+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Unable to create a silent installer for SMART technology suite ...? in Technical; I have been trying to create a silent installer with the Install Manager. When I try to use the SMART ...

Thank Post

Angry Unable to create a silent installer for SMART technology suite ...?

I have been trying to create a silent installer with the Install Manager. When I try to use the SMART program installer (thats an exe) that I downloaded from the website, the manager says that it is not a valid Smart installer. However, if I use the SMART installer msi, it recognizes it but every person who wants to run the installer then needs administrative privileges.
    How would one create an installer from the exe seeing that one does not need administrative privileges to run?

Additional Info:
    My school uses Windows 7 os and Novell ZenWorks 11.2.2 for students to install/run software.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To install software, you need administrative privileges. The exe might open, but it won't install properly - it'll prompt part way through asking for elevated privileges.

Thank Post
    I've gotten the exe to install properly, I just can't get it to run silently or be used with the Install Manager. Also, I can't get the msi to run on my admin account with out being told I don't have privileges to run the installer.

Thank Post
    Hi, I recently wanted to create a silent install for the SMART Suite + Smart Response to include product registration. Were slightly different in our deploy were using Microsoft MDT 2010 / WDS and only really using it for machine builds (done on the lab desk with admin rights).

I have just discovered Group Policies Objects (GPO) (in the last week) so will be trying to move to that for client push rollouts, and that will allow a GPO to be applied to machines for software installs (silent and with elevated rights). I've currently got a couple of test installers working (Adobe Reader, Flash, shockwave and working on trying to get a java updater, but that comes with its own headaches).

It looks like you are already using the Smart Install Manager, so you should already be able to create your custom MSI/MST for install. You may not be able to create an installer that doesn't require elevated rights.

My main Installer runs this:
    msiexec.exe /i "SMART Education Software 2012.msi" TRANSFORMS="KISD Smart.mst" /qn

And I run a batch file from MDT to run multiple installers for SP1 (server name removed):

Start /wait msiexec.exe /p "\\<server name>\Software\SMART\esi2012sp1\CommonFiles_11_1_x _1.msp" /qn
    Start /wait msiexec.exe /p "\\<server name>\Software\SMART\esi2012sp1\drivers11.0sp2patc h.msp" /qn
    Start /wait msiexec.exe /p "\\<server name>\Software\SMART\esi2012sp1\notebook11_sp1.msp " /qn
    Start /wait msiexec.exe /p "\\<server name>\Software\SMART\esi2012sp1\response_4.0_sp1.m sp" /qn
    Start /wait msiexec.exe /p "\\<server name>\Software\SMART\esi2012sp1\SMARTInk1.1.PATCH. msp" /qn

Hope some of this info is a help.
    Last edited by mikeyd101; 12th April 2013 at 06:24 PM.

Thank Post
    I don't want to put how you do things where you work but I am not sure if it can be applied to how my school does things.

I know my school wants it so that a student clicks on the icon in ZenWorks and it installs in the background (since not every computer on campus needs the programs/most student's will never need the programs). No dialog boxes and no status bars. Just a bubble that pops up when it starts and ends.

With group policies, we have every student with on extremely limited accounts, along with professors. I don't think we can apply elevated rights to an object with ZenWorks.

We also have it set up so that no student account is connected to the file server and in ZenWorks the programs are found using a web address [I forget the technical name for this] like so: (\\applications.something.something.edu\applicatio ns).

I greatly appreciate your help and I will try to find a way to apply it to this problem but, I kinda came on here to find out why I can't use the .exe to create the silent installer with the install manager... :/

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The exe is not compatible with the install manager, only the msi is. I really don't understand how you can install software without elevated rights though.

Thank Post
    Possibly a script to add them to a group with the assigned software and gpupdate, may still require a reboot. The GPO should be able to install software assigned to computer using the system account. I have very limited knowledge of the inner workings of GPOs atm so you'd need to test.

Thank Post
    Is zen application virtualisation? The app manager may be capturing the install.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by daihoshi View Post
    Additional Info:
    My school uses Windows 7 os and Novell ZenWorks 11.2.2 for students to install/run software.
    ^^ That is the important part.

I haven't used Zenworks for desktops for app delivery for years, but you should be able to install as admin easily.

From what I remember though you don't deploy the .msi itself, but use a Zenworks tool to take a state capture of a test machine, install the app, terminate the capture and it then builds a deploy package for you that the users can then go into their "My Apps" or whatever folder and run to install it themselves.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread