+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, software licencing question in Technical; If a teacher brings in their own iPad and uses it and the apps they have bought themselves for teaching ...

Thank Post

software licencing question

If a teacher brings in their own iPad and uses it and the apps they have bought themselves for teaching there lesssons, where does the school stand in terms of licencing?

thank you

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 821 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's not a school device, and not using a school licence - IANAL but I reckon that excludes you from any responsibility for it.

3. Thanks to Domino from:

TronXP (20th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TronXP View Post
    If a teacher brings in their own iPad and uses it and the apps they have bought themselves for teaching there lesssons, where does the school stand in terms of licencing?

thank you
    I dont think its the schools issue really is it? Her personal ipad and her personal purchases....might be worth them checking what apps and what the EULA restrictions are though.

5. Thanks to Hefferzzzz from:

TronXP (20th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefferzzzz View Post
    I dont think its the schools issue really is it? Her personal ipad and her personal purchases....might be worth them checking what apps and what the EULA restrictions are though.
    Thats what I am trying to do, I have no issue with them using their own devices\apps but I don't want the school getting fined because the licencse is personal and not to the school.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TronXP View Post
    Thats what I am trying to do, I have no issue with them using their own devices\apps but I don't want the school getting fined because the licencse is personal and not to the school.
    I cannot see the school being fined for it at all. If it was a school ipad then maybe but not if its their personal one and their personal purchases. You dont have any control over what they install, look at, show other people in the same way as you couldnt be held responsible if they illegally downloaded some music and used that in their lessons?

Thank Post
    Might be an issue if they access anything that's on the network and requires a CAL.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thinking about it, the OP has asked a very interesting question. Is the school sanctioning the use of this device for teaching and learning? Is any of the software on it licensed "not for commercial use"? What about insurance? What happens if it's broken or stolen whilst at school? The question about CAL's is another good one, is it connecting to schools internet or printers? Does it have to authenticate to get that access?

Thank Post
    This is the generic EULA for apps from the apple website

APP STORE PRODUCT USAGE RULES

(i) If you are an individual acting in your personal capacity, you may download and sync an App Store Product for personal, noncommercial use on any iOS Device you own or control.

(ii) If you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, you may download and sync an App Store Product for use by either (a) a single individual on one or more iOS Devices used by that individual that you own or control or (b) multiple individuals, on a single shared iOS Device you own or control. For example, a single employee may use an App Store Product on both the employee's iPhone and iPad, or multiple students may serially use an App Store Product on a single iPad located at a resource center or library. For the sake of clarity, each iOS Device used serially by multiple users requires a separate license
    Now the way I read that was, if your using it for personal use then thats fine. If your commercial or educational its fine as long on a device owned\controlled by the business\education.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @TronXP, my reading of clause (i) would be the teacher can't user apps on her personal iPad to teach lessons as that would constitute a commercial use. The problem for the school isn't so much the EULA itself, but knowingly allowing an employee to breach it on their premises.

12. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

TronXP (20th May 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread