+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Music Software Domain Question in Technical; Hi All, We currently run Sibelius 7.1 and Cubase 7 on our Music computers which are not joined to the ...
    Thank Post

Music Software Domain Question

Hi All,

We currently run Sibelius 7.1 and Cubase 7 on our Music computers which are not joined to the domain and everyone logs on as a local user.

I have had a request from SMT to investigate putting these computers on the domain.

Now obviously I would prefer this from a management perspective but I need to consider the technicalities of actually running this software as a locked down regular student user.

I know in the past the conventional wisdom was to not have music computers on the domain for various reasons.. (which I'm not sure were all true to be honest.)

I'm wondering what the state of play is now regarding this, what do you all do with your music computers and joining them to the domain? Experiences of running this software on a computer that is domain joined?

Thanks in advance,

Nick.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We've done this here and regreated it. CuBase is a complete arse! Contacted Steinberg who said the configuration was not officially supported. We mostly get driver mapping errors that usually can be resolved by deleting the pupils profile.

3. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

Trojan (10th March 2014)

Thank Post
    I have had good results with Sibelius on a Windows domain, it would be best to upgrade your single workstation licencing to network licencing though. Once done you can install Sibelius on as many clients as you want, the licence server application deals with limiting the total number of simultaneous connections.

Sibelius support is also very helpful in setting this up (although there isn't much to it!).

5. Thanks to foofighterjim from:

Trojan (10th March 2014)

Thank Post
    No issues at all with Sibelius on a domain. I think Cubase works too.

7. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

Trojan (10th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We use Sonar X1 and Sibelius on domain joined PCs. Sonar took some adjustment and swearing but Sibelius just works.

9. Thanks to Norphy from:

Trojan (10th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the input everyone. I will certainly have to consider this very carefully.

DJL

Thank Post
    We have Sibelius 6, Sibelius 7, Cubase 7 and ProTools 11 all working our domain joined Windows 7 and Windows 8 computers.

They all worked out of the box for us. The only pain was adjusting the MSI's and scripting for an unattended install.

Thank Post
    Out of curiosity how did you get cubase 7 working out the box? Finding it's a bodge at every turn, won't install silently with keys, needs manual setting up per user profile etc

STeve

DJL

Thank Post
    I just edited the msi (Cubase7_64bit.msi) using Orca and set the property IAgree to Yes.

Then we use a startup script to install the software:

Code:
    IF NOT EXIST "C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 7\Cubase7.exe" start /wait msiexec /i "\\servername\Applications\Cubase 7\Cubase7_64bit.msi" /qn /lv c:\logs\cubase7.log
    We also did the same with all the VST effects and updates:

Code:
    IF NOT EXIST c:\Logs\Cubase7Updates.txt IF EXIST c:\Logs\Cubase7VST.txt IF EXIST "C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 7\Cubase7.exe" GOTO UPDATES

GOTO:eof

:UPDATES
    start /wait Msiexec -P "\\servername\Applications\Cubase 7\Updates\Cubase_7.0.5_64bit_Update.msp" /qn 
    start /wait Msiexec -P "\\servername\Applications\Cubase 7\Updates\HALion_Sonic_SE_1.6.3_64bit_Update.msp" /qn

ECHO Cubase VST Updates Installed > c:\Logs\Cubase7Updates.txt
    Code:
    IF NOT EXIST c:\Logs\Cubase7VST.txt IF EXIST "C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 7\Cubase7.exe" GOTO VST 

GOTO:eof

:VST
    start /wait msiexec /i "\\servername\Applications\Cubase 7\VST Sound\VSTAmp_Content_01.msi" /qn /lv c:\logs\CubaseVST1.log
    start /wait msiexec /i "\\servername\Applications\Cubase 7\VST Sound\Steinberg_Midi_Loop_Library.msi" /qn /lv c:\logs\CubaseVST2.log
    start /wait msiexec /i "\\servername\Applications\Cubase 7\VST Sound\Steinberg_Drum_Loop_Expansion_01.msi" /qn /lv c:\logs\CubaseVST3.log
    start /wait msiexec /i "\\servername\Applications\Cubase 7\VST Sound\Reverence_Content_01.msi" /qn /lv c:\logs\CubaseVST4.log
    start /wait msiexec /i "\\servername\Applications\Cubase 7\VST Sound\Retrologue_64bit.msi" /qn /lv c:\logs\CubaseVST5.log
    start /wait msiexec /i "\\servername\Applications\Cubase 7\VST Sound\Padshop_64bit.msi" /qn /lv c:\logs\CubaseVST6.log
    start /wait msiexec /i "\\servername\Applications\Cubase 7\VST Sound\LoopMash_Content2.msi" /qn /lv c:\logs\CubaseVST7.log
    start /wait msiexec /i "\\servername\Applications\Cubase 7\VST Sound\LoopMash_Content.msi" /qn /lv c:\logs\CubaseVST8.log
    start /wait msiexec /i "\\servername\Applications\Cubase 7\VST Sound\HALionSonicSE_Content.msi" /qn /lv c:\logs\CubaseVST9.log
    start /wait msiexec /i "\\servername\Applications\Cubase 7\VST Sound\HALionSonicSE_64bit.msi" /qn /lv c:\logs\CubaseVST10.log
    start /wait msiexec /i "\\servername\Applications\Cubase 7\VST Sound\Groove_Agent_ONE_Vintage_Beatboxes.msi" /qn /lv c:\logs\CubaseVST11.log
    start /wait msiexec /i "\\servername\Applications\Cubase 7\VST Sound\Groove_Agent_ONE_Content.msi" /qn /lv c:\logs\CubaseVST12.log
    start /wait msiexec /i "\\servername\Applications\Cubase 7\VST Sound\Groove_Agent_ONE_Allen_Morgan_Signature_Drums.msi" /qn /lv c:\logs\CubaseVST13.log
    start /wait msiexec /i "\\servername\Applications\Cubase 7\VST Sound\EuconAdapter65_64bit.msi" /qn /lv c:\logs\CubaseVST14.log

ECHO Cubase VST Plugins Installed > c:\Logs\Cubase7VST.txt
    We never managed to find away to install the eLicensor software for the dongles unattended - that's deployed in our standard image instead. In terms of profiles it just works - all users have user permissions and roaming profiles.

ProTools on the other hand is a complete nightmare!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread