+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Printing in Photoshop CS5.1 in Technical; Oh the joy of the Adobe Creative Suite software, if it's not throwing up one problem it's something else We ...

Thank Post

Printing in Photoshop CS5.1

Oh the joy of the Adobe Creative Suite software, if it's not throwing up one problem it's something else

We have an Epson B-510DN networked via a 2008 R2 Print Server and then the printer joined to our Photography workstations via GPO (10 machines). Whenever the students try to print to the printer via Photoshop the get the following error and then it won't let us print at all.
    The saved printer information is not compatible with this version of Photoshop, or the saved printer is no longer available. You will need to check your printer settings before printing.
    If I go into Printers and Devices the printer works fine, I can print a test page off and I can even print from Word. The only workaround we have found is to set another printer to default and then set it back again, Photoshop seems to like this.

All of the workstations are Windows 7 64-bit and the Students are using the 64-bit CS5.1 version of Photoshop. We have the latest printer driver installed (v6.72) on the print server and we let the drivers own setup utility configure the driver encase there was any 'model specific' configuration that needed doing, although we have tried setting the driver up manually using the traditional manual driver and port selection too.

Anybody got any clever ideas or encountered this issue before?

Thanks, Dave.

Thank Post
    could you use a PS driver instead this may help...?

Thank Post
    Unfortunately, Epson don't offer anything like this. It's just a single, straight driver they offer. They do have a slightly older version listed on there website but we used to use this and it was just as bad.

The printer is a 'business class' inkjet used for printing Photographs.

Thank Post
    Managed to fix this in the end. It was something to do with the driver not liking the name I gave the printer. I know that's a bit far fetched but that what our testing showed.

Thank Post
    We've had this problem for years, and I've resorted to setting up a dummy printer called "changeme" as the default printer to get round it. What was the issue with the printer name you used?

Thank Post
    Sorry about the slow reply, had a few weeks well deserved holiday

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure. The printer was called Photography A11 Colour previously, it's now called Photography Epson. We found calling it Photography B-510DN didn't work either.

It turns out during my absence that this issue is happening on our HP printers too, so we now have to find a more permanent workaround. We use the PCL6 HP UPD driver (v5.5.0), and we have tried the Postscript version but no luck. I have raised a call with Adobe but so far, they don't want to know.

Thank Post
    As our affected printers are called AR_Konica and Photo1, Photo2, Photo3 and Photo4 I'm unsure where to go from here. From what I've read in various forums the problem has been around for a number of years - we're on CS5, but I've read reports of it occurring with CS4.

Thank Post
    Well, we have CS6 available to us so hopefully in the near future we will start doing some testing with it to see if the issue has been fixed.

For now however we are continuing to see if we can see any other pattern, not just the names. It really is so intermittent for us. I just hope Adobe come back with something soon.

Thank Post
    I have renamed some more printers to take the numbers out, and they all seem to work now. It seems to be numbers that it doesn't like. Out of interest, how do you deploy the printers to the workstations? Here we have a central print server looking at all the printers via TCP/IP ports, and then deployed via GPO using the Print Management method.

The bad news, we tried Photoshop CS6 and the problem still exists.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread