:\Program Files\... Some write to INI files in %WINDIR%. From what I remember, the INI settings are stored as files rather than INI settings in their MSIs. Yuck.

@contink: From my POV, the idea behind the EduGeek mark or award would be to try to make the other software providers think about their own application design and delivery mechanisms. Surely the point is that we should not need to maintain a knowledge base of this stuff. All apps should be follow Microsofts application guidelines and be delivered with properly authored MSIs. Hand awards to those who get it right and name and shame those who don't. It's hardly rocket science after all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I've just deployed one of my favorite application, which should be awarded.
    It's from Heinemann no less (I was shocked)

insert cd.
    upload SCORM zip file to moodle.
    unzip into moodle course.
    job done.

http://www.heinemann.co.uk/Series/pr...=9780435117252

I really hope Heinemann will be releasing more of this.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbritton View Post
    @contink: From my POV, the idea behind the EduGeek mark or award would be to try to make the other software providers think about their own application design and delivery mechanisms. Surely the point is that we should not need to maintain a knowledge base of this stuff. All apps should be follow Microsofts application guidelines and be delivered with properly authored MSIs. Hand awards to those who get it right and name and shame those who don't. It's hardly rocket science after all.
    Can't fault the idealism but frankly the real world is that they don't bother and we use this site as a resource to resolve those packages (and there are many) where the HT or department head has ignored all advice and gone over our heads to buy "that" POS software because it looked "pretty" or whatever

Ultimately an awards system would definitely help provide a "stick" of sorts to clue in those willing to listen but without documenting the weird stuff we have to deal with it's just a pretty gold icon, or whatever.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,729 Times in 2,308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    Can't fault the idealism but frankly the real world is that they don't bother and we use this site as a resource to resolve those packages (and there are many) where the HT or department head has ignored all advice and gone over our heads to buy "that" POS software because it looked "pretty" or whatever

Ultimately an awards system would definitely help provide a "stick" of sorts to clue in those willing to listen but without documenting the weird stuff we have to deal with it's just a pretty gold icon, or whatever.
    If this mark or whatever was to become more mainstream then at least there would be something easy to tell the staff to look for. They are teachers after all independent thought is not what they are contracted for. Just show them all the logo and say that this is the 'IT won't yell at you for buying this award'. Providing any more information that this would probably overload most of them and irreparably damage them . The trick is to make sure that the award/mark stays true to the admins that have to install it and is not unduly influenced by the companies.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast