+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Promethean Resources cd + MSI Install in Technical; Is it possible to deploy the Promethean Resources CD through GPO. I have over 50 laptops that do not have ...
    Thank Post

Promethean Resources cd + MSI Install

Is it possible to deploy the Promethean Resources CD through GPO. I have over 50 laptops that do not have the reosources disc installed on them. The staff have just had some trining by Promethean and now all want the software.

Has anyone done this, I tried to manually run the msi package that is on the disc but it threw up an error telling me it can only be run by the setup.exe.

Thank Post

Re: Promethean Resources cd + MSI Install

Did you have the latest version of Windows Installer on the machine? The Setup.exe usually just checks for the presence of this and installs it as required - although I'm unfamiliar with the Promethean stuff (in the land where only 2 whiteboards exist! )

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tosca925
    Is it possible to deploy the Promethean Resources CD through GPO. I have over 50 laptops that do not have the reosources disc installed on them. The staff have just had some trining by Promethean and now all want the software.

Has anyone done this, I tried to manually run the msi package that is on the disc but it threw up an error telling me it can only be run by the setup.exe.

Hi

As the msi is scripted and not basic you are unable to use the msi to deploy this. However once installed manually on a machine the only files that need to be copied are in the location

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\ACTIV Software\ACTIVstudio 2

We are in the process of doing the basic msi's for rm so they will be the same for gpo, yep we spent £8k for a RM server and workstation.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Dan Turner
    Promethean

Thank Post

If you can make the installation run silently, by adding parameters to SETUP.EXE, then it can be wrapped in an external MSI (see Windows Installer Wrapper Wizard in the Essential Software List)

Thank Post

I've successfully pushed out Activstudio 1 and 2, PX3 and resources for all three via GPO.
    You need to edit the MSI - in the property section add ISSETUPDRIVEN and assign it a value of 1.
    As we have a site licence, we then push out the licence files to the pcs in the startup script, so I don't have to go to each machine to register it.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Richie_OLSJ
    I've successfully pushed out Activstudio 1 and 2, PX3 and resources for all three via GPO.
    You need to edit the MSI - in the property section add ISSETUPDRIVEN and assign it a value of 1.
    As we have a site licence, we then push out the licence files to the pcs in the startup script, so I don't have to go to each machine to register it.
    How are you doing there at OLSJ. Have they got rid of those horrible 486 dell machines they had when I worked there, running Citrix. The kids still nuts.

Dan

Thank Post

Thankfully my predecessor got rid of citrix.
    We're now pretty much running all P4 Celerons 2.66 or better and a few P3 733MHz base units knocking around.
    Just had a set of new servers installed too.
    Yes, the kids are still nuts - some should make a nice career move to prison, whilst rest are practising saying "Do you want fries with that?"

Thank Post

Its the drivers that are annoying me. Theres never a msi version and they keep installing badly - have to go in manually and tell it the right thing from the "pick from the list" style thing.

Its been years - cant that be sorted out at some point guys?

So, anyone with a stable way to deploy the driver install via GP, including a way to do the fix automatically please let me know as soon as possible as I've installing the software all this week - tho i did manage to get some joy with ActivStudio itself deploying through the network on two of the machines - including resources.

Check my direct number in my sig if u can help and leave a message

Regards,
    Nath

Thank Post

The latest driver works for both the Promethean Activboards and the TDS Activboards.
    It is an msi (you can extract it from the exe) and it has pushed out over GPO fine

Thank Post

....um.... it seems that the Windows Installer Wrapper Wizard doesnt seem to work hehe I've just tried installing it from the link on the wiki, and have even been to the authors page and tried getting it but i get a error message of:

Component "COMCTL32.OCX" or one of its dependancies not correctly registered: a file is miss or invalid

Any ideas?

Cheers
    Nath

Thank Post

is that a problem with the wrapper or promethean stuff? have you tried registering that ocx? run the command:

regsvr32 COMCTL32.OCX

Thank Post

I've certainly not had any problems with pushing out the MSI for the driver, activboard software and resources by GPO.
    Are you using a recent version? Having said that I'm able to push out Activstudio 1 with no problems

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by StuartC
    is that a problem with the wrapper or promethean stuff? have you tried registering that ocx? run the command:

regsvr32 COMCTL32.OCX
    Sorry...

It that happens when trying to install WIWW tool:

when trying to register COMCTL32.OCX like you have wrote, I get:

LoadLibrary("COMCTL32.OCX") failed - The specified module could not be found.
    Just had a thought - it might require the VB runtimes [downloading VB6SP6B at the moment to try it].

On a different note, I cant get the latest promethean driver [3.0.5] to install on a machine I was just tryiing it on [and it worries me because i've got the same build of xp on alot of machines I need to install it on], I get the error message:

InstallShield

1608: Unable to create InstallDriver instance.
    Return code: -2147221164
    I also get a related I've got ActivStudio 2.1.x deployed through the GP on two PC's and it works great, the Resources install worked great too but on the same machine as the above driver problem, it doesnt install for some reason.

Its a fairly fresh install with other GP installs that have worked fine, so can anyone think of anything that could be missed that it preventing it from working?

Many thanks - my goose is gandered once again hehe
    Nath.

Thank Post

Have you installed the correct ISScript engine to go with it?
    Other than that I can't think of anything else, as I've had no problems with it

Thank Post

[i've extracted the driver hehe good old 'temp' folder - editing it now as per above to not require setup i hope]

hi again richie - glad your online to keep me from screaming lol...

I had ISScript installing through GP which seemed to be installed fine. I tried to install ISScript 10 but that wouldnt install. Some programs seem to need certain versions of it *coughs "prodesktop"* or I'd just try the one version.

UPDATE: Just tried installing ISSCript 8 and 10 manually, and they both installed fine. Still get the same message. Hope editing the msi instead will work :S

...what a day..... *cries*

Nath.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast