+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Edexcel Promisor in Technical; I have been told today that for functional skills we will need to install some software from Edexcel called Promisor. ...
    Gaz

Thank Post

Edexcel Promisor

I have been told today that for functional skills we will need to install some software from Edexcel called Promisor. So the first thing I did was to Google what the software was and I was greeted with some results from Edugeek dating back to 2009 and there wasn't a single post that had something good to say about it. Have I got a nightmare ahead of me or has it gotten better?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    I have been told today that for functional skills we will need to install some software from Edexcel called Promisor. So the first thing I did was to Google what the software was and I was greeted with some results from Edugeek dating back to 2009 and there wasn't a single post that had something good to say about it. Have I got a nightmare ahead of me or has it gotten better?
    Run... Run Now...

-Disclaimer- Based on experiences about 3-4 years ago.

3. 2 Thanks to bladedanny:

free780 (22nd April 2014), john (15th January 2014)

Gaz

Thank Post
    lol.

Well going off the old posts it looks like its going to be horrendous.

Thank Post
    Actually - it's not too bad now - we have it setup and it gives me no trouble what so ever!

Thank Post
    For me the problems usually occur when I need to reinstall the ESM Server software, such as when I rebuild the PC the software was installed on or if that machine is out of action and need to use a different PC to reinstall the ESM server onto.

I have it installed on a machine at the moment that could do with a rebuild but for now Iím leaving it alone, donít want the troubles I had last time!

The administrator client software usually works fine, though I have started getting a data path error which requires me to logon load the software and then log out and logon as the exam account. The share permissions are all fine so not sure why itís happening, just doesnít seem to find the share till I logon once.

Hope it doesnt break for you, fingers crossed.

Gaz

Thank Post
    We've just sent off the application form for the software. From what I can gather from the technical docs, there are 2 pieces of software Enterprise Site Manager and Administrator.
    Enterprise Site Manager sits on the server and the Administrator software sits on the client PCs, why on earth is it called Administrator if its what the clients will be using?

It says it requires adobe acrobat but we use Foxit does anyone know if thats OK to use. I really don't wanna install any shodware.

Under ESM Pre-Installation Tasks http://www.edexcel.com/Our-support/D...on%20Guide.pdf

It also says (I assume its refering to where you install ESM)
    "You need to create a shared folder called ESM_Test_Centre somewhere that is going to be
    accessible by the ESM software and all test taker machine login accounts, on either your local
    disk drive or a server. This can be created on a server which is running IIS or other web server
    software.
    "
    So do I need 2 servers/computers to run this? as later it says.
    "Ensure that IIS (Internet Information Server) or any other web server software is NOT installed
    on the machine designated for the Enterprise Site Manager application.
    This does not need to be
    installed on a server machine. "
    These two statements seem to contradict each other.

Thank Post
    I have the ESM_Test_Centre installed on the management server, that is fine, but if you use the server for other things, such as in my case IFS, which runs through an IIS service, then the two cannot run at the same time.
    I have to stop the IFS service before the ESM will run correctly.

So - folder+ESM = good
    ESM+IIS = not so good
    folder+IIS = ok but then we end up using 2 machines

hope that helps

9. Thanks to FeralAI from:

Gaz (6th February 2014)

Gaz

Thank Post
    That does help. Thank you.

We use IIS for quite a few things on our server (we only have 1) and I'm not about to stop it just to run this rubbish. So I'll need to setup a separate PC for this.

Did you follow their guidelines for setting up the shared folder? Do they really need full permissions?
    "All students and members of staff who will be using this software require full permissions to
    this folder. We recommend that a special test taker login account is created for student's
    rather than granting the permissions to their usual login. This will ensure that they only have
    these permissions under exam conditions
    while under the supervision of the Invigilator."

Thank Post
    Yes unfortunately you do have to give them full permissions on that folder, otherwise it just does not want to work. It's a bit shoddy really. The test taker special account is easy to implement , just remember to disable the account in AD when not needed.

12. Thanks to FeralAI from:

Gaz (6th February 2014)

Thank Post
    we put the share on the server then installed the esm server onto the exam organisers pc. fairly straight forward without any problems.

Gaz

Thank Post
    Thanks. How does the shared folder work? does the administrator software know where the folder is or do I need to create a drive mapping, the instructions tell me (albeit vaguely) how to install the software but not how it works.

Thanks for putting up with my silly questions.

Thank Post
    it asks you for the data path when you install the client you just put in \\server\share and you're good to go

16. Thanks to glen_j from:

Gaz (6th February 2014)

Gaz

Thank Post
    Excellent thank you.

Now I feel better equipped to install this, but I've still no idea why something like this can't all be done web based.

Thank Post
    no idea why they couldn't have made it more straight forward either i think we have at least 3 different exam applications installed now. if you get stuck or want to chat about it pm me and I'll give you my phone number.

azc

Thank Post
    The Promissor Administrator program is also very fussy about Flash versions. The only way to test if the software is working as it should (loading Flash applets, etc) is by running a dummy test. To run a dummy test you have to first call them up and book one. You might find yourself needing to either downgrade or upgrade your Flash player.

Regarding Abobe Reader, you need it installed on the server before installing ESM Server, or it will refuse to install. If I recall correctly, it doesn't recognise the latest versions of Adobe Reader even if they're installed. I think I had to install version 9, then install ESM Server, then upgrade Reader to the latest.

The reason you can't run ESM Server and IIS together is because ESM Server runs a web service on port 80. This is the interface your exams staff will use to administer tests.

Finally, ESM Server can't be run as a service. Your server needs to be logged in, with the ESM Server software open on screen, and someone needs to have pressed the 'Start' button for it to launch the web service.

20. Thanks to azc from:

Gaz (7th February 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast