+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, SmartInk Layer Problem with Powerpoint 2010 *Please Help!* in Technical; Afternoon all! I'm having a right drama with Powerpoint and the SmartInk software at the moment, wonder if anyone has ...

Thank Post

SmartInk Layer Problem with Powerpoint 2010 *Please Help!*

Afternoon all!

I'm having a right drama with Powerpoint and the SmartInk software at the moment, wonder if anyone has experienced this?

Our school has approximately 100 SMARTBoards and we run the SmartNotebook Version 11 on all of the PC's (Windows 7 32 bit) attached to them.

We rollout the Smart suite of programs over the network, for the last year or more everything has worked fine with the system.

However approximately 4-8 weeks ago a problem has begun occuring across the school when using the SMARTInk software with Microsoft Powerpoint (we use Office 10 here). Teachers began to report that the Smart pens were no longer working within Powerpoint instead they were defaulting to the Microsoft Ink settings (i.e. the pens wouldn't draw anything they would just move the cursor around the screen)

Upon further investigation it appears the the SMARTInk add-in is not loading up correctly on Powerpoint (it still works fine on Excel and Word). When I check the add-in section of Powerpoints options it shows as inactive and despite setting it to load on startup it still will not load.

One interesting thing I have noticed that upon doing a fresh install of the SMART suite of programs the very first time you load up Powerpoint and go to the add-in section for the Powerpoint Smart Ink add-in it states "Not loaded. A runtime error occurred during the loading of the COM Add-in." this only appears the very first time you load Powerpoint.

I reiterate that the Smart Programs still work fine with Word and Excel it is only effecting Powerpoint and we have made no changes to our machines in the last couple of months (outside of MS Updates).

I've tried all the obvious things like reinstalling both office/smart programs, I even downloaded the latest 11.3 version of the SMARTBoard apps and tried installing them... same result... everything works fine except in Powerpoint.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Neal

Thank Post
    had a similar issue with win 7 and office 2010, is the os enabling "flicks"? i found that if you diabled flicks and reload word/power point the smart plugin works properly and the addin panel at the office product says "microsoft pen tools" and it allows you to write over your documents rather than acting as a mouse?

not excatly your problem but something worth trying?
    IMO the new smart board software is ball ache and it all centres around "smartink" its a damn resource hog

PS: if flicks is enabled there will be an icon in the systray with a hand in the middle of blue/green arrows

Thank Post
    Hey thanks for the advice

I just checked one of the machines involved and it did have Flicks enabled, however disabling it didn't resolve the problem (thanks for the tip though).

I've logged a support request with SMART (since their crazy telephone number for UK support doesn't seem to work in any combination I can see!)

Neal

Thank Post
    I've yet to test this, because I assume I need to have a board connected before it'll work, but looking at SMART Tools the old pen options are still there in the floating tools. Could they not use that?

Thank Post
    Its weird but with this error even if you choose say a pen from the SMARTBoard sidetoolbar it still won't work when you try and use it within Powerpoint. Did some more tinkering today, completely removed Office & Smartboard software from the machine, removed all leftover files etc then reinstalled them both... it still fails to load the SmartInk Powerpoint add-in.

Neal

Thank Post
    Has anyone figured this out? I had the user use a transparent background, but am hoping for a better fix.....

Thank Post
    is it loading smartink in power point or using microsoft ink?

Thank Post
    It says that the SmartInk Add-on is loaded when I go in through options in PPT, I get an error for MS Ink upon start-up, saying it can't be loaded.....

Thank Post
    id say that MS ink and the smarttools ink are conflicting

Thank Post
    Hello All,

We have had the same issue here at our school, you can add a registry key in to set the COM add-ins to load on startup here's a useful MS KB: No Add-ins loaded due to group policy settings for Office 2013 programs. Be careful though and don't make the same mistake that I did and rolled out this key to all site as this will cause an error in Powerpoint on machines which do not have Notebook software installed. Doh! We also found that an reinstall of the product didn't work however, if you cleared the users local profile off the machine and reset their redirected app data this also worked. Maybe something you should try?

Thank Post
    Thanks, the SmartInk is loading, so I don't think it's policy.....Is MS Ink something I can disable?

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanks, our users would rather use the SmartInk and disable the MSInk.

Thank Post
    Not sure if anyone is still having problems with this. If you upgrade to Smart Notebook 11.3, there is a specific option in Smart Ink Settings that relates to Microsoft Office.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread