+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Pearson onscreen platform installation woes in Technical; Originally Posted by clareq Before I start creating my CC4 packages, are there any permissions I need to set? No. ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by clareq View Post
    Before I start creating my CC4 packages, are there any permissions I need to set?
    No. Well we didn't need to.
    Running an actual exam at around 11 today...see what happens.

Thank Post
    Just found out that we'll need to use this software soon - oh dear god.

Thank Post
    Well after the stories on here I thought I would have problems. But it seems to have just worked.

main software is installed on a server on the none proxy vlan.
    AD software deployed to exams department
    Invigilator software to whiteboard machines in each room
    Exam software to the clients in rooms.
    All three above via MSIs

Invigilator account is set as a roaming profile otherwise it does not load
    exam test account is set as a mandatory profile

Only problem is that when the AD user or the Invigilator user uses t he software they need to point the client to the server as its on a separate vlan.

When the exams take place the invigilator logs on the exam accounts and make sure it points to the correct invigilator for computer for the exam.

Thank Post
    We done the test and it kinda worked.
    For some reason, it crashed out totally and wouldn't let the admin login.
    Quick call to Pearson, they done something their end, and we were away.
    Next time will be summer...

Thank Post
    Can anyone help me with the copying the files to the user profile using Group Policy Prefs? I have created a policy thats applied to the exam user and added the 6 files into the files section of the GPO as create but they dont appear when the user logs in. Does it create the folder if its not there just by copying files? Am I doing something obviously stupid! My destination for the files is C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\TdpClientData

Thank Post
    Well, I've just been through this lot. Can't say I was looking forward to it, but it wasn't as bad as I'd anticipated.

I did everything the install guide said (port 443, btecng pearson endpoints, opened two ports for communication), plus opened extra ports 52222-52250 as per a post from aliaspeter earlier in this thread, and all seems to be working. Not sure whether I needed the extra ports, as I think I put them in before realising a different issue.

My proxy is set as proxyaddress="http://192.168.x.yort/" - I know there's been discussion on the required format, with or without the slash, but it works for me like this.

I had missed one step but using their Diagnostics tool told me where I'd gone wrong - fair play to them for creating this, and to those people on this thread who read that paragraph in the install guide and mentioned it here; I'd completely missed it several times. Note you do need to stop the ECS service on your server before it will run.

One thing to make sure you're all aware of - make sure you force a Test Violation when you are testing, so that you and your exam team know how to resolve it. To force one, press Ctrl+Esc (which would usually bring up start menu). You'll get a pretty screen saying you've lost focus during your test, and to call your invigilator - who won't have a clue what to do and nor will you if you haven't experienced it. There is a super secret process to unlock the test and allow you to continue, which I WON'T post here as it is a public forum - Pearson want you to ring their support line in the middle of the exam and get straight through to a very helpful person who will immediately help you. Of course, you will always get this when you ring Pearson so there's no problem, is there?

Also one to note, if you do find the test crashes or suchlike, if you force a Test Violation you then have an option (following the super secret process) to terminate the test - this does allow the candidate to re-login to the test. In my minimal testing, I was able to restart the test from the beginning with another 60 minutes on the clock (whilst other candidates only had 57 minutes left) - not sure what happens if you crash out 45 minutes in with 75% of the test complete, whether you get another 60 minutes and have to restart all questions again.

With regards the TestPlayer deployment, my experience (RM CC4 network) is that it doesn't matter where a test user logs on, whether they've already used TestPlayer in another Room/Invigilator or not - the settings stick with the PC (albeit in the users' AppData folder) - maybe to do with how RM set up Roaming Profiles, I don't know.

We are therefore deploying one copy of TestPlayer wherever it's needed, without setting the MSI properties. The first time it is run on a PC, it searches for the Invigilator PC - as long as the exam team, invigilator, whoever you choose selects the right Invigilator PC in the room once, then next time anyone logs on to that PC it will use the same Invigilator PC. If you need to change the Invigilator PC used for an exam in a given room, that's when a problem occurs and you need to delete the config files*. If a user moves to another room for a resit another day, they get the settings of the PC they've moved to - if it hasn't been used before, it searches for an Invigilator. If it has been used, it uses the Invigilator in the room. It doesn't, in my experience, try and use the Invigilator in the old room.

(*Config files: c:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\TdpClientData)

Hope this helps anyone else setting up this software.

Peter
    Last edited by howartp; 30th January 2014 at 01:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Funnily enough, found this thread when Googling the software. Have a learnt a couple of things.

So did people have to end up installing the test player manually and inputting the name of the PC that the invigilator is at? Is there a way of automating this process via the msi and push it out via Impero or group policy?

Quote Originally Posted by howartp View Post
    With regards the TestPlayer deployment, my experience (RM CC4 network) is that it doesn't matter where a test user logs on, whether they've already used TestPlayer in another Room/Invigilator or not - the settings stick with the PC (albeit in the users' AppData folder) - maybe to do with how RM set up Roaming Profiles, I don't know.

(*Config files: c:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\TdpClientData)

Hope this helps anyone else setting up this software.
    We have students' temporary folders on the C drive delete after logging on - so that tdpClientData would get deleted. For other exams like Pearson's ALANTests and exam access software from WJEC - we log on to machines with the same AD user account and give that one account local admin access to write to the C drive per machine. From the sounds of it that sounds like what will happen.

Thank Post
    C drive is access is punishable by death! LOL

Thank Post
    Wow sounds like you've all been having problems with this for a while, just started using it at our place and the problems have already started!

I've installed ECS service on the server and with the MSI's that the ECS service creates I've installed the Administrator Dashboard successfully and the server is showing in the admin dashboard. When I come to install the Invigilator Dash it looks to install fine but when I come to launch the program from the desktop sc I get the attached error (see attached screenshot)

ECS, Administrator, Invigilator and player dashboards are all on the same network and all ports are available to these.

I have tried re-installing the ECS service on a different server and I've also re-installed the Invigilator Dash to try and resolve the issues.

Also made sure the PC has visual C++ and framework 4 installed.

Anyone got any ideas? or seen this before?

I've been on the phone to them twice, they asked for a screenshot I emailed one over, on the 2nd phone call I found they lost my email so doesn't give me much confidence that 3rd line support will be ringing me anytime soon!

Thanks in advance.

Attachment 22745

Thank Post
    I can't view your attachment - comes up as an invalid type!

Thank Post
    I can't see the attachment - it's giving me an error.

We haven't installed the test player software yet as I haven't had an opportunity to get to the rooms we're using (that's my half term week sorted). But It's looking like running the install manually (or at least trying to use mimic scripts from Impero) after I got the helpful "we only support what we tell you in the userguide" response from support. Yup.

Thank Post
    Attachment 22746Just tried installing as domain admin and it runs now, looks like some kind of mandatory profile problem, will have a read back through this tread.

All users - pupils and teachers load a mandatory profile, if theres anything I should know about running this sw in this environment would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks in advance,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by deanrawlings; 6th February 2014 at 05:04 PM.

Thank Post
    We are running yet another demo test tomorrow to see if we can get this c**p software working. Been at since before Christmas!!!!!!!!!!! It still won't play the video in one of the demo questions, which is required for the test the school wants to run.

Hate it with passion, my last 2 emails to support have gone unanswered - I think I may have annoyed them to death

Thank Post
    That account needs a roaming profile.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,797 Times in 1,548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hate to day it but i got mine installed in about 2 hours without issues. The lack of silent install for the test player is a major let down. There where also some steps missing from the documentation.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast