+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Pearson onscreen platform installation woes in Technical; We did a live test the other day and everything went swimmingly, no problems and the exams officer was a ...
    Thank Post
    We did a live test the other day and everything went swimmingly, no problems and the exams officer was a bit taken back how simple and seemless it was.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhoward_westexetc View Post
    Well I managed to get it installed (after some entirely random glitches where some test player machines would connect to the invigilator station and others wouldn't).
    I have this EXACT issue. What did you do to fix it? We've just had to postpone an exam 20 minutes before start time because I couldn't get the exam clients to talk to the dashboard consistently.

We actually have run two of these tests last year without any hiccups, but that was on our old flat network. Not sure if the software likes VLANs or not....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDay85 View Post
    I have this EXACT issue. What did you do to fix it? We've just had to postpone an exam 20 minutes before start time because I couldn't get the exam clients to talk to the dashboard consistently.

We actually have run two of these tests last year without any hiccups, but that was on our old flat network. Not sure if the software likes VLANs or not....
    I used the info from @skell in post 17 and took the 6 files from the user profile of a working system and copied them to a central location. Using Group Policy Preferences, I deploy them to only our exam user (no other). You need one set of files per room, so you need to apply the policy to the computer group but apply to the user using loopback and item-level targeting to only deploy to the user concerned.

12 random machines across both rooms each worked perfectly. I am going to do another demo test on Wednesday to ensure that 24 machines connect and upload at the same time.

Thank Post

You need to enable igmp on your switch vlans. You should only need to do this on the switches used for the test short term, but more are handy.

Had this recently using a laptop for a student that was allowed to do a test on their own away from the other students.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 25th November 2013 at 09:40 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I used the info from @skell in post 17 and took the 6 files from the user profile of a working system and copied them to a central location. Using Group Policy Preferences, I deploy them to only our exam user (no other). You need one set of files per room, so you need to apply the policy to the computer group but apply to the user using loopback and item-level targeting to only deploy to the user concerned.

12 random machines across both rooms each worked perfectly. I am going to do another demo test on Wednesday to ensure that 24 machines connect and upload at the same time.
    @dhoward_westexetc use WMI queries instead of a loopback, much more reliable.

6. 2 Thanks to FN-GM:

dhoward_westexetc (25th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    @dhoward_westexetc use WMI queries instead of a loopback, much more reliable.
    Will bear in mind for next time, but I am happy with it working so I daren't mess with it!

Thank Post
    Anyone having problems with it no running any video on the demo test? Im just getting a blank square...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    You need to enable igmp on your switch vlans. You should only need to do this on the switches used for the test short term, but more are handy.

Had this recently using a laptop for a student that was allowed to do a test on their own away from the other students.
    Ok. I can do this!

It doesn't explain why machines on the same VLAN are still not talking though. This has been a stressful Monday, I'll see if I can get one worker so I can try dhoward's idea...

This might actually be the worst software I've ever had the 'pleasure' of using. Their support team are abysmal too...

Thank Post
    Ok. I can do this!

It doesn't explain why machines on the same VLAN are still not talking though. This has been a stressful Monday, I'll see if I can get one worker so I can try dhoward's idea...

This might actually be the worst software I've ever had the 'pleasure' of using. Their support team are abysmal too...
    Hence why I am testing it so much! I will have run 3 demo tests of 5, 5 and 24 clients before the first live exam in December!

You are using the new November update I assume (probably yes if you have installed it recently, as I guess you have?)

Thank Post
    Hence why I am testing it so much! I will have run 3 demo tests of 5, 5 and 24 clients before the first live exam in December!

You are using the new November update I assume (probably yes if you have installed it recently, as I guess you have?)
    It's so annoying. Having already used this software in the past I assumed this would be a doodle to set up, safe to say I was wrong. I actually managed to run 4 demo tests, and on Friday I had three rooms totalling 28 machines all connected to their respective dashboards. Come in this morning to find red crosses on most, with no apparent pattern or reason. Going to try your suggestion now... Wish me luck!

Thank Post
    It's so annoying. Having already used this software in the past I assumed this would be a doodle to set up, safe to say I was wrong. I actually managed to run 4 demo tests, and on Friday I had three rooms totalling 28 machines all connected to their respective dashboards. Come in this morning to find red crosses on most, with no apparent pattern or reason. Going to try your suggestion now... Wish me luck!
    You have my best wishes for a successful resolution.
    Just remember to start the Invigilator dashboard on a fresh boot of Windows, I have had this happen to me!

Thank Post
    duplicate post :@

Thank Post
    Further to my question above re - video in the demo, has anybody from a Leeds school got this working? Or anybody got it working on Windows XP clients? Yes, yes, I know we should be on 7 by now!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by themightymrp View Post
    Further to my question above re - video in the demo, has anybody from a Leeds school got this working? Or anybody got it working on Windows XP clients? Yes, yes, I know we should be on 7 by now!!
    If you are using XP then, from reading the instructions, you need Windows Media Player 11, .NET Framework 4 full version, and Visual C++ 2012 installed.

Thank Post
    Yeah got all of those, the software itself seems to be running fine. The only issue I have is that the video which is part of the demo test isn't doing anything. We are getting conflicting responses from Pearson, some say that there is no video on the demo, others say there is - otherwise why have a question with one on!! So I don't know now

Does anyone know if the video downloads to the server and streams from there or whether it streams live across the web?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast