+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, RM Maths / Chosing installation path when no option is given (W7x86) in Technical; We're in a bit of a pickle at the Primary I work at. We're working on a move from WinXP ...

Thank Post

RM Maths / Chosing installation path when no option is given (W7x86)

We're in a bit of a pickle at the Primary I work at. We're working on a move from WinXP to Win7 and there's a big of a snag with the RM Maths software. In short, we want to have programs installed on local machines, wherever possible. We don't have the disks anymore, just a network share with (what I presume to be) the disks contents on.

Problem is, the setup installs into [wherever it is located, back 1 level, \Maths]
    So if the setup is \\T-100\RM Maths\Setup\SETUP.EXE the software would automatically be installed to \\T-100\RM Maths\Maths. Obviously, this is no good. However, the installer doesn't offer any form of alternate install location, else I'd grit my teeth and manually install it on every machine, typing C:\Program Files\RM Maths\ or such into a box every time. (I'd likely do this in a batch file that copies the location to clipboard, then opens the installer.. Aaaanyway!)

My Google-fu fails me, and the only thing I've really found is appending INSTALLDIR=Path into the SETUP.INI, but that hasn't worked. Either I'm doing it wrong, or it's just ignoring it.

Help?!
    Last edited by Garacesh; 31st January 2013 at 01:29 PM.

Thank Post
    I may be missing the obvious, but isn't RM maths a server-client install? You install the server part first, then install client after? Or was that changed. Just know on an old version it was that way. So there would be two installers, one for server which was on original disk, then once installed the setup folder on the server was where the client was from.

Steve

Thank Post
    I suspect I'm missing something, but could you not copy the exe to C:\Program Files\RM Maths\Setup\ and run it from there, possibly by using a batch file?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    I may be missing the obvious, but isn't RM maths a server-client install? You install the server part first, then install client after? Or was that changed. Just know on an old version it was that way. So there would be two installers, one for server which was on original disk, then once installed the setup folder on the server was where the client was from.

Steve
    I have no idea. I've been shipped here 1-day-a-week and I'm just doing my best to sort out the lot I've been thrown into. The only other techie is a half-a-day-a-week tech from EDIT who doesn't know an awful lot about the program or network, either, since he wasn't really involved in its setup.

Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    I suspect I'm missing something, but could you not copy the exe to C:\Program Files\RM Maths\Setup\ and run it from there, possibly by using a batch file?
    Could do, but I'm trying to avoid that. Seems senseless copying the installer files to each local machine needing to use them when the 'disk' is kept on the server. Then again, it also makes no sense for the 'disk' to install it to where it does. So I'm thoroughly kerfuffle'd about it all. Just trying to do what I can.

Thank Post
    I guess what I mean is if this is a new install, have you tried installing it to that server path, then seeing if there's a client setup within that folder? Or is the server etc all the same as before, just clients changed?

Steve

Thank Post
    Actually, I've just copied the files to the local drive and attempted to install it that way. It didn't install where we both thought it did. So, scratch my previous comments about where it installs to. It doesn't install there. It doesn't tell us where it installs. It won't let us tell it where we want it to install.

Thoroughly confused.

JCT

Thank Post
    Hi Garacesh

RM Maths isn't officially supported (or validated) on W7 Network clients however this article on the RM knowledgebase should help you How to install RM Maths version 4.1 on a client-server network

Regards

Colin

Colin Turner
    Group Leader, Implementation & Customer Support
    RM Education

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread