+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational Software Thread, Edexcel Promisor in Technical; Originally Posted by azc The Promissor Administrator program is also very fussy about Flash versions. The only way to test ...
    Gaz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by azc View Post
    The Promissor Administrator program is also very fussy about Flash versions. The only way to test if the software is working as it should (loading Flash applets, etc) is by running a dummy test. To run a dummy test you have to first call them up and book one. You might find yourself needing to either downgrade or upgrade your Flash player.

Regarding Abobe Reader, you need it installed on the server before installing ESM Server, or it will refuse to install. If I recall correctly, it doesn't recognise the latest versions of Adobe Reader even if they're installed. I think I had to install version 9, then install ESM Server, then upgrade Reader to the latest.

The reason you can't run ESM Server and IIS together is because ESM Server runs a web service on port 80. This is the interface your exams staff will use to administer tests.

Finally, ESM Server can't be run as a service. Your server needs to be logged in, with the ESM Server software open on screen, and someone needs to have pressed the 'Start' button for it to launch the web service.
    Brilliant.

Why is this software so bad? who actually makes the software does anyone know? I'd like to get in contact with them and ask them why they are using vulnerable and outdated versions of flash and adobe.

azc

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    who actually makes the software does anyone know?
    Pearson VUE.

Gaz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by azc View Post
    Pearson VUE.
    What I meant was the company that actually developed the software. I'm sure Pearson would have had a company make the software for them.

azc

Thank Post
    ESMserver.exe is digitally signed by "NCS Pearson".

Pearson are a huge company, I don't see why they wouldn't have developers in house.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    What I meant was the company that actually developed the software. I'm sure Pearson would have had a company make the software for them.
    Pearson hold the copyright, but it's underpinned/supported but someone/something called CAT Global. You do have a world of pain waiting for you but it is easier than it used to be. I installed the Adminstator software on the Exam officer's desktop. It worked fine. If I remember rightly, it registers the computer it's installed on and it will only work on that computer there after. Part of their security policy I think. So don't do what I did. I set up a Lab, got it all working then transfered it all across the exam room. Spent 2 days trouble shooting with tech support before they said "what do you mean when you say it worked on your test computers?". On the plus side their tech support is very patient and will talk you through the whole process over the phone if you have trouble.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12