+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Uniservity in Technical; Originally Posted by tosca925 Ia any one using/seen UniServity cLc Learning Platform? I have been asked to have a look ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tosca925 View Post
    Ia any one using/seen UniServity cLc Learning Platform?

I have been asked to have a look into it?

Comments please?
    We're Currently evaluating Uniservity. We're part of the first phase of the roll out.

Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester View Post
    We have it, all it can say that its the biggest pile of cr*p i have ever seen. Moodle all the way for me. Sorry to be so blunt
    I have to agree with the above statement unless your a primary school where is it has more of a use.

Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    1) How much space do pupils and staff get for there own area ie for eportfolios.
    You can set a limit and you can view usage. Space can be allocated on a user basis so if you want to allow some users more space than others then that isn't a problem.

Within East Sussex there is a school quota of 50Mb per user ie (50Mb * (no. pupils + no. staff) this quota can be quota as per the school requirement into user/department quota. This size is too small if your school has used moodle as our moodle vle is about 5Gb and i know a school were theirs is 9GB.

2) how much space is there per department/faculity for puting worksheets documents and resources.
    I don't think there's a limit. I've just looked at our disk usage and it says unlimited. Your LEA may set a limit though on the amount of space you can use.

See above answer.

3) Can users access there school work area throu Uni Ie if thay are working at home and forgot to drop work in to there uni area can this been done or will thay have to use a third party program link easylink.
    No, you cannot access the network through the VLE. You can import users from SIMS though.

4) What type of resources can you NOT use on uni system
    What do you mean? Are you talking about file types etc?

Well any really large file, as uniservity slows to a crawl at lunchtime as every school is hosted on the same infrastructure.

5) What features/goodies is there that the school can use
    There's a lot of things which you can make use of such as forums, to do lists, markbooks.

The Main thing is it doesn't do is integrate with sims, uniservity's biggest selling point is it's integration with sims but doesn't exist yet as confirmed by capita (because they haven't written it yet)

6) Does anyone have any instructions sheets, informations sheets that we cna have that will help us explain it to our staff.
    I suggest reading through this to find out more about what the system has to offer. You can use information from this to create guides for your staff.

http://www.school-portal.co.uk/help/...s/default.html

If there is anything else you want to know then post here or PM me and I'll try to help answer the questions you have.
    My advise is if your a secondary school don't waste your time with it, moodle is a better option. There is limited integration with sims with will be extended in the next few weeks when i release a vb script to AD and SIMS.net with all the feilds required by moodle. I also have the documentation for the IMS interface of SIMS.net, i will be looking to create some moodle modules to make the integration better with sims.net with the end goal to allow moodle to write back to SIMS.net once capita finish the writing back part of IMS

2. Thanks to penfold_99 from:

webman (29th April 2008)

Thank Post
    Moodle is great, I agree. UniServity isn't that bad though.

Thank Post
    Is it possible to create quizzes, assignments etc as can be done on moodle?
    So far all I see is the "all important" eportfolio!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    Is it possible to create quizzes, assignments etc as can be done on moodle?
    So far all I see is the "all important" eportfolio!
    You can create surveys but not quizzes. You can create assignments though.

Thank Post
    You can create surveys but not quizzes. You can create assignments though.
    Thanks, I guess I'll have to bin all my moodle quizzes when we move over to uniservity then

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Thanks, I guess I'll have to bin all my moodle quizzes when we move over to uniservity then
    you don't have to move -just because the local authority bought it doesn't mean you have to use an inferior product. Keep with what you have until uniservity meets your needs. you might have a long wait.

Thank Post

Can the quizzes you have done be tweaked to be scorm compliant, if so I think you would be able to import them into Uniservity afterwards.

Thank Post
    Not necessarily. Moodle can export tests in several ways. If I was you I'd at least export them in various formats including doing a CSV dump via MySQL. You may have a problem with images or other files used in tests. I know there was a QTI import plug-ins for Moodle and so maybe there is a QTI export by now? All Becta framework platforms have to support import of QTI standards assessment items.

HTH

Thank Post
    Blackburn with Darwen has, I believe, paid a small fortune for this "VLE" on the recommendation of primary school teachers and NOT IT staff.
    To be honest, the system does look good for primary schools as it is very basic and has few features. However, as it is so limited, generally unreliable, doesn't integrate with the school's network and doesn't have decent SIMS integration it is pretty much useless to most secondary schools.
    We will be sticking with our Frogserver (FrogTeacher - Learning Platform, Personalised Learning, VLE, Digital Environment), which can do everything Uniservity can do plus a lot more.

Thank Post
    The use of StudyWiz in Oldham is not as we'd expected.

The e-portfolios are a cost option to each school and the price quoted by SW is outrageous. We'd been hopeful that the e-portfolio would be a fully managed service but given the cost and our really slow net speed it just isn't going to work. Even hosting ourselves will be hit and miss due to poor net speed.

Added to that the MIS integration doesn'e exist and when it does arrive it will be a module that schools will have to pay extra for.

Thank Post
    We (Bolton) have gone with Uniservity too. I went on a day long training course with a degree of scepticism , but I was pleasantly surprised. Uniservity wasn't that bad, in fact I thought it was OK.

I'm still waiting for my admin/super user login details so I haven't been able to play with it in any meaningful way yet, but from an initial few hours I could see that our school could work with it.

However, if I was to be totally honest, I'd still prefer Moodle - free, flexible and purely because it's 'open'. If I want a feature that isn't available I can hone my PHP skills and make it.

No other VLE can provide that (I think)

Thank Post
    We got a guidance sheet to look at for the Uniservity SIMS integration install on Friday. There looks to be quite a few implications with the way it sets up in regard to other stuff we have running. Has anybody bit the bullet yet and what problems can we expect

Karl, you installed it at CS yet?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by conehead View Post
    We got a guidance sheet to look at for the Uniservity SIMS integration install on Friday. There looks to be quite a few implications with the way it sets up in regard to other stuff we have running. Has anybody bit the bullet yet and what problems can we expect

Karl, you installed it at CS yet?
    Don't suppose you could send me that sheet to look at? I'm still not entirely sure how SIMS works with UniServity.

Thank Post
    Don't suppose you could send me that sheet to look at? I'm still not entirely sure how SIMS works with UniServity.

I only have a faint photocopy currently, I will try to track down a better format for you rather than scan that.

Thank Post
    SIM's integration and UniServity...is there ANYONE out there that has integration with SIMs through the UniServity platform?????

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast