ICT Desktop Support Technician - King Edward's School, Bath
Job Title: ICT Desktop Support Technician
Start Date: Immediate
Reports to: Ultimately responsible to the Bursar, but reporting on a day-to-day basis to the ICT Manager.
Salary Scale: KES Scale 18-22; currently £18,071 - £20,666 per annum
Starting Salary: KES Scale 18; £18,071
Location: King Edward’s School, North Road, Bath
Hours of Work: Generally 37 hours per week, all year round, but some flexibility is required to accommodate systems work outside of School hours and/or emergencies, with time in lieu provided.
Holidays: 20 days, plus 2 statutory days, plus 8 Bank Holidays paid holiday per annum, rising by 1 extra day for each completed year up to a maximum of 25 days.
Pension: Required to join the KES Group Personal Pension Plan with Employer’s Contribution of 6% of salary after 3 months service with a minimum employee contribution of 2%. An opt out option is available, but must be stated in writing to the School Accountant within the first 3 months of employment.
- The ICT Technician(s) operate across all parts of King Edward’s School. They provide support, advice and guidance on ICT issues to all members of the school community - Teachers, Pupils, and support staff.
- The Desktop Support team are responsible to the ICT Manager.
- Technicians will carry out installation and support on a range of hardware and software throughout the School. Experience and knowledge of Windows Server and Active Directory are essential and experience of Apple Macs/IPads/VLE would also be advantageous.
- They will also provide troubleshooting advice and support.
- Each Technician will be expected to share in core activities, but will also specialise and develop their own particular areas of interest.
- The technicians should be flexible in the hours that they work, as on occasion work outside of normal school hours may be required including the occasional weekend.
- To configure computers and printers to enable access to school servers and local networks.
- To provide helpdesk support for users’ hardware and software, maintaining regular communication with the appropriate staff until Incident resolution.
- To test, install and configure new licensed software on to computers, ensuring licensing compliance.
- To support and provide basic training sessions which involve the use of technology.
- To provide high-quality technical support and advice including appropriate training sessions in various software applications, such as Microsoft Office or other applications as required.
- To set up and maintain user and e-mail accounts, ensuring that new staff and students receive credentials in a timely fashion.
- To help in the development and management of the schools ICT systems.
- To assist in the provision of basic network management/administration.
- To provide and help with the production and maintenance of systems documentation.
- To provide technical support for use of Apple Mac/IPad in an educational setting.
- To possess a working knowledge of Microsoft System Centre Configuration Manager and a Hyper V environment.
- To take an active role in the on-going development and support of the School’s VLE.
- Update local inventory records and change control systems with current information.
- Ensure the safe relocation of ICT equipment within a variety of settings when required for ongoing or new projects.
- Help develop and maintain innovative ICT projects in school and other appropriate settings as requested by line manager.
- Carry out preventative maintenance checks regularly on equipment in key locations e.g. various IT laboratories.
- To employ safe working practices and to comply with the relevant Health and Safety regulations.
- To undertake other duties which may, from time to time, be necessary.
To carry out the above duties in accordance with the equal opportunities policy of King Edward’s School.
This job description sets out the duties of the post at the time it was drawn up. Such duties may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the duties or the level of responsibilities entailed. Such variations are a common occurrence and cannot of themselves justify a re-grading of the post.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Confident in dealing with all levels of stakeholders
- Ability to apply problem solving techniques and get results, prioritising tasks whilst working under pressure
- Self-motivated and committed to delivery on time and to a high quality
- Demonstrable experience of balancing priorities and successful delivery of objectives, in a fast paced, constantly changing environment
- Ability to troubleshoot, investigate and resolve technical issues
- Ability to react quickly and effectively to issues and opportunities
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Windows 7, office software and other desktop products, Apple Macs, Microsoft Windows Server, Microsoft Active Directory, LAN/WAN, VLANs, TCP/IP, Anti-Virus, Internet Access and security solutions
- Previous experience of carrying out a similar client facing role in either the primary or secondary education sector