+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Dinnertime ICT Club in Technical; Hi guys, just wondering if anyone does an ICT club and what do you do? I've been asked to start ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Dinnertime ICT Club

Hi guys,

just wondering if anyone does an ICT club and what do you do? I've been asked to start one. I have a couple of ideas, but don't want it to be too boring.

1) Animation using a program called Monkey Jam.
    2) Some sort of image manipulation? Get the kids to "photoshop" themselves with a celebrity? Probably using powerpoint because of the picture format feature job.

I have a raspberry pi on back order and a robotic arm to go with it. Also got Lego WeDo coming shortly.

The kids I'm going to be working with are Year 4, sooo 8-9 year olds.

I'm not great at stuff like this, but if any of you have done it before and the kids have loved it, I'm willing to have a go.

ps/ I have full support from teachers and stuff - please no comments about that!

THANKS!

Thank Post
    I think there are some clubs around school, one of which is run by the ICT teaching dept after school.
    I personally dont get involved with it and if I was ever asked to would refer then to the teaching department.

I would think seriously about performing a teaching role if you are not a qualified teacher or if there is no qualified teacher supervising you, that's all I will say on this matter. If you are a qualified teacher then please ignore this last bit.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Nope, but there will be a teacher in with me. I am like the bridge between the teachers, all the amazing equipment we have and the kids and making sure the kids get the full benefit from all the expensive, cool stuff I am buying

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Our lunch club is turning into "Minecraft club".

It's annoying because they're using the web [Java/Flash] version, which fills their home directory [%appdata% to be specific] with files...

I was looking into Minetest a while back, but haven't had the change to test it with them.

5. Thanks to X-13 from:

Joanne (3rd June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    Hi guys,

just wondering if anyone does an ICT club and what do you do? I've been asked to start one. I have a couple of ideas, but don't want it to be too boring.

1) Animation using a program called Monkey Jam.
    2) Some sort of image manipulation? Get the kids to "photoshop" themselves with a celebrity? Probably using powerpoint because of the picture format feature job.

I have a raspberry pi on back order and a robotic arm to go with it. Also got Lego WeDo coming shortly.

The kids I'm going to be working with are Year 4, sooo 8-9 year olds.

I'm not great at stuff like this, but if any of you have done it before and the kids have loved it, I'm willing to have a go.

ps/ I have full support from teachers and stuff - please no comments about that!

THANKS!
    I've been asked to do the same thing! I've agreed to it as long as there is a member of teaching or support staff in the room with me.
    Does your school have an Espresso subscription? Their coding section is really good:
    Espresso Education - Espresso Coding - a brand new service from Espresso
    Its free for a while too - I love a bargain

I've been looking at the computing curriculum and its more about programming and control, rather than the traditional cut and paste images from google into a MS product!

I think I'm going to concentrate on real world stuff - I might get them re-imaging the Fizzbooks as they need doing at least once a month

7. Thanks to hallb15 from:

Joanne (3rd June 2014)

Thank Post
    I got asked to do a club after school I declined. Unless they are going to higher my salary I'll do what my job description tells me to do - well in fact I already do above and beyond that - point being be careful what you say yes to. You don't want to become a walking doormat where the staff expect to ask you to do something and you will always say yes!

Thank Post
    I have been doing a club with some of the higher level year 2s going through some coding with them. They used espresso coding to begin with but it was to easy for them. I now have them creating some little games in scratch and they are taking to it well I hope to eventually to have them create their own game from designing it to then creating it and sharing it to the other members of their class.

10. Thanks to Badzeye from:

Joanne (3rd June 2014)

Thank Post
    I run one, but I turned down the extra pay because the kids can be unreliable on coming and I can be unreliable on caring enough to do it, so it's hit and miss occassionally.

I only do it with year 6 because those are the only ones I can bear to talk to for more than 10 minutes. I have a group of 5-6 girls who sometimes I teach about computers, networks, programming (scratch/bit of python), computer components, etc.

Tomorrow I'm having them disassemble a computer and see if they can put it together and make it boot (I needed an excuse to throw it out anyway...)

Year 4s I'd only really trust with software, but see how they handle Scratch and Pi stuff! Scratch especially, give them a rundown of what the different types of blocks do and a task like a simple game or an animation.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bompalompalomp View Post
    I run one, but I turned down the extra pay because the kids can be unreliable on coming and I can be unreliable on caring enough to do it, so it's hit and miss occassionally.

I only do it with year 6 because those are the only ones I can bear to talk to for more than 10 minutes. I have a group of 5-6 girls who sometimes I teach about computers, networks, programming (scratch/bit of python), computer components, etc.

Tomorrow I'm having them disassemble a computer and see if they can put it together and make it boot (I needed an excuse to throw it out anyway...)

Year 4s I'd only really trust with software, but see how they handle Scratch and Pi stuff! Scratch especially, give them a rundown of what the different types of blocks do and a task like a simple game or an animation.
    Im sorry WHAT! You turned down extra pay....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    Bompalompalomp's only 18. She'll learn one day.

14. Thanks to X-13 from:

abillybob (3rd June 2014)

Thank Post
    Only because they said if I don't track my hours right I'd be in s***...

I don't trust myself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Bompalompalomp's only 18. She'll learn one day.
    Nineteen! And get ponyluna back!

Thank Post
    Only because they said if I don't track my hours right I'd be in s***...
    So.....? Track your hours man! God DAYUM!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Nineteen! And get ponyluna back!
    Still younger than me.

And no. I do what I want.

The new avatar is actually the right side of the same image.

Thank Post
    So.....? Track your hours man! God DAYUM!
    hahahahaha... Oh, you were serious.

I think it was really little anyway considering I only get to do it for about forty minutes max each time, and most days I can't be bothered and want to eat my soup in the staff room or play dorf fort for my lunchtime.

THAT BEING SAID... My kids are great. I'd feel like I was conning the school if I was being paid for it, because half the time I just use them for slave labour. "Put these cases on the iPads, install these, write me a newsletter! Hey can you guys check if this works? Okay now go play on the iPads, whatever."

Back on track though, I've found that as long as you make it fun they don't care what they learn. I once had them playing Pitfall from https://archive.org/details/consolelivingroom while telling them about the history of home PCs and consoles. Ended up with one of the kids having an epiphany. "Temple Run TOTALLY ripped this game off!!"

I haven't managed to wrangle a Pi or two yet (and I think it might be worth waiting for the rumoured new one), but it's probably one of the best ways you can teach them some early programming and introducing an OS other than Windows...

19. 2 Thanks to Bompalompalomp:

Joanne (3rd June 2014), Oaktech (11th June 2014)

Thank Post
    how about Arduino? Arduino - HomePage basic, cheap and fun electronics

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast