+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Smart Notebook 11...a real pain in Technical; Anyone having issues with Notebook 11? The ink layer has gone and you can't get rid of the toolbar on ...
    Thank Post

Smart Notebook 11...a real pain

Anyone having issues with Notebook 11? The ink layer has gone and you can't get rid of the toolbar on Powerpoint presentations. Staff use Kensington wireless presenters for advancing slides, however if you move the toolbar during a presentation the Kensington presenters stop working. It looks as thogh Notebook 11 is quite demanding on resources, hopefully I can uninstall and go back to 10. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

2. Thanks to keckers from:

AngryTechnician (29th August 2012)

Thank Post
    hopefully I can uninstall and go back to 10. If it ain't broke don't fix it!
    I'm still on 9.7 at most of my schools -SMART are one of those companies who just don't care about the actual end-user support - its all about new products and new sales and making things flashier - mm - I wonder who else does that........

Where's my Office 2015 Blu-ray disc?????

Simon

4. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

keckers (22nd August 2012)

Thank Post
    Our biggest issue with 11 is that it doesn't work with a proxy (their new built-in web browser, which I'm fairly certain serves no purpose other than a bullet point on a presentation somewhere).

6. 2 Thanks to gpe5732:

AngryTechnician (29th August 2012), keckers (22nd August 2012)

Thank Post
    Our biggest issue with 11 is that it doesn't work with a proxy
    And of course, no school EVER uses a proxy do they!

Plonkers!
    Simon

Thank Post
    Ink is there but works differently which takes a bit of getting used to.
    Load times are slower than v10

Activation was a pain as a load of our machines failed while imaging and even manual activation didn't work only to mysteriously come back online a few hours later

Thank Post
    We upgraded using hand installs but now also SCCM installs. No issues here. We do not use a proxy server, our filter is inline on our connection and now uses AD authentication for permissions depending on grade level/staff/admin etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    I'm still on 9.7 at most of my schools -SMART are one of those companies who just don't care about the actual end-user support - its all about new products and new sales and making things flashier - mm - I wonder who else does that........

Where's my Office 2015 Blu-ray disc?????

Simon
    You've just saved me a job. I was planning to upgrade from 9.7 this term but everyone is happy and they only use the board as a projector screen and whiteboard, so I don't think I'll bother.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    You've just saved me a job. I was planning to upgrade from 9.7 this term but everyone is happy and they only use the board as a projector screen and whiteboard, so I don't think I'll bother.
    Me too! thanks

Thank Post
    Looks like I need to roll out Notebook 11 in the next few days onto a CC4 network, no proxy, any pointers / advice before I go for it?

Or should it go without a problem (them last famous words)

Thanks

Thank Post
    I won't be touching Notebook 11 until they improve the load times, as I will never hear the end of it otherwise. Notebook 10.8 is fine for now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gpe5732 View Post
    Our biggest issue with 11 is that it doesn't work with a proxy (their new built-in web browser, which I'm fairly certain serves no purpose other than a bullet point on a presentation somewhere).
    Just got a request logged on our service desk for this. You can get to the proxy settings via View > Language setup (!) > connection settings.

But yeah, it doesn't seem to work for us anyway. The user is getting an "NTLM" error from our smoothwall, but after I enter the proxy details manually & their user (or my) details it just removes them. grrr.

Thank Post
    Just looked that ink on powerpoint and if you look at the smart ink app it says that the add in for office needs installing and to do that, you have to do a repair, on the install of the smartboard software via add/remove programs as far as I can see. Most unsatisfactory! and I have to log in as admin to do it on each PC as if I didnt have enough to do, which is why I have not tried it yet!

Thank Post
    Yup, a couple of things to watch out for...

1) read the documentation very closely, things go wonky if you don't have the Office Visual Studio components installed
    2) there's bugs in the initial release of SMART Ink that you must install SP1 for
    3) you need to run Office once as administrator to allow the add-in to install

Also make sure when installing SMART Notebook that the Tablet PC components get installed otherwise Ink doesn't work right either, this is particularly important when doing an admin install with MSTs.

Get that lot right and 11 does have some nice new features and Ink is OK. Load times are poor but acceptable on our newer i3 boxes so I'll persevere with the new version (too late to go back now anyway!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    I'd recommend everyone who uses Smart to stick with Smart Notebook 10.8 for now. Wait for a later build of Smart Notebook 11 as it does more harm than good at the moment.

Thank Post
    Has anyone had a HID smart error when deplpying notebook 11 to machines. I seem to get this error when a smart board is plugged in during installation? It also seems to be on the older RM machines the 3020's for example? I have a feeling that the software is very fussy about USB etc. So it is recommended to try and use different USB ports for example the FSB has more power that the back USB points. This may affect the speed of the smartboard I know this sounds silly but worth a go.

We have smartboard notebook 11 deployed and the smartboards keep losing connection but if you unplug and plug in USB in the same port it works, smart notebook 11 is very dodgey!

JamesH

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast