+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Eclipse hosted - anyone else have speed issues? in Technical; We have utilised eclipse hosted solution for a number of years now and it has worked fine, recently however they ...

Thank Post

Eclipse hosted - anyone else have speed issues?

We have utilised eclipse hosted solution for a number of years now and it has worked fine, recently however they have updated their system and since the back end of 2012 we have had nothing but issues relating to the speed of the site itself, drop down menus not populating for a while, searches of students taking significant time, imports from SIMS not completing etc.

MLS have made many attempts to find fault with our internet connection and the bandwidth, despite upon testing finding it to be perfectly acceptable. They have never really got to the bottom of it, and with budgets looming i'm considering alternatives.

However.... I have found a few posts on a yahoo forum about similar issues at other schools, but wondered if anyone on here has had similar instances and how you have managed to resolve them? The Library staff are keen to remain with MLS despite the poor performance in a hope it will be resolved, however after 6 months of a tug of war type situation I am sceptical.

Thanks in advance

Thank Post
    We have bought MLS recently and honestly, if the person who ordered it saw the system how it is today, then I would wonder why they ordered it. Ever since we have owned it (about 2 months) I would say it was awfully slow, considering the cost of the system I would have expected a much better solution.

The main page seems to take a while to open, it gets to 100% then sits there for about 5 seconds, the menus move like they are in a timewarp and the search takes a few seconds to open every time.

3. Thanks to Achandler from:

Max_Power (22nd May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    We have bought MLS recently and honestly, if the person who ordered it saw the system how it is today, then I would wonder why they ordered it. Ever since we have owned it (about 2 months) I would say it was awfully slow, considering the cost of the system I would have expected a much better solution.

The main page seems to take a while to open, it gets to 100% then sits there for about 5 seconds, the menus move like they are in a timewarp and the search takes a few seconds to open every time.
    Thanks @Achandler sounds like we are in the same kind of boat. May I ask if you have reported your concerns to MLS and how they responded?

Thank Post
    We never reported the problem because that was "normal" to us.

What filtering are you using by the way? I don't think it would effect it but it is good to check these things.

Thank Post
    We use smoothwall. Nothing being blocked in there, all looks fine and dandy, even had it going straight out through firewall but didnt help. Also have a backup ASDL line here, and putting it on that didnt help.

Thank Post
    We use smoothwall to, though I am inclined to think it isn't the problem. Have you tried it from home by any chance, so then we could rule out Smoothwall?

Thank Post
    We use JuniorLibrarian.net hosted, not Eclipse but still hosted by MLS and its sloooow. Spinny thing when you scan a book and have to wait an age, 15 - 20 seconds to open page. Not sure what filtering is used - we go through Leeds Learning.

Thank Post
    I'm confident its not smoothwall, having completely bypassed it and after using two different internet connections both straight out through the firewall and a variety of machines it produces the same slow issues.

Thank Post
    So it appears the whole software is slow. I shall raise a ticket about it, the more people who raise the problem, the more likely it is to be solved.

Thank Post
    Is it anything to do with it being Silverlight? Have you tried the HTML version?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread