+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Software woes using dongles in Technical; Afternoon everyone, "HELP!" We've come across a couple of instances recently which have stumped us using two pieces of software ...

Thank Post

Software woes using dongles

Afternoon everyone,

"HELP!"

We've come across a couple of instances recently which have stumped us using two pieces of software - Solidworks 2012 (makes me shudder every time) and some new sewing software called Stitch Sew 2. I wondered if anyone else had any problems with software using dongles.

Firstly, with solidworks, we are unable to check licences out per user because the program which checks licences out changes the registry. This works as admin but won't as a user, despite going through our group policy countless times!! Solidworks support were about as much use as a chocolate teapot! We've added admin access bit by bit but it's still not working so essentially we're stuck up a gumtree with this one.

And now today, we've had another piece of software which we didn't even know was coming (ruddy art department!) - this is the stitch sew 2 software which does embroidery stuff. Every time the program is run, UAC pops up asking for admin credentials to run the exe. If I type in an admin account then the rest of the program runs as that administration, not as the person who is logged on so as a result, none of their documents or other network drives are available. I've spoken to their tech support who say that they don't offer any tech support. . . . my brain hurts . . .

Has anyone had any similar issues either with the aforementioned software titles or other dongled software?

Thanks

Ian

Thank Post
    Hi there,

we use Solidworks and managed to get rid of the need for a dongle here and after installing the license manager bit on the server. During the install of the software onto PCs your asked where the license server is and once you point it to the right place it's job done.

Thank Post
    Sorry, I should have said with Solidworks, it's when licences are checked out for users to use at home. We have 60 network licences, ONE single solidworks standalone licence. . . and I'll be blown if I'm paying £200 per licence for more!!!

Thank Post
    Same here - we use the Solidworks license manager, works a treat (after many hours getting the software working in the first place!).

Thank Post
    I maybe wrong and I am not at school to check but am sure our copy of Solidworks 2012-13 comes with a temporary licence key to issue to students to use at home. Your network licences should not be affected.

6. Thanks to bigjb from:

Epick (8th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjb View Post
    I maybe wrong and I am not at school to check but am sure our copy of Solidworks 2012-13 comes with a temporary licence key to issue to students to use at home. Your network licences should not be affected.
    I have just checked this morning we have a Home Use Licence with a separate licence key.

8. Thanks to bigjb from:

Epick (8th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjb View Post
    I have just checked this morning we have a Home Use Licence with a separate licence key.
    Thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread