+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational Software Thread, Promissor Online Testing Software in Technical; Is this for the ALAN testing? i've had no such email and they have ALL of my contact details...
    Thank Post

Re: Promissor Online Testing Software

Is this for the ALAN testing? i've had no such email and they have ALL of my contact details

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry
    You should be receiving notification e-mails 30 days in advance when there is an upgrade to Promissor available. For the last upgrade all I had to do was uninstall server software (currently using a PC in the computer room as the Promissor server, but we will probably move it to the file server eventually) and install the new version. Then I went round each client, logging in as admin and running the Promissor client software which picked up the update from the server PC and installed it. Job done.

One reason the client software might terminate is that the 30 day grace period has probably ended.
    But that's the issue for me - yes I can just install it and it does work but...
    1) I have maybe 160 stations to install on so I have to msi it - too much to ask the provider of the software to provide one. Manual install not an option really.
    2) You say 30 days before but the upgrade I got came in and people scheduled tests two days later
    3) The software (client end) terminiates if there is an update available - nothing to do with grace periods etc.

All in all it's not the worst software but it's far from the best and I did use exambase and it was better.

Thank Post

The client software shouldn't just terminate if there's an update available. I updated our installation about a month ago: I downloaded the new server package which included the client update too, re-installed the server (on a PC in the same room as the clients), then once the server was working, I went round each client PC (logging-in as admin), running the client software and just clicking "Start" which made them update themselves.

Thank Post

Anyone have any ideas where I stand with the current MSI I'm deploying?

http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?nam...topic&p=134833

I'm going to run this on a test machine now and see if it requires an update?

I also received a phone call on Friday.

Thank Post

I've just looked and the upgrades software is on there site now.
    One thing I did notice I quote

"Installed testing centers are typically upgraded automatically; if your center is new or your upgrade was interrupted, you may download the current testing center software here."

I'm assuming because we have not run any test yet we are new :?

Thank Post

The 30-day upgrade period started Nov 2nd. If you installed the software before that date you will probably need to upgrade - the server software should tell you if you need to when you start it.

Thank Post
    We're running a Business Studies mock next week & would prefer not to get the "update needed, terminating" message!

Can anyone tell me what are the latest versions are for the Promissor server & client? Our server is v1.1.12.2 & client ("administrator"!!) v8.97.204.2.

Better still, can anyone tell me where I can find this info. on Edexcel or Promissor sites?

Thanks.

RoyG

Thank Post
    Hello all I am a newbie here but don`t hold that against me

The versions you have downloaded are the latest versions on Edexcel website the same I have too.

I`m also having problems upgrading there software on the clients, when logged in as admin the software finds a update on the server but just terminates on trying to install.

I have never created a MSI can anyone please advise me on the easiest software to use?

Thank Post
    Can anyone advise please...???

Thank Post

Aarrgghh!!

Well, we ran three sessions of the Business Studies Mock Exam yesterday and today. What a nightmare!!

The info. was supposed to be available 48 hours before the exam, but we only got the final bit 25 minutes before the exam started.

The registration details received from Edexcel were full of mistakes - it looked like the spreadsheet we sent them with all the candidate info had been transferred manuallly, not imported. Kids' names spelt wrong, mistakes in the times of exams, IDs & passwords that didn't work.....

After we sorted that lot out the exams themselves ran relatively smoothly. A few machines crashed, but the kids could reboot & pick up where they left off - except for one kid who couldn't restart on any machine.

The best bit was when we looked at the results print-out. 16 out of 75 were given no marks for correct responses and even the adding up of the marks was wrong for loads of them!!

All this does not bode well for the real thing in the summer. Not impressed!!!

Anyone else done this Mock yet?

RoyG

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Anyone else done this Mock yet?
    No, it wouldn't run resulting in a very p*ssed of exams co-ordinator and tutor. Although the Demo test went fine, the final test only showed blank pages. Edexcel maintained it was the version of flash - but we were using the latest - tried reinstalling etc. They then conceded it wouldn't run on terminal servers - having been told by edexcel earlier in the year that it would be fine -and having met the technical spec and successfully run the demo.(we couldn't run last years pilot because of the TS issue, this new 'tried and tested' version was supposed to solve this problem)

Thank Post
    I figure I may as well dredge this thread back up from the bottom of the swamp as create a new one...

Has anyone got a working MSI for the "administrator" software? If so, can I have it?! Presumably it would need customising with the correct share location for it to work.

We've got tests due on 25th and 26th Feb and it's taken almost a month to get the information we need out of Edexcel. Our exams officer was on hold with them for about 2 hours in total before getting a human. She then shrieked at him, "DO NOT PUT ME ON HOLD. DO NOT TRANSFER ME. YOU WILL SPEAK TO ME!". Ah, how I chuckled. They then told her that we shouldn't have faxed anything to them (despite the specific instructions to the contrary on their website) and that we already had all the information we needed (err, nope ).

I now find that everything about the Business pilot seems to have evaporated from their site and I'm typing in URLs from memory. Thanks Edexcel. You suck.

Thank Post
    We used Wininstall to create an MSI for the ALAN Administrator.

Set local folder permisions to full control on the promissor folder using group policy.

I would strongly recommend creating your own MSI for the program as you will have to set local values.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12