+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Policy Central in Technical; Hello, Does any one have any experience of Policy Central from Forensic Software? There are several schools I know of ...

Thank Post

Policy Central

Hello,

Does any one have any experience of Policy Central from Forensic Software? There are several schools I know of which have PCE installed, however it is often completely ignored. I'm really looking to see whether there is anyone out there who uses it effectively!

Thanks,

Austen

Thank Post
    Hi Austen,

We have used it for several years and it works fine for us. We have it installed on all of our student machines and it catches a few screenshots every now and again. Overall our students are pretty well behaved and they know we have this software as it is in the student ICT AUP. If you have any specific queries feel free to PM me.

Many thanks

Stuart

Thank Post
    Hi Austen,

One of the Heads looks over it once a week and finds a few things that's the kids have been up to.
    Its all installed on our Kids Laptops. However I have started removing some PCE from teacher classroom PC as I find that PCE locks up and crashes the computer.

Steve

Thank Post
    We have it here. It used to be really good at catching transgressions. If a pupil typed in a barred word, it would be logged with a screen image showing the word and we could present the evidence. The latest version logs the incident but 90% of the time there's no evidence, so we can't do anything about it. You can normally tell from the context if it's innocent. It is quite good for filtering websites.

Thank Post
    I did try it but wasn't to keen. We eventually got rid of it and use Smoothwall now which was cheaper! They're only primary school kids so Smoothwall does us just fine and generated a report every month of the top 10 kids that were blocked and the categories they are blocked from so we can keep and eye out for certain children. If worcesterhsire have offered you this (I don't know where your from) then Smoothwall is 100 one off cost fi you can get by with just that but they don't like people knowing this for some reason!

6. Thanks to abillybob from:

laserblazer (9th January 2014)

Thank Post
    We used to have Policy Central but everyone eventually got fed up with is causing crashes and slowing the performance that we moved over to Securus.

Thank Post
    If worcestershire have offered you this
    They did provide it initially. I'll take a look at Smoothwall.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I have mixed feelings about Policy Central. On the one hand it complies with certain requirements, set by the LA or the school themselves, but in some cases it can generate hundreds or even thousands of logs everyday. It's a full time job in itself.

You also have to bear in mind it isn't multi-platform compatible. There is no iPad client for example, so you're just scanning users on Windows devices and not Apple or other. There's also no provision for BYOD either.

Gone are the days when we just had Windows networks. We're using multiple platforms or Operating Systems, yet Policy Central only focuses on Microsoft Windows. This makes the concept of keeping pupils and staff 'safe' completely flawed in my opinion.

10. 2 Thanks to Michael:

laserblazer (2nd May 2014), stevenlong1985 (9th January 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread