+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Thinking of Using Picasa in Technical; Is it possible to use picasa and not have your images leave your network? I am looking into the potential ...

Thank Post

Thinking of Using Picasa

Is it possible to use picasa and not have your images leave your network?

I am looking into the potential data protection concerns with using picasa to store images. Many of the schools photos contain images of children and so we are trying to see if you can take advantage of the way you can manage your photos on Picasa but wihtout having the images on line.

Having read the terms of service I think its a non starter but any opinions gratefully received.

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 828 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am sure the old version has a way not to upload the files as I never uploaded mine.
    One thing to note, picasa will be pretty intense when running it on shares so I really wouldnt pull from the server. Ideally get them to use a local folder, organised the files then move them back.
    Picasa is designed for local drives only (or it was to my knowledge) and to do quick, light scanning it hooks into the filesystem stuff to watch for changes, it cant do that over network so monitoring changes etc will be far more intense and directly onto your server.

Thank Post
    Should be fine. In Tools - Folder Manager you can choose what you do & don't want it to scan.

Thank Post
    Do you know if I can still get hold of the old version as all I can find are references to the web based version.

Bev

Thank Post
    I use Picasa at school and we don't upload anything to the web. I also use it at home, and it only uploads what you request is uploaded. There is no automatic uploading of anything. In fact, you don't have to be logged into a gmail account, and if you aren't logged in then it would have nowhere to upload even if it wanted to.

I use it at school on my PC and it works great, however, it's not brilliant across a network. If I tag events or pupil on my PC, then those tags do not appear across the network. However, the basic folder structure is available across the network, and the basic editing features are excellent.

If you are finding info about Picasa online, then that's picasa webalbums (now replaced by google+). You just want normal Picasa.

6. Thanks to Bev from:

svp06 (27th November 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread