+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational Software Thread, Sims Lesson Monitor+PDA's + How do you do it? in Technical; The picture of a PE teacher running around a field clutching a tablet PC (you can't leave them around - ...

Thank Post
    The picture of a PE teacher running around a field clutching a tablet PC (you can't leave them around - at least not round here !), whilst refereeing a match or supervising several groups of pupils just isn't realistic. The whole point of PDAs (or more correctly these days HHCs "handheld computers", as they can do practically anything a desktop PC can) is portability = do the register, put it in your pocket or belt clip, ignore it. Many of the front line models now have wifi built in. Most run MS Office software, either directly or in emulation.

There are two possible hitches: (1) whether SIMS produce a module for them (I'm open to correction on this, and would love to know), (2) small font size on small screen.

For what it's worth, I've used a Palm T3 (without wifi) for 4 years for registration (not SIMS linked, but as Excel files, which directly copy to the laptop/desktop) and (apart from the street cred of being the only teacher on the staff to use one) it has opened up many more opportunities than simply logging who's there or not.

PeterB (Cheltenham Kingsmead School)

Thank Post
    Dont know if this conversation is old. But we have bought lesson monitor recently and i have bought some eeepc and trying to install winxp pro but wireless is not working on the eeepc as i cant the driver the model which i am having is eeepc 900.

If you know one than that would be of great help.

Arpit

Thank Post

Talking LM Off-line - PDA

Hi All, We too are looking into the PE issue and have just got the new PDA Mobile software (v4.0) from SIMS. We have installed both the server and PDA software with ease, however, we cannot login with PDA. Call logged with SIMS, but will keep you up to date with progress.

First views thou look good.

Thank Post
    I had nothing but trouble with it.

Now I have 1 PDA running it, but only in offline mode. On WiFi no one can log on to sims mobile, on active sync no problem. So we first to sync and than give it to teacher. But sync takes ages to do.
    Marking attendance can be bit strange, not always keyboard will allow change mark from / to N for example.

Have no clue why WiFi does not work for LM Mobile when it does work for internet browsing etc. Asked question about it and was told that something is wrong with my wireless.

Not really a huge fan of this solution

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wishyboy View Post
    Hi All, We too are looking into the PE issue and have just got the new PDA Mobile software (v4.0) from SIMS. We have installed both the server and PDA software with ease, however, we cannot login with PDA. Call logged with SIMS, but will keep you up to date with progress.

First views thou look good.

Hi,

What PDA are you using for Lesson Monitor?

Thanks

Thank Post
    We've just ordered 7 PDA's, 5 for PE and two spares, (Ipaqs). Two have arrived, the rest wont be here for another month.

We're going to install SIMS Mobile onto them, another local school already has and they said it can be a bit fiddly to get going, but once it's up it's good.

I'll let you know how i get on, when i get round to it.....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12