+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Music software - RehearScore in Technical; Our music teacher went out and bought some software called RehearScore for an upcoming show called Little shop of horrors. ...
    Thank Post

Music software - RehearScore

Our music teacher went out and bought some software called RehearScore for an upcoming show called Little shop of horrors.

This software is only small and is meant to play the midi files of some music in the show (i think) so that they can learn it, BUT the software is dreadful, you run the installed and it installs all the files needed for the program into the users Roaming Appdata folder (o_O) and just puts the executable into program files. Which means you have to install it for every individual who wants to use it.....which isn't possible seeing as our students are on mandatory profiles and the profiles are wiped off the machines on logoff.

So....has anyone solved this yet? I've got an email of the guy the teacher bought the software from and I'm going to complain about the way in which this installer works, as frankly i think installing files into the users appdata in order to use the software is an incredibly **** way of doing things. Very fitting for the educational software section i think.

Thank Post
    Exact same scenario here only a month later than you.

Crap software, crap install, crap crap crap... Still looking for solution.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,990 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tefters View Post
    Exact same scenario here only a month later than you.
    Put the files in a shared folder on the server and add a link in the madatory folder's appdata? [And add any registry keys that are needed on the machine.]

Could trick it into thinking it's installed.

Thank Post
    We had exactly the same problem. Installing program data into the user's profile is complete bovine turd - why on earth would it need to go there?! To prevent other users from using it? But they say that it can be installed on an unlimited number of machines, so WTF is going on?

Anyway, I solved it by shoving the 'RMS' folder onto a share, putting a batch script in the program folder that copies the data to the user's profile and then runs RehearScore. Create a shortcut to the batch file as opposed to the RehearScore exe and you're good to go.

Code:
    @echo off
    robocopy "\\SERVER\SHARE\RMS" %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\RMS /S /R:1 /W:1
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\RehearScore 2.0\RehearScore.exe"
    You might want to block that folder from actually roaming so the files only end up on machines that the user needs to use RS on.
    Last edited by FishCustard; 15th November 2013 at 04:14 PM.

Thank Post
    I think i ended up taking the midi files, converting them and then just sticking them somewhere they could access them to play through VLC or on to a CD for them to play.

I can't remember exactly now but it was only a group of 6th formers that needed it and they're done now.

Still, I've advised that member of staff not to bother again.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread