+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Visual Studio 2013 in Technical; Previously when installation Visual studio 2010, i would untick SQL, F#, C++ and the other features that aren't used by ...
    Thank Post

Visual Studio 2013

Previously when installation Visual studio 2010, i would untick SQL, F#, C++ and the other features that aren't used by students to save on disk space (SSDs after all) but with visual studio 2013 these options appear to have been taken away.

There's some adjustment in that i can remove SQL and the features using the /adminfile admindeployment.xml method and editing the xml to say "no" to everything. But there's no option to get rid of C++ and F#, i only need visual basic and C# installed, does anyone know a way of doing this or am i stuck with it?

Thank Post
    Out of interested, how did you install Visual Studio 2010 for your students to use?
    There are many discussions on Edugeek on how to do this; varying from installing locally, using remote desktop (with Visual Studio hosted on a 2008 R2 Standalone Server) to using VirtualBox with read-only (XP?) images on each and every workstation.

I just require Visual Basic (with no SQL, etc.) and wanted to use 2010 version, to link in with Office 2010.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank Post
    Mine are installed locally - Creating an unattended installation of Visual Studio 2010 for use with SCCM. | d4rkcell.com deployed via SCCM silently, previously we installed them locally manually which was a bit of a pain.

The only issue we encountered running it was when a project wanted to be run and it required opening a command window it stopped working becuase we had software restriction policies in place to stop .bat .cmd etc etc file types from running in students home folders. I did something different to allow this to work but still keep the same level of security........I cannot for the life of me remember what i did :|

What point are you having issues with?

4. Thanks to mrbios from:

MYK-IT (8th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks @mrbios

I'm still at planning stages yet...I've recently been asked by our ICT (Teaching) Dept if we could install investigate the feasibility of installing and using it for student's ICT lessons; and to see if there are (or would be) any issues using it (i.e. security, .EXE files etc)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MYK-IT View Post
    Thanks @mrbios

I'm still at planning stages yet...I've recently been asked by our ICT (Teaching) Dept if we could install investigate the feasibility of installing and using it for student's ICT lessons; and to see if there are (or would be) any issues using it (i.e. security, .EXE files etc)
    Best option really is to install it on one PC and try using it as both a teacher user and student user, obviously all our networks are different in the way we've implemented policies and restrictions so you could encounter various issues when it comes to compiling projects.

Down the line you have to work through the issues of ensuring students can't run scripts on your network, we had one smarty pants student a few years ago that realised he could create batch scripts to do things he wasn't allowed. I remember making a thread here asking about how to switch away from software restriction policies to something as restrictive but more flexible, which i think is what i implemented but i can't find it...

Thank Post
    Worth noting for visual studio 2013, that it can be deployed silently either via command line or through an SCCM package using the following command:
    vs_premium.exe /s /noweb /norestart /CEIPConsent /AdminFile Admindeployment.xml /ProductKey *enter key here without the - symbol*

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread