+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, What salary? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Originally Posted by Lazyletters Originally Posted by tech_guy I'm tired too of people in industry beating us techs in schools ...

Thank Post

Re: What salary?

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyletters
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy
    I'm tired too of people in industry beating us techs in schools up by saying our skills are of little relevant value 'in the real world' - er, excuse me but we're just as experienced and talented - perhaps more so - because of the nature of our jobs and the environments in which we have to work. Most of us are self taught and experienced in many aspects of IT. The next time I come across some tosser with a degree & a couple of year's experience in some obscure programming language that makes cow milking machines run I'm gonna stick my cv - all eight pages of it - up his ass.

[Rant over]
    Well ranted.
    though you missed out the bit about having excellent people skills to deal with non-technical staff and small children, the adaptable attitude, the patience to plan ahead for all equipment and network needs, the critical planning to spread the cash as far as possible, advising and then being ignored, the disaster recovery skills you develop dealing with ageing equipment, the political skills you gain trying to wheedle some extra cash out of the governors/school board/headteacher for an essential piece of kit, the negotiating skills getting the price down and then further down on every aspect of a project, project management from inception to completion, the self motivation to learn new skills and explore new technologies, the 50 or so bits of software you need to know how to work at the drop of a hat, searching for free resources and then spending hours downloading them, implementing every quirk the government sends down...... I'm feeling sure I missed something out, but I think that covers my part of this rant.....
    Having to be a "Jack of all trades" as (most) schools cant afford dedicated DBA, Web / VLE Manager, Server Admin, Helpdesk support, 2nd Line Support. Having to deal with software that is designed for windows 3.1 but the member of staff insists they must have Vista as an operating system, working with staff that dont understand that google does not constitute the "Internet" - moan when filtering blocks myspace etc., having to deal with PA systems and lighting rigs as they're "technical".

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyletters
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy
    I'm tired too of people in industry beating us techs in schools up by saying our skills are of little relevant value 'in the real world' - er, excuse me but we're just as experienced and talented - perhaps more so - because of the nature of our jobs and the environments in which we have to work. Most of us are self taught and experienced in many aspects of IT. The next time I come across some tosser with a degree & a couple of year's experience in some obscure programming language that makes cow milking machines run I'm gonna stick my cv - all eight pages of it - up his ass.

[Rant over]
    Well ranted.
    though you missed out the bit about having excellent people skills to deal with non-technical staff and small children, the adaptable attitude, the patience to plan ahead for all equipment and network needs, the critical planning to spread the cash as far as possible, advising and then being ignored, the disaster recovery skills you develop dealing with ageing equipment, the political skills you gain trying to wheedle some extra cash out of the governors/school board/headteacher for an essential piece of kit, the negotiating skills getting the price down and then further down on every aspect of a project, project management from inception to completion, the self motivation to learn new skills and explore new technologies, the 50 or so bits of software you need to know how to work at the drop of a hat, searching for free resources and then spending hours downloading them, implementing every quirk the government sends down...... I'm feeling sure I missed something out, but I think that covers my part of this rant.....
    nice, gonna use that in my updated cv/job applications

Thank Post

I can add another one to that list - i get used as PPA cover despite having no previous experience of teaching or dealing with a room full of kids aside from driving a school bus before i worked here.

Anyway, as this is my first post to the thread: IT Systems Manager, responsible for 250 desktops, a dozen or so servers, SIMS. Not responsible enough to have a budget allowance, so i have to beg for anything we need. £14k. I earned £17k in my last year driving the school bus before deciding i needed to make a career move...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nebapneb
    nice, gonna use that in my updated cv/job applications
    what? the bit about sticking a cv up some jerks' ass? :-)

Thank Post

I'm amazed at some of the low salaries and remits people have.

I'd never do some of the tasks others have mentioned.

We have a systems manager who looks after SIMS.

I'm the network manger and have 2 techs working for me. We have 400 desktops and 100 laptops. I've managed to have a hardware replacement budget put in place so that desktops/laptops are replaced on a 3 year cycle, there is extra money for net expansion/maintainance.

My current salary is close to 30k and the strange thing is I don't have any qualifications at all, though I'd done most of the MCSE course but never took the exam.

Not the the head is worried we have uptime very close to 100%, only pulled down after MB in a server died (fortunately last day before a half term and was fixed for start of following term).

Seems there is a lot of variation in pay but wasn't aware it was over such a wide range.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by antoeknee
    I'm amazed at some of the low salaries and remits people have.

I'd never do some of the tasks others have mentioned.

We have a systems manager who looks after SIMS.

I'm the network manger and have 2 techs working for me. We have 400 desktops and 100 laptops. I've managed to have a hardware replacement budget put in place so that desktops/laptops are replaced on a 3 year cycle, there is extra money for net expansion/maintainance.

My current salary is close to 30k and the strange thing is I don't have any qualifications at all, though I'd done most of the MCSE course but never took the exam.

Not the the head is worried we have uptime very close to 100%, only pulled down after MB in a server died (fortunately last day before a half term and was fixed for start of following term).

Seems there is a lot of variation in pay but wasn't aware it was over such a wide range.
    Wow, 3 posts and i'm sure everybody already hates you!
    I'm a systems manager, not on as much as you, and i have 1.5 techs. We have around 120 laptops, 130 (soon 160) thin clients, 150 desktops. I look after CMIS, do the scheduling part of timetabling and design the assessment of pupils levels to the DH's specs. We also look after an exchange server, PA lighting rig and the rest of the crap that nobody else wants.

Thank Post

Its amazing what people think you do look after, one of the admin staff rang me the other day to complain it was too warm in the office!

She seemed to think it was something I should be looking after. Its taken awhile but I've finally got everyone to realise I don't look after the phone system.

My 2 techincians look after the sound/lighting (they have been on training sessions) for our various productions with the drama dept.

You do the timetable! You have my sympathy. Thankfully thats part of someone elses job. I know he gets all kinds of grief from staff if the timetable doesn't suit them 100%.

Wasn't my intention to annoy anyone its was just to show there are some jobs within education that pay a near decent salary. I know its less than other areas (I was made redundant from my previous post and that was better paid).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy
    CX300, ESX 2.5 only had support for Fibre channel, iscsi had to wait for 3.0

Its not got that much room, but they are fibre channel drives. I'm running around 20 VMs off it with a Dell blade center.
    Out of interest, what did all that cost you?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_K_81
    We also look after an exchange server, PA lighting rig and the rest of the crap that nobody else wants.
    Some interesting views on here - you see your statement above re: PA, lighting rigs etc. is the reason I love where I am - being able to have that diversity and be involved in things other than ICT is what makes the job for me.

Thank Post

Oh yeah, phones, we do those too.
    Whats that t word? training? what IS that?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by jcollings
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee_K_81
    We also look after an exchange server, PA lighting rig and the rest of the crap that nobody else wants.
    Some interesting views on here - you see your statement above re: PA, lighting rigs etc. is the reason I love where I am - being able to have that diversity and be involved in things other than ICT is what makes the job for me.
    Don't get me wrong. I actually enjoy the lighting rig and getting involved in school shows. It's just we're the only people who will do it. It's fine if it's a production etc, but for lessons, surely the teacher or a student could plug the desk in, they only use it for mood lighting, but it's always us, having to leave something else to sort it.

Thank Post

The 'extra' things we we can get involved in are interesting.

Problem is it then becomes your problem and when it doesn't work its your fault.

The approach I've tried to get over to everyone is that we'll do our best to help.

It seems that once you help then anything that looks vaguely techincal suddenly becomes something you can sort out.

It amazes me how many times we get called out to something that isn't working and you're expected to provide an instant fix, yet no one ever though to check that it was OK before trying to use it.

Thank Post

I'm employed as ICT Teaching Assistant and ICT Technician combined, primary sector. I get paid hourly, do 15 hours a week and term-time only. Not paid for lunch or break. Last tax year I earned just under £7000 gross, which isn't bad looking at some of the postings here. We have a Windows 2003 server, 58 clients, 8 IWBs and teacher laptops. There is no network manager, and I look after the techie jobs when I am not helping in or leading IT classes. I got the job on the basis of experience, have no formal qualifications in IT, and have had limited training. As the network has grown, it has become a bit of a struggle to keep on top of things.

Thank Post

its friday night i have a beer and i want to say i have worked in a 'corporate IT environment' with EDS which at the time were considered the largest IT solution providers on the planet , my job was to provide IT Support for the Nuclear power stations in the uk,(so fairly high profile) it was dull and boring and certainly required far less knowledge than i need day to day running our school network, i'm sorry but the stuff you learn/pick up/ stumble across in this job is far more than i would have done in outside of education, it bothers me that most schools insist on paying top rate IT professionals (thats right professionals!) peanuts. Most schools/colleges/academys now rely very heavily on our ability to get the job done, so i think its time they gave us the salary that matches waht we do!

Thank Post

11.5k term time plus 4 weeks. Underpaid and overworked!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast