+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Quark 7 on Windows 7 in Technical; Anyone out there using Quark 7? We've used on XP for years and have been installing it recently on Windows ...
    Thank Post

Quark 7 on Windows 7

Anyone out there using Quark 7? We've used on XP for years and have been installing it recently on Windows 7 64 bit, which works fine. The odd part comes when you install it on Windows 7 32 bit and it all goes a bit weird. When you run it, it creates your preferences in your local appdata folder (i.e \users\<name>\appdata\Local\Quark) and this works fine on 64 bit installs. However, on 32 bit installs it creates these files in the root of the c:\ drive and also creates an empty folder called 'Quark' in the c:\ directory as well.

I'm not sure how the 64 bit version works and the 32 bit version doesn't, I've tried everything I can think of (searching the registry, copying the program folder from a 64bit install etc) but its as if this behaviour was hard coded into the program! Its an issue because students and staff can't write to the root of the c: drive and therefore the program bombs out with an error.

I've tried 7.1, 7.3,7.31 and 7.5 variants and so far all do the same!

Thank Post
    Well, I've had to admit defeat on this one. I've tried everything and on 32bit versions it creates files in places it shouldn't - so it must be coded into the application itself and I've got no control over that.

Looks like we won't be using quark anymore!

Thank Post
    Had a lot of trouble with Quark 7 on Windows 7 32bit spent hours on the phone trying to resolve, I do remember that we got it partially working only with one error on exit if it was installed under the local administrator account on the PC rather than domain user or admin which was out of the question weird I know but might be worth a try.

4. Thanks to lmgtfy from:

Sheridan (18th December 2013)

Thank Post
    I've tried running it as a local administrator, but not installing it. I might as well try that as I've done everything else!

Even if you run it across a mapped drive, it then creates the preferences in the root of that map (i.e x:\) so its obviously coded in there somehow!

Thank Post
    Yea in my opinion the software is written really badly in terms of getting it working on a network and to be fair I only installed it under the local administrator account to humour the support guy on the phone thinking no way could this make a difference but to be fair to him it did. I also just found my notes regarding the case:

Install Quark only under local administrator account not domain user
    Give everyone full permissions on these folders:
    1. Administrator\AppData\Local\Quark
    2. ProgramData\Quark
    3. Program Files\Quark

Hope this helps

Thank Post
    I wonder if my problem is different again, as changing the permissions on the Program Files and Programdata has had no effect, as the program doesn't even appear to write to those folders. It creates everything in the root of the drive its running from.

Of course quarks answer is to buy the latest version, but I don't think thats an option here.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread