+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, CoffeeCup Visual Site Designer in Technical; Hey all, I don't know if anyone else on this site has used this software or had to set it ...
    Thank Post

CoffeeCup Visual Site Designer

Hey all,

I don't know if anyone else on this site has used this software or had to set it up in a school based environment but I thought i'd try my luck here to see if someone has the answer i'm looking for.

Basically I've can't get the software working for standard users no matter what we try and it is becoming a pain because it will only work when an admin logs in and runs the software first then logs out. The teaching staff who use it are getting frustrated at having to login on each machine first as it consumes a fair amount of their time.

I've even contacted CoffeeCup themselves for assistance but they've basically told me that only Administrators can run their software.

I've been trying to get this working for almost a month now so any help anyone has would be appreciated greatly!

Thank Post
    Can you not run just the program in administrator context? In the properties of the exe under Compatibility can you not click "run this program as administrator"?

Never tried it myself but would seem to be there for situations like this.

Thank Post
    I used it in roughly 2005, I used it to teach myself programming, and have never looked back! (I went straight from this to Frontpage... I know i know )

(I know this has no relevance at all to the question, it just sparked a memory!)

Thank Post
    One of the first things they say at CoffeeCup is that you run it as an administrator in compatibility mode and set it to run in Windows XP SP2 as well.

Naturally that didn't work so I've been trying other alternatives.

Thank Post
    I've not used this but I have had to set up programs that say they need to run as administrator. Generally it's because they need read/write access to files in the installation directory. You could try allowing standard users read/write permissions to the coffeecup installation directory. If this works then you can probably remove access on things until you find the file required. This can be done through group policy if needs be through the file restrictions policy.

Thank Post
    The students have those permissions by default when the software is installed so I experimented with giving a test student account full control of all of the program files but that didn't seem to change anything.

Thank Post
    Hello,

I am having the same problem with coffee cup visual site designer none admin users cant access it. I have gave all domain users read\write access to the follwoing folders. Still nothing. Has anyone had any joy?

c:\Program Files\CoffeeCup Software

I have also sent a support ticket to Coffee Cup regarding this i got the follwoing reply.

"VSD can only operate under an Admin account. It will not function under a limited user account at this time."

Thank Post
    The only way I've found to get around this is to use a program called NetSupport to do a group login as an Admin first then log out which will then allow the program to work for standard users.

After talking to the people at Coffee Cup there doesn't appear to be anything you can do that wouldn't mean making the standard users administrators or by getting an admin to log in first.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread