+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational Software Thread, Student Website Hosting in Technical; To be honest I've never tried installing something like that. Is it hard to do? I would like to think ...

Thank Post
    To be honest I've never tried installing something like that. Is it hard to do?
    I would like to think I'd be competent enough to work it out but I don't fancy taking on a massive project.

Thank Post
    Personally I wouldn't say its massive project, install windows 7 onto a machine, you will need a static IP address, so you will need to speak with your network manager for one of those.

Once windows 7 is installed, allow the ports in the firewall, or just turn that off, and then install a FTP / Web Server solution.

If its just for internal use, then you can FTP to the IP address, and FTP to the IP address to upload and view your files.

Where you will need more knowledge is if you want to patch / make safe the solution which you will need to do if you want to make it accessible form the out side world, else you will find it will get hacked within hours of it going live. Also to get your ISP to open the ports on your schools firewall.

TBH I would advise unless its needed you keep something like this internal for the students use.

Maybe someone on here has a guide on how to install / setup this service, if not I am sure if you google it you should be able to find a basic guide.

Thank Post
    Will every student will need a different log on, password and root directory as well?

Thank Post
    Hi

As far as I know, from experience from when I set this up last, and if I am wrong I am sure someone would put me right, each student will need there own account, unless you use 1 account and then get each student to create there own folder within it, but each kid will be able to see each others work and delete it also.

hope that helps.

Thank Post
    Have a look at the blog by Sonofsanta, Installing a PHP/MySQL Development Server for students on Windows Server 2012 - Part1 - Blogs - EduGeek.net and Installing a PHP/MySQL Development Server for students on Windows Server 2012 - Part2 - Blogs - EduGeek.net
    I used this but modified a few things as the teacher also wanted a PHPMYADMIN access for students to their individual databases and their own user account to put their files into so they could ftp using Dreamweaver. In effect, trying to replicate the user experience for the student.

6. Thanks to NikChillin from:

sonofsanta (3rd February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,524 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Web server is dead easy to set up. I wrote up a couple of blog posts (Part 1, Part 2) on setting up a PHP/MySQL server on Server 2012 for students. Takes an afternoon. We only use it in house here, but external access would be a case of external IP + new DNS entry + setting up the FTP. Since I've set it up here I've spent approximately zero minutes dealing with it.

I should really look to see when there's a second page of posts in case someone has already mentioned the thing I want to mention.

Thank Post
    Sounds like its something I could have a crack at. Will have to try and convince the Network manager to let me have a go at it...

Thank Post
    Going to give it a go just using FileZilla Server on a windows machine and see how we go

Thank Post
    I followed @sonofsanta 's guide. Works like a charm. Might try part 2 with sql next.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,524 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    I followed @sonofsanta 's guide. Works like a charm. Might try part 2 with sql next.

(here is some more writing to get over the minimum length)

Thank Post
    As a matter of interest, does anyone else use Dreamweaver cs6 to ftp and connect to their databases? Mine was working fine but now access to the databases fails with http: 401 error, however, using phpmyadmin access works fine. This is quite frustrating as the teacher wants access through the Dreamweaver interface.

Thank Post
    If you have a school M$ Agreement, cloud based SharePoint and basic Office 365 is available FOC. You can sync O365 with AD accounts and host student websites on SharePoint.

Compare Office 365 Education plans - Office.com
    Last edited by djm968; 28th March 2014 at 09:29 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanks, but the teacher wants to replicate a web hosting experience through Dreamweaver. Everything else works fine but this bit has stopped working for some reason.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12