+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Windows (7/8) Tablets - In the classroom in Technical; Hi We are looking to deploy a class set of Win 7 or Win 8 tablets for use as a ...

Thank Post

Windows (7/8) Tablets - In the classroom

Hi

We are looking to deploy a class set of Win 7 or Win 8 tablets for use as a dual resource (with keyboards for use as a laptop also) for our Maths department, and I know that schools out there will have done so but I was wondering about your experiences, and how it has affected teaching and learning? We are thinking of Win 8 so that we can put apps on there for pupils in the lower sets to use to help with numeracy but at the same time the older pupils can run software such as Autograph...

We have a single unit in the department and they are very keen on rolling it out.

If you have any experience in this, and any thoughts on how they are used, could you please let me know - agibson@stmaryschesterfield.org.uk

Thanks in advance

Andy Gibson
    St Mary's Catholic High School
    Chesterfield

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi Andy,

Sounds to me like you don't really need the touch element of the tablets here? I reckon you would do better with a suite of small (12.1") laptops running windows 7. If only for the massive cost saving.

I know windows tablets (especially those with keyboards) are usually in the higher price bracket.

You could almost get yourself a set of laptops and android tablets with bluetooth keyboards for a fraction of the price.

If you want to know more about how we could help you out feel free to give me a call / email

Thank Post
    Hi Dave

The Maths dept have specified that they want to be able to use the touch element alongside Apps to help with quick-fire mental arithmetic. The reason we were looking at the ones with keyboards and Win 8 was to allow them to be used for different purposes and their existing software. This is why we have been investigating this route.

We have been looking at the Acer W510P for this as we will be able to join them onto our domain.

Andy

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ahh I see,

Well that makes windows 8 Pro essential then.

Have you looked at the HP Elitepads? They're competitively priced and there are a number of bluetooth keyboard options out there.

Thank Post
    I'd stay away from the elitepads we had a couple to test, weigh alot, clunky things.

Be interesting how this works out for you, we have looked at the windows tablets but choosen to stay away for now because of price. Could really be a game changer if they sort out the app store and pricing in education.

Thank Post
    Looking into the same things, i just sent back a trial Elitepad, i thought it was ok, that chunkiness might come in handy when a kid smacks it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by agibson View Post
    We are looking to deploy a class set of Win 7 or Win 8 tablets for use as a dual resource (with keyboards for use as a laptop also) for our Maths department
    Have you thought about the Acer W510 or similar? Full multi-touch tablet device, but with proper detachable keyboard.

Obviously, if you're after something with a bit more horsepower then there are other options, but might be worth a look!
    Last edited by jamesbmarshall; 5th June 2013 at 03:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Another vote for the Acer W510. We have just bought 30 and am very pleased with them. Also the keyboards have a battery in them which will charge the tablet even if its not plugged into the mains (as long as the keyboard has charge in it).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread