+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Replacement to Adobe Flash CS5? in Technical; In light of the fact we're now experiencing issues related to this all over the place: Problems using Adobe Flash ...
    Thank Post

Replacement to Adobe Flash CS5?

In light of the fact we're now experiencing issues related to this all over the place: Problems using Adobe Flash authoring across local area networks and as shown by this thread: Adobe Community: Flash 'Unexpected File Format' Save corruption it appears Adobe are incapable of fixing the problem.

The kids are required to make animations in flash and i think they also use fireworks for this which is another pain in the rear end. Thing is i guess flash is getting a bit outdated and replaced by HTML5 now?

So can anyone recommend a good program to replace it with please?

P.S Don't say Serif!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 821 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've heard sencha is pretty good, and is pretty 'flash-like' from a usage perspective

CSS3 Animations Made Easy | Sencha Animator | Products | Sencha

I'd say the thing to watch is that whoever sets the requirement will accept work in another format....

ht6

Thank Post
    Issue is fixed in CS6 - we stuck a hotfix on a few months back and never have problems now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ht6 View Post
    Issue is fixed in CS6 - we stuck a hotfix on a few months back and never have problems now.
    Considering the replies in that adobe thread i linked to, the answers given by adobe and people constantly coming back after updating to 5.5, 6.0 and so on and still having the problem after being told "this should fix it" i struggle to believe that it's really fixed

Also we paid for CS5 and never had any support contract or anything on that, does that mean we'd be looking at another huge cost to upgrade our site license from 5.0 to 6.0? I assume Adobe have some cheaper upgrade scheme for this though?

Plus I get the feeling flash is slowly becoming a thing of the past and will (hopefully) one day die off, so again I'm hoping there's something more modern that we might be able to make use of to ensure students are learning from software that won't be redundant in the years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    I've heard sencha is pretty good, and is pretty 'flash-like' from a usage perspective

CSS3 Animations Made Easy | Sencha Animator | Products | Sencha

I'd say the thing to watch is that whoever sets the requirement will accept work in another format....
    Thanks, yep i'll be communicating with the IT Coordinator to make sure anything i find he gets a good look at to make sure he can still tick all the boxes in his scheme of work, afterall animation is only a small part of it so as long as the end result hits the requirements it's all good.
    Last edited by mrbios; 11th April 2013 at 11:39 AM.

ht6

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Considering the replies in that adobe thread i linked to, the answers given by adobe and people constantly coming back after updating to 5.5, 6.0 and so on and still having the problem after being told "this should fix it" i struggle to believe that it's really fixed
    It wasn't fixed in CS6, it was fixed with a hotfix that was released for both CS5.5 and CS6. We use CS6 here, and it is indeed fixed. Only issues we have with it now are when users try and save when they have low disk space - it doesn't handle it very well, but this is a different matter, and files can easily be repaired we've found.

ht6

Thank Post
    I could be wrong, it's been a while since I did ours, but this looks familiar:

Adobe - Adobe Flash - Downloads

Flash Professional CS5.5 | Adobe Flash Professional Team Blog

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread