+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Accelerated Reader (from Renaissance Learning) in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

Accelerated Reader (from Renaissance Learning)

Just a little heads up on this.

I was stopped the other day by a DHT who told me a parent has downloaded an iPad app that allowed her and her child to do one of the tests at home.

I haven't had much to do with accelerated reader as it's all web based so phoned them to see how we could stop this. I was told that the terms and conditions of using AR state that pupils should not do tests at home, unfortunately we can't stop people doing things that they shouldn't be doing so needed a way to stop it.

I probably worded it wrong to their help guys but they told me the only way to stop people doing tests at home was to restrict access via IP address. I asked about teachers then accessing it at home, again could only be done by IP address. He expected all teachers that wanted access to have a static IP address so that it could be added to the allowed list. (I was also told that teachers don't take work home so there shouldn't be any need for them to access it at home?)

Anyway, after actually looking at AR I found in the Security Options section you can restrict the student only area by IP address. I've added in the local authority IP address and now it can only be used within schools. Teachers can still access their section within the site using their own details.

What it does mean is that each school how uses AR will need to add in the IP address facing out to the interent. Simple enough to do, steps are below.

1) Log in to ‘Teacher/Administrator' section
    2) Click ‘Renaissance Place’
    3) Click ‘Product Administration’
    4) Click ‘Set Security Options for Students’
    5) Click in the box on the right hand side and type in the appropriate IP Address
    6) Select the ‘Do not show’ option
    7) Click the Done button

Parents can still access the HomeConnect site to check on their childs progress.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 6th May 2014 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Spelling in title

Thank Post
    We've done it but our students have cottoned on - they can do the tests at home via our TS.

3. Thanks to Sylv3r from:

teddybear (7th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    We've done it but our students have cottoned on - they can do the tests at home via our TS.
    You can also specify time restrictions fir weekdays and to disallow weekends. This would prevent students except those home during the school day, ie off sick...

HTH,

Meldrew

5. 2 Thanks to Meldrew:

Sylv3r (7th May 2014), teddybear (7th May 2014)

Thank Post
    One of the problems even with setting the time restrictions is parents doing the tests for their kids during school time.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Reviving this thread if that's ok? We are currently looking at buying this in but seems a hefty price. We are KS3 EBD with 70 students. Feedback would be welcome please.

Thank Post
    It is a hefty price tag. We only started using it in the last few months, so can't really give feedback yet as its a bit too soon to say if its really improving reading skills yet, but I'd say one thing we missed is the amount of admin time it takes. I started by just setting up usernames and passwords and suddenly got overwhelmed by the amount of admin tasks I was being suddenly asked to do for AR. I have managed to sidestep much of the load and I now just create accounts for new users, but it does need thinking about in advance who is going to deal with this.

Meldrew

9. Thanks to Meldrew from:

speckytecky (18th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Your library needs to be stocked with a wide variety of books, I feel that we didn't invested enough funds in new books. We found that having books that meet the criteria for AR isn't good enough. If the students don't find what their reading to be engaging then you wont get the most from AR.

11. Thanks to jcs808 from:

Thank Post
    We have used AR for the whole of Year 7 this year and it has been a huge success.

We've turned it into a bit of a competition between the form classes and reading has been a major hit.

We also provide a 30 minute reading slot each week on a rolling timetable, which has also been a major benefit.

Other than initially setting the users up, I haven't had to do that much admin. The librarian manages it.

13. Thanks to Sylv3r from:

Thank Post
    We've just renewed after one year. We reviewed it first and I'd echo the need for librarian time, and add that we found lots of qualitative impact data but inconclusive results in terms of reading scores across the board. Worked wonders with some key pupils though.

15. Thanks to NotSoFast from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread