+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, One for your music department - Guitar Pro Free for Education in Technical; I came across this as I was just about to confirm costs to buy the new version for our Music ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

One for your music department - Guitar Pro Free for Education

I came across this as I was just about to confirm costs to buy the new version for our Music department as they have an older version and enjoy using it but needed a newer one (preferably one that complains less in french as no-one in the team speaks or reads it!) as well as more licenses due to more hardware and came across the fact its now free for education!

Guitar Pro 6 Education Program

If you go to that link and sign up, it ask for a "purchase order" but as you see from the example its just a letter headed paper "order" so I am sure that will be easy to obtain, takes about 48hrs to get verified and sorted but you get the software for all platforms and the extra sound-sets as well (over 1Gb worth of them) so well worth doing.

I have not deployed it yet so cannot comment on how well it behaves on your network so please don't shout at me for it, but certainly worth looking at for your school, oh and even nicer you can get it so students of yours can get discount on purchasing it for home as well

2. 7 Thanks to john:

AlexB (22nd November 2012), AngryTechnician (22nd November 2012), Iain (22nd November 2012), LosOjos (22nd November 2012), sonofsanta (22nd November 2012), ticker (20th November 2012), timbo343 (22nd November 2012)

Thank Post
    Just about to write an order out on letter head paper

A bit like the attached
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by timbo343; 22nd November 2012 at 11:12 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 988 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Anyone used this or am I going to have to be brave and offer it to the music department and risk it being horrible to deal with?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    We have it on a single machine at the moment. Unfortunately its not an MSI installer but building your own is relatively easy as all you need to do is copy the files from a working install to a new directory and add the file associations. It also needs manually activating on each machine. If I remember correctly this didn't work through a proxy, so I had to enter the details via a website and copy & paste a confirmation code. It's been a while since I did it so this may have changed/been fixed.

Once installed it has been zero hassle whatsoever running under a limited user account.

We've just had our licence confirmed, and here's an added bonus:

The school site license enables you to install Guitar Pro 6 on school computers and on teachers home computers to fulfill your pedagogical needs. This license is strictly limited to teaching purposes and cannot be given or sold.

6. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

sonofsanta (22nd November 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 988 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The lack of MSI isn't too problematic as I have SCCM2012 to hand, though manual activation is a pain. Still, that's a one off hassle, and it looks decent software for the princely sum of nowt-at-all, so it'd be mean of me to withhold the offer.

Cheers!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread