+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Kudo Silent Deployment via SCCM 2012 that's actually silent!? in Technical; I've been requested by the IT department in my school to deploy Kudo Game Lab on the 100+ student machines. ...

Thank Post

Unhappy Kudo Silent Deployment via SCCM 2012 that's actually silent!?

I've been requested by the IT department in my school to deploy Kudo Game Lab on the 100+ student machines. Grabbing the package, creating the collections and deploying it is fine, however, when the software actually starts deploying in system software centre, it doesn't install silently and requires user interaction to complete (i.e. ask for language, save directory etc). Normally, all other .msi applications install silently with no problems, and this is essential, as I can't physically go round to every computer in the school and drill through this process (nor can I ask the students to do this). Anybody have a solution? The usual msiexec arguments aren't working either, and the windows installer appears to just hang in the processes (ctrl + shift + esc) when I do give it a go via cmd command.

Thank Post
    Have you made sure the XNA framework is installed first ? I just looked at my MST file and all I've done is change the short cut location; however I haven't installed the newest version yet until we get some graphic cards upgrades going in our machines so I don't know if there are any new issues to deal with. Are you using /QN switch for the installer?

Thank Post
    Hi Chris,
    Yeah, it set this as a dependency before deploying the application. This installs fine, it's just once the actual Kudo software starts that brings up the installer. I'm sure previous versions were successfully installed silently- so I'm baffled by why the latest version does not! No, originally, just msiexec /q /i "path" , and tried a few other variations without success. Just giving the /QN switch ago and it appears to have the same outcome of appearing to work, but the Windows Installer is just hanging in the processes list.
    This may be an interesting issue for you once you do deploy the latest version!

Thank Post
    The latest version seems to deploy ok on my CC4 network, all the CC4 install does is imply msiexec /i "<msi location>" /qn

The only thing I count not do was stop the auto updates as part of the install (even though it is in the properties table!). Following an old post on here though if you add /NoUpdate /NoInstrumentation to the end of the exe shortcut it appears to work. I have not found a way of stopping the annoying promo video the first time a user launches the software though.

Thank Post
    Can you not just put it out through group policy? I installed the prerequisites (.net was tricky, has to set a slient shecedule task to run the .exe) and then just deployed the MSI.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickC View Post
    Can you not just put it out through group policy? I installed the prerequisites (.net was tricky, has to set a silent scheduled task to run the .exe) and then just deployed the MSI.
    No, as I'd still need the script to install the software silently- which it's failing to do at the moment. We want to try and keep everything on SCCM anyway, as it's better to control the installations, as well as installing when users are/ aren't logged on. We've found that excessive Group Policy scripts really do increase the time it takes to log in- which isn't ideal in a school.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread