+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, SolidWorks Education Edition 2012 Install problem in Technical; Hi I’m attempting to install SolidWorks Education Edition 2012 onto our network here using the command-line approach for multiple clients ...
    Thank Post

SolidWorks Education Edition 2012 Install problem

Hi

I’m attempting to install SolidWorks Education Edition 2012 onto our network here using the command-line approach for multiple clients and am having a few problems getting this to install. I’ve been using the following command:

Code:
    msiexec /i SolidWorks.msi INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Corp\SolidWorks 2012 SP5.0\" TOOLBOXFOLDER="C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Corp\SolidWorks 2012 SP5.0 Data\" SOLIDWORKSSERIALNUMBER="XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX" SIMULATIONSERIALNUMBER="XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX" ADDLOCAL=SolidWorksToolbox,CircuitWorks,CoreSolidWorksTaskScheduler,ExampleFiles,FeatureWorks,HelpFiles,Intel_Modules_AgeiaX86,Manuals,Motion,PhotoView,RealViewGraphicsdisplay,ScanTo3D,Simulation,SolidWorks,SolidWorksAnimator,SolidWorksCosting,SolidWorksDesignChecker,SolidWorksRoutedsystems,SolidWorksUtilities,TolAnalyst,XchangeWorks ENABLEPERFORMANCE=0 SERVERLIST=25734@ServerName OFFICEOPTION=3
    This installs successfully only if I remove the property “SolidWorksToolbox” from the command. If left in, the install rolls back with no on-screen message.

I have noticed that numerous warnings are generated in the event log like the below:

Product: SolidWorks 2012 SP05. The application tried to modify a protected Windows registry key \Software\Classes\Interface\{79EAC9C0-BAF9-11CE-8C82-00AA004BA90B}.
    Which appears quite obvious but why is this application attempting to modify protected Windows registry keys?

Also errors similar to below are generated:

.NET Runtime Optimization Service (clr_optimization_v4.0.30319_32) - Failed to compile C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Corp\SolidWorks 2012 SP5.0\SheetMetalWPF.dll because of the following error: The given assembly name or codebase was invalid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131047).
    All pre-requisites are present on the computer and no other applications cause these errors so am reluctant to think it’s the pre-requisites that are at fault here. Regardless, I have re-installed them to make sure with no change.

Another issue is with Flow Simulation. This installs fine using the following command:

Code:
    Msiexec /i “SolidWorks Flow Simulation.msi” INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Corp\SolidWorks Flow Simulation\" SOLIDWORKSPATH="C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Corp\SolidWorks 2012 SP5.0\" ACTIVATESERIALNUMBER="XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX" SERVERLIST=25734@ServerName
    However, when removing it, the uninstall pauses and logs the following in the application event log:

A device or program has requested attention. Device or application: C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Corp\SolidWorks Flow Simulation\binCFW\setup\i386\swactwiz.exe. Message title: SolidWorks Product Activation.
    The uninstallation can only be continued by manually killing the “swactwiz.exe” process on the machine.

I’ve included ACTIVATESERIALNUMBER="XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX" in the install command-line so should have activated however, appears not to have done this and so pausing any unattended processes.

Anyone faced a similar problem with this software?
    Last edited by randle; 11th April 2013 at 11:08 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Exactly the same here, we ended up doing manual installs on machines that needed it. I've yet to revisit the issue, as I was intending to make a system image with it pre-installed. Lazy/energy efficient

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,499 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Indeed we've manually deployed it.

Ben

Thank Post
    Hmmm. I Need to deploy to 60 computers so not keen on the manual route. If need be I'll simply exclude the toolbox as installs fine otherwise.

Found a typo in my Flow Simulation command too. Is meant to be "ACTIVSERIALNUMBER" rather than "ACTIVATESERIALNUMBER"

I do need to test this but reckon it's the problem.

Thank Post
    @randle

did this resolve your issue with the install?

Thank Post
    The type in the Flow Simulation command sorted that part out but the problem with the main Solidworks install was quite obvious in the end.

Originally I'd created a package which only included the SolidWorks folder from the admin image however, the Toolbox folder is located outside of this and so obviously couldn't install this component without the source files present so ended up creating a package around just these two folders with a script to call the SolidWorks.msi file in the SolidWorks folder along with all other commands shown above.

I'd already installed the Toolbox to a shared location which differs to my initial command above as found out since that this is recommended for a network deployment but in order for the Toolbox feature within the main application to work the feature still needs to be included in the ADDLOCAL string within the install command and annoyingly this still requires the Toolbox files/folder present in the package regardless of no longer installing it locally. The TOOLBOXFOLDER string in your command should point to the network location you've installed this to, to stop this from installing locally also.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread