+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, School Reports - Again!!! in Technical; I'm just putting some feelers out there, as i'm curious ... We all know everybody hates school reports! What i ...
    Thank Post

School Reports - Again!!!

I'm just putting some feelers out there, as i'm curious ...

We all know everybody hates school reports!
    What i have been surprised at, is how many schools dont have a system in place they are happy with, and so are/were on the look-out for alternative software - me included!

So, what i did for us was to write one from scratch using php/mysql.
    I am tweaking it for next summer to improve it and make 'version 2'. I have also just added the autumn/spring report cards

So here's the thing. It wouldn't work for other schools unless they happen to have exactly the same report layout as us, so i had thoughts about building some customization into it so other schools can use it. Not sure how easy this will be yet.
    Can i have a show of hands for those that are seeking an alternative to what they have - just to get an idea of numbers.
    And, any chance some of you lovelies could attach / email samples of your currents reports so i can get an idea of templates to include?

PM me for email address please

EDIT: Currently it is aimed at Primary school but I wouldn't want i to stay there. If it were to be customized sufficiently for other schools i would want to include all ages and as many styles as practical. I am aware that comment banks are used a lot (tho our HT wont hear of it!) and so i would want to include comment banks too.
    Ultimately, the idea would be to make it suitable for as many report styles as possible and as easy for the end-user as possible, so I see lots of time spent making it as dynamic as possible.
    That's the plan (he says!!)

It isn't built in to any MIS, it's all web-based using php/mysql - so users can access if from home, using AD authentication to log in. Students can be exported from MIS and uploaded into the database. It's possible student could be pulled straight from MS-SQL databases if MIS systems are using that.
    Last edited by detjo; 20th December 2012 at 01:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What does your system do? What level is it aimed at? If we're talking comment banks for secondary schools then count me in! I can't find a suitable system anywhere that isn't built into an MIS or costs ££££'s for doing all your reporting (we only need comment banks). And I really, really don't want to write one myself!

Bev

Thank Post
    I'm looking as well, but as we are a middle school I don't believe we will find anything that works for us unless we write something from scratch.

Thank Post
    I built my own last year also using PHP/MySQL/jQuery...as I expected the hardest part was getting the teachers to give me the comments for the comment banks.

I also was looking at ways to provide custom layouts but there doesn't seem to be any standard layout that I can see...I don't even like our layout very much!

The feature I was most pleased with was an auto-save like they have on here...it made it pretty difficult for even a teacher to lose their work

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @CESIL, are you a high school or primary? is it shareable? Are you willing to share/sell? (not that we're desperate to find an alternative to SIMS or anything ).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread