+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Softlink Alice in Technical; Quick question - we upgraded from Alice to Oliver semi-recently, unfortunately our librarian was off at the time, now she's ...
    Thank Post

Softlink Alice

Quick question - we upgraded from Alice to Oliver semi-recently, unfortunately our librarian was off at the time, now she's back and wants some stuff she did in Alice that didn't (for one reason or another) get moved to Oliver.

Not really a problem - until she told me she can't remember the master password for Alice.

So my question is - is there a quick way to just force this to be reset or will I have to jump through hoops at Softlink?

Az

Thank Post

Re: Softlink Alice

I'd phone Softlink - I've never found speaking to Softlink to be a case of jumping through hoops, more a case of phoning up, asking a question and having an answer within the hour...

Thank Post

On a side note, what's Oliver like compared to Alice?

I hate Alice.

Thank Post

Oliver, less hassle to maintain than Alice - our librarians seem happy with it.

You just need to watch those macro security levels and VBA group policy settings with Oliver.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,318 Times in 800 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ooooh joy, we were alice and then we went to oliver. Its so bad it hurts. We have nothing but problems with oliver and softlink support so far has been very very bad.
    If you take a look at http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?nam...&p=49834#49834 you should see me and Ravening Wolfs comments.
    If I were you I would hit the "escape oliver" button if possible.
    The good thing about Alice was once setup it just worked.

Thank Post

I've always had really good support from them even though we boght it over 5 years ago.

I don't really see it very often, only when they moved from standalone to network computers and that was a year or so ago.

The Librarian is keen to move to Oliver at some point for the webaccess searchability stuff.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,898 Posts
    Blog Entries

We made this move a little while back, and we've had a few problems here and there. We have also had a mixed bag in terms of quality of tech support - some of their support agents are useless, others superb.

Overall, Oliver is better than Alice by far.

Thank Post

Alice worked pretty pretty much flawlessley since we've run it with relatively few issues(>5 years). Oliver on the other hand seems to be full of bugs and issues which really should have been fixed by now given how long it's been out for. The stock response from Softlink support seems to be 'We've tried it and it just works so it must be your setup....!'. We've not done anything unusual and all that's in our database are the files they've converted themselves from our old Alice install!
    I can't help but feel they've bought in the system from someone else, chopped it to fit and nobody in Softlink tech support has any real understanding of the how it all hangs together.

Thank Post

We were the opposite - we've had good support from Softlink - they migrated our old LIMES system to Alice.

We've had no end of hassles with Alice, things not working as they should etc. But their support has been great.

Oliver - a few teething issues but once they were cleared up, it just works for us.

Thank Post

It seems from some of the posts so far that people who have migrated to or from Alice have problems, those who have only ever run Alice or Oliver don't. I wonder if there's something in that...

Thank Post

We upgraded from Alice recently, and Oliver work greats we have had no issues to speack of and Softlink have been great aswell.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information