+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Visual Studio Express 2013 for Desktop in Technical; Hello I'm not sure that I'm about to post this entirely in the right area of the forum but here ...
    Thank Post

Visual Studio Express 2013 for Desktop

Hello

I'm not sure that I'm about to post this entirely in the right area of the forum but here goes anyway:

I have installed Visual Studio Express 2013 for Desktop to a shared applications drive and then used WPKG to rollout the shortcut on the clients but when accessing receive the error message: 'The program can't start because MSVCR120.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem'

I find this strange given that the application isn't installed to the computer to begin with and that 'missing' file is in the location where Visual Studio is installed.

I would use WPKG to rollout Visual Studio to clients but have read of the complexity and issues surrounding this.

Any advice will be welcome

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,446 Times in 1,894 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To clarify - you've installed an application to a network drive and expect it to work on different clients?

This won't work for many applications, especially not Visual Studio Express 2013. There are a load of DLLs and the like which get registered on installation.

You should deploy VSE2013 to each machine, for example with this command:

vs_premium.exe /s /noweb /norestart /CEIPConsent /AdminFile Admindeployment.xml /ProductKey *enter key here without the - symbol*

Obviously, altering the Admindeployment.xml file to do what you want it to do. (
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee225237.aspx has some details).

Thank Post
    This seems to be more complex than it should be:

Yes i have installed it to a network drive and then placed the shortcut to the executable part on the start menu so how comes it doesn't just pick up that everything it needs to run is in that folder where it's installed?

Plus I don't appear to have a product key or a Admindeployment.xml file so am I perhaps using the wrong download?

Thank you

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,446 Times in 1,894 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It doesn't work because that's not how Windows software of this level of complexity works. Visual studio installs a load of DLL files, changes system files, registry edits etc... It installs SQL Server Express by default also.

The admindeployment.xml file is something you create yourself, and the product code is usually gained after you install a copy of it. It used to prompt after installing with a link to get the code.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread