+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational Software Thread, Any primary schools out there doing 3D printing? in Technical; Another drawback for the Cube3D is that you have to buy their own printing filament....
    RTi

Thank Post
    Another drawback for the Cube3D is that you have to buy their own printing filament.

Thank Post
    Indeed! Having said that, the amount you use is very small and so the running costs isn't massive. We did find this ingenious (though probably completely illegal)http://hackaday.com/2013/04/26/cube-...bulk-filament/

Thank Post
    I have used Google Sketchup with Year 5s and I know that I can translate sketches into 3D printer compatible files as I did one once and sent it to a fellow geek to print on his printer so I think that we be OK with an open-source type printer.

I think I need to get out and actually see a few in action before rushing into buying but its a new concept for primaries so some risks got to be taken

If it doesn't work out - I'll buy it off em for 50% of price

Simon

RTi

Thank Post
    Just came across this on the App Store:

Modio ? 3D printing app for iPad

Looks great for Primary kids creating robot models etc. Once you have finished your model it places everything on your buildplate; just browse to the IP of the iPad and download the .stl or .thing (Makerbot) file.

Will try this at home on my printer and update results.

5. Thanks to RTi from:

SimpleSi (6th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Has anybody had a look at the UP! Plus 2 3D printer? We are doing really well selling these to both primary and secondary schools they are by far the best 3D printer on the market and have won a number of worldwide awards. The model is fully automatic, has a very high resolution print quality (smooth touch) and uses both PLA and ABS and are much quicker to setup meaning that class lesson times aren't wasted. The MakerBot model is not automatic, and the resolution is much lower - the unit also only takes PLA which is quite a grainy material when printing. I would definitely recommend the UP! Plus 2, we assessed the whole market place before pushing these out to education and the UP! Plus 2 by far supersedes rival models.

Price wise, the UP! Plus 2 is considerably cheaper than the MakerBot range - and is a really easy to use 'out-of-box' / 'plug and play' printer! If anyone would like any further info please give me a shout.

Thank Post
    @SamElphick
    I imagine that there are more points wrong with your post than what I'm going to come up with so be prepared for more feedback

1. Your post is close to being marketing spam

2. Selling an expensive open printer to primaries has so many things wrong with it I don't know where to start.

3. I can't be bothered to go on

but hyperbollik statements are NOT a good way to get any business with anyone here

Simon
    Last edited by SimpleSi; 9th July 2014 at 09:47 AM.

8. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

SamElphick (9th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Whilst the Up! Plus 2 is a very good printer the Makerbot range is also excellent. The resolution is slightly better than the Up! Plus 2 on the Z Axis The MAkerBot range does cover PLA and ABS with the MakerBot 2X taking ABS. The UP! Plus is 2 optimised for ABS printing hence the heated print bed, it can be used with PLA but its mainly built for PLA. If you are comparing the output from the UP! Plus 2 and the MakerBot range it is very difficult to split the quality. The MakerBot Mini is comparative in price to the UP! Plus 2 infact it is slightly cheaper but the UP! Mini does come in at a lower cost.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12