+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Edexcel Promisor in Technical; Originally Posted by azc The Promissor Administrator program is also very fussy about Flash versions. The only way to test ...
    Gaz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by azc View Post
    The Promissor Administrator program is also very fussy about Flash versions. The only way to test if the software is working as it should (loading Flash applets, etc) is by running a dummy test. To run a dummy test you have to first call them up and book one. You might find yourself needing to either downgrade or upgrade your Flash player.

Regarding Abobe Reader, you need it installed on the server before installing ESM Server, or it will refuse to install. If I recall correctly, it doesn't recognise the latest versions of Adobe Reader even if they're installed. I think I had to install version 9, then install ESM Server, then upgrade Reader to the latest.

The reason you can't run ESM Server and IIS together is because ESM Server runs a web service on port 80. This is the interface your exams staff will use to administer tests.

Finally, ESM Server can't be run as a service. Your server needs to be logged in, with the ESM Server software open on screen, and someone needs to have pressed the 'Start' button for it to launch the web service.
    Brilliant.

Why is this software so bad? who actually makes the software does anyone know? I'd like to get in contact with them and ask them why they are using vulnerable and outdated versions of flash and adobe.

azc

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    who actually makes the software does anyone know?
    Pearson VUE.

Gaz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by azc View Post
    Pearson VUE.
    What I meant was the company that actually developed the software. I'm sure Pearson would have had a company make the software for them.

azc

Thank Post
    ESMserver.exe is digitally signed by "NCS Pearson".

Pearson are a huge company, I don't see why they wouldn't have developers in house.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    What I meant was the company that actually developed the software. I'm sure Pearson would have had a company make the software for them.
    Pearson hold the copyright, but it's underpinned/supported but someone/something called CAT Global. You do have a world of pain waiting for you but it is easier than it used to be. I installed the Adminstator software on the Exam officer's desktop. It worked fine. If I remember rightly, it registers the computer it's installed on and it will only work on that computer there after. Part of their security policy I think. So don't do what I did. I set up a Lab, got it all working then transfered it all across the exam room. Spent 2 days trouble shooting with tech support before they said "what do you mean when you say it worked on your test computers?". On the plus side their tech support is very patient and will talk you through the whole process over the phone if you have trouble.

Thank Post
    Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help with Promissor please

The set up at the moment:

- ESM is set up on a different server.
    - I can administer a test account from a different computer, by logging into the Administer software.

The issue I am having, is trying to set this up for offsite use...where there will be no access to the internet.

One proposal is to download the test to a laptop whilst onsite, connecting to the ESM server...and then take the laptop offsite, uploading the results when onsite again. I am not sure if this is possible? and I could only book the demo test at certain times, I would like to have it administered at the testers convenience instead.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think that will be the only way to do it. While this guide is for functional skills I guess it'll be the same for most things - you'll be able to download 24 hours in advance and then take offsite, but would need to contact edexcel for more advice (page 16 is what your after ): https://www.edexcel.com/migrationdoc...de-2013-14.pdf

8. Thanks to Cache from:

cerebro (21st April 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks for taking the time to reply Cache, the guide is exactly what I was looking for

My understanding is that:

1) I log into ESM > Download Registration > Configure > File Transfer > Download TDF

2) Unlock the test in ESM

At what point should "Administrator" be started? Does it have to be fired up onsite and the student details entered in, or can this work with being disconnected from the internet. I will try out a demo test, but any feedback would be good.

Thanks
    Last edited by cerebro; 21st April 2014 at 10:49 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I must confess I've not actually done it so can't say. I've read something else since which suggests that the ESM should be installed on the laptop which is going to be taken off site (but then that would become a pain). I'm not sure whether you can log in as an admin to Administrator and download the test to the client in advance or not, your best bet would really be to give Edexcel a call. I've just uninstalled our ESM server so can't take a proper look I'm afraid.

Thank Post
    Hi Cache,

I have spoken to Edexcel. They advised installing ESM and Administrator on the laptop, and also creating a new venue ID.

-On catglobal, using the new venue ID information I could book a demo test.
    -However it did not show up on the ESM server.

I have the correct permissions set up:

" Each learner PC/login should have FULL read write permissions to the
    ESM_Test_Centre folder
     Each learner PC/login should have FULL read/write permissions to the Administrator
    folder on the C:\Program Files\Promissor"

They had closed for the day when I tried to inquire about this. But I am getting closer to get this done!

Thank Post
    Well looks like I must join the queue of people having problems with this software! I've got the share and the ESM server software on a server, all permissions as they should be... Trying to install the ESM Administrator software on a Windows 7 64 laptop- will ONLY run logged in as the domain admin. I've set up other users, given them full admin rights to registry entries, shared folders, program folders etc, but get runtime errors, and error 5209 every time I open the software.
    Anyone seen this before?

Thank Post
    Just called about a warning which says Im running Flash player 1 !!!! (was 13 ... ) and they asked me to downgrade to Flash player 9.5. I said thats not acceptable as the machines are in our main ICT suite !!! Not impressed which wing it with Flash 14 !!!

Gaz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jhothersall View Post
    Just called about a warning which says Im running Flash player 1 !!!! (was 13 ... ) and they asked me to downgrade to Flash player 9.5. I said thats not acceptable as the machines are in our main ICT suite !!! Not impressed which wing it with Flash 14 !!!
    Ignore the warning. The software is some of the most poorly coded software that I've ever seen. We've just done a test today and we are using 11 and 12 in that room and it worked fine. I do need to get around to updating them at some point but thats another story.

Thank Post
    Okay thanks Gaz, well I did the deployment manually it is some of the worst software I have seen for a while. To deploy and setup I really wonder why it isn't like Alfiesoft or CAT Tests ...

Gaz

Thank Post
    I also ignored the warnings about the screen size being too big some are 1920x1080 and some are 1680x1050 there was something strange when a user dragged the calculator to the side where there is a large white space it disappeared but not a massive hindrance.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast