+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Policy Central v6 in Technical; One of my schools has been using PCE for a few years and it's been ok apart from the far ...
    Thank Post

Policy Central v6

One of my schools has been using PCE for a few years and it's been ok apart from the far too many false positives. They are running 5.1.4.8 and I've been told v6 is just around the corner but it needs Java to run so that put me off for a start as I've removed Java from all the clients months ago.

Has anyone tried PCE v6 or is thinking about it? Like a said v5 is ok so don't want to move just because v6 is new and shiny

Thank Post
    The short answer is: yes

It requires 64bit java if installing onto a 64 bit machine.

But wait there's more!

It also needs

MS Visual C++ Redist for Visual Studio 2013 update (for 64 bit systems it needs the 32 and 64 bit packages installed)
    .NET 4

Also you need to make some changes to your firewall settings, your AV and it appears to want to have Full Control perms on a folder sitting on the root of the OS drive which I find a little disconcerting.

I have to roll this out across our network in the near future.

Thank Post
    It's the Java requirement that is putting me off so I'm going to hold out on upgrading for as long as I can.

Any idea what has improved in v6 over v5?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobos View Post
    It's the Java requirement that is putting me off so I'm going to hold out on upgrading for as long as I can.

Any idea what has improved in v6 over v5?

Well as luck would have it my attempted install today has failed due to some nasty error the msi spits out which I'm having to submit a support ticket over. It's most annoying (more annoying that I'm willing to type about) as I've had nothing but trouble in the past with this software.

The supposed benefits are orbiting around more monitoring functionality and better control systems as to what to ignore, I cannot verify any of this yet though as the swine won't deploy.

It is a real shame because the XP version worked very well, after that it all went downhill.

I will reply to this thread if I manage to get this package running and let you know how it's performing.

Thank Post
    what firewall changes did you need to make?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    The question is, what exactly is Java required for? If I uninstall it, will it stop Policy Central 6 working? If it's as easy as that to stop it, then I'd say the more 'self contained' version 5 is better.

It also requires many other components, including .NET, but you'd think most school deployments would have 4 or 4.5 installed already. The point is, installing .NET from scratch is a beast, which is why I also bung it on a master image.

I very much doubt I'd deploy the 'all in one' MSI. I believe it uses an out-of-date version of Java (not even 8 point something). How on earth can they justify getting schools to install an out-of-date version, when we all know it's got more holes in it than Swiss cheese!

The only issue I have with v5 is with infilter32.dll which crashes Internet Explorer, such as amazon.com believe it or not. If they patched that, it would buy us all a lot more time before rushing to deploy version 6.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The only issue I have with v5 is with infilter32.dll which crashes Internet Explorer, such as amazon.com believe it or not. If they patched that, it would buy us all a lot more time before rushing to deploy version 6.
    @Michael

Hi, Can you elaborate on this as I'm experiencing this exact problem here at the moment...

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Policy Central 5 overall works fine, however if they patched/updated the infilter32.dll file located in C:\Program Files\PCENT, this would probably buy us more time, instead of removing PCE altogether or rushing to deploy PCE6 only to discover this also will no doubt break something.

Neither Forensic or Link2ICT have given us any solid time scales or indeed any support cycles for these products. I was sent an e-mail weeks ago detailing the specific requirements of PCE6, but haven't heard anything since. I personally think the requirements are too high and deploying Java is something I try to avoid. Bearing in mind schools are paying for this, it's a bit of a joke really. I obviously have better things to do than keep removing and re-installing unreliable software.

9. Thanks to Michael from:

Trojan (12th December 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I obviously have better things to do than keep removing and re-installing unreliable software.
    Hear, hear..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread