+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Problems with Acrobat 7 MSI! in Technical; Hi folks! I've been lurking around the site for a few days and just *had* to join - tis brilliant!! ...

Thank Post

Problems with Acrobat 7 MSI!

Hi folks!

I've been lurking around the site for a few days and just *had* to join - tis brilliant!! (well done lads!!! not laughed so much in ages!)

errrm anyway, here's my situation:

* New job
    * New to RM (*flinch* ARRG! KILL! KILL! KILL! - this I picked up after about a day of using it)
    * New to creating/using MSI's (infact, before starting here I'd NEVER created one - knew what they were but that was about as far as I got)
    * I'm currently working my way through creating MSI's of the mountains of software my beloved manager (*wave*) has set aside for me
    * Have created an MSI of Acrobat 7, and it works.... but when you log on as a different user and try to access a PDF, or (worse yet!) the shortcut to acrobat it displays the 'Windows is installing Adobe Acrobat 7.0' dialog and proceeds to take about a minute to install it before executing the program

any idea what I'm doing wrong?

cheers!!

Mal

PS I appologise for the general 'newness' motif, but we've all gotto learn at some point

Thank Post

Re: Problems with Acrobat 7 MSI!

See AppDeploy.com (mentioned in this weeks podcast) for details on how to deploy Acrobat reader 7:

http://www.appdeploy.com/packages/detail.asp?id=404

-Kev

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's working correctly (as far as it does for me). It's just setting up the user settings I think (please feel free to correct me anyone), but alot of my .MSI's do this the first time a user runs them.

Thank Post

That ususally indicates that its setting up things that are missing from the profile. If you use mandatory roamin profiles, Maybe its time to rebuild it.

I find that checking the registry for changed entries and then exporting them with the REG command into a file, means they can be automatically set up by running import or load with the REG command from a file at logon. Stops annoying MSI messages when you first launch an application.

-Kev

Thank Post

You don't need to create an MSI for Acrobat 7. It comes with one. When you run the .exe downloaded from Adobe, it unzips the .msi to a temp folder. I can't remember where it is - I think it's in the 'local settings' folder in your profile.

Run the .exe, but don't go through the install wizard - just leave it. Search for *.msi files. I think it's called Adobe Reader 7.0.msi. Copy this and all the files in the folder with it somewhere else for deployment.

I've created a .mst transform file which removes the desktop shortcut. (I like to keep the desktops tidy). You can have a copy of the .mst if you like. When you add the .msi to the GPO, go to the modifications tab and add the .mst.

Thank Post

Dos_box is right. A lot of .msi's seem to do more installation when the user first runs them. All it's doing is setting up files in the user's profile. MS Office does it too.

Thank Post

Thanks for the fast response folks!!

Appdeploy.com is handy, I've used it to download the tuner package and am currently having a play to see what tweeks can be made.

I also think that Dos_box is right in saying that it is just setting up the user settings each time a new user logs on, but the thing is that I don't remember this happening for the v5 or 6 msi's (which, incidently I didn't create). I was thinking more along the lines of it being some daft setting which needed to be added to the 'all users' folder in the 'documents and settings' directory.

*shrug*

I'll have a go at using the msi which came with the package next as Overworked suggested.

thanks again!

Thank Post

AdbeRdr705_enu_full.EXE /v"/qb EULA_ACCEPT=YES"

That works for me!

Thank Post

Guys - visit m' site and extract my AR705 dist - the tweaks one is just a reg import at the end of the install - if you are having trouble finding where the msi is extracted to hehe

I'm trying to work out how to get any msi's to work through GP at the moment.

Nath

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread