+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, What salary? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; 32k, not bad, is that pro rata...
    Thank Post

Re: What salary?

32k, not bad, is that pro rata

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyletters
    Torledo is being very dismissive.
    Large secondary schools and colleges have been able to invest in bigger systems and their techs have branched out in ways that are totally unnecessary in primary schools. these children are the ones who are going to be using your systems at some point in their lives, do you think that they don't have to learn some basic skills before they get to you. Having working in primary schools for 9 years now and having dragged some of them very reluctantly into the 20th century and delivered networks into the classrooms from individual PC's that barely had internet access. I have seen that funding goes to the larger schools and bypass the infant and juniors to a great degree.
    Server 2003 is all that is necessary for their needs, NAS is not unknown, I certainly use it but I have to justify every penny I spend on it. Building money is tight, but resources are improving, it's difficult to justify building a server room when you only have two servers and need larger classrooms and toilets. The cost of a server rack is by comparison prohibitive and then I see some secondary has replaced it's server room over the summer, and where did the old equipment and racks go? In the skip.
    I'm happy to take old equipment to tide me over, I've learned not to be too proud to accept hand me down bits of network equipment. Upgrade one place, hand it on to another less fortunate until they can afford it. I have built and manage three networks including Classlink and Ranger so consider yourself fortunate that you don't have to worry about switching hats every day and making sure the mice work so some 5 year old can learn mouse skills, because without us bringing up the much maligned rear, you wouldn't have many users to worry about.
    I'm just wondering what you are putting back into the junior school you attended and whether they are struggling with old PC's and a crumbling network while you spend another small fortune on a new piece of kit.
    I must confess I haven't read the entire thread, but I had to agree with some of the points Lazyletters is making here.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a culture of ridiculing the ICT - and therefore the technicians - of primary schools. I look after nine local primaries, and just a couple of weeks ago I went to an interview at a local 11-18 Independent school for an ICT Support role. Both the headteacher and the Network Manager openly questioned my technical abilities, citing that "you don't need to be technical in primary schools, all they do is play games". I was appalled at such ignorance.

It seems to be time that some people within the secondary sector need to get over themselves and realise that they are not the only important component of the education system.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,117 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have to admit to being in education for anything but the money. When I originally left the army I intended to do a bit of work as a tech until my wife fell pregnant and then be a house husband.

8 years later we still have no family (but trying is half the fun and we have only been trying seriously for the last year or so) and I am now Manglement.

Although I am equivalent to an Asst Head I am not on the same wage or conditions ... I work a full year and have 5 weeks a year hols. I am a PO in grade 8 (exact salary will not get published) but I am allowed to get involved with many interesting projects ...

In 'industry' I would be on £50+ (not including bonuses and performance related pay) ... but I would find it far more stressful and less fun. Why would I want that?

I get to try new things out all the time, look at a wider range of technologies than I would at many companies, work with people with a 'can do' attitude ... and I get to flex my megalomania occasionally too! :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,117 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crc-ict
    Unfortunately, there seems to be a culture of ridiculing the ICT - and therefore the technicians - of primary schools. I look after nine local primaries, and just a couple of weeks ago I went to an interview at a local 11-18 Independent school for an ICT Support role. Both the headteacher and the Network Manager openly questioned my technical abilities, citing that "you don't need to be technical in primary schools, all they do is play games". I was appalled at such ignorance.

It seems to be time that some people within the secondary sector need to get over themselves and realise that they are not the only important component of the education system.
    A common misconception about what can be done in primary schools.

It all depends on the school though, and there being someone who can be a visionary ... once the ball is rolling I find that primaries are more up for trying new things than any secondary I have come across ... but I also find that some are less well-funded and rely on collaboration and sharing more than secondaries ... which is not a bad thing.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas
    32k, not bad, is that pro rata
    Yes and no - thats the amount after the pro rata - in actual fact I only lose about 2 weeks money cos of the terms and conditions I have.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm tired too of people in industry beating us techs in schools up by saying our skills are of little relevant value 'in the real world' - er, excuse me but we're just as experienced and talented - perhaps more so - because of the nature of our jobs and the environments in which we have to work. Most of us are self taught and experienced in many aspects of IT. The next time I come across some tosser with a degree & a couple of year's experience in some obscure programming language that makes cow milking machines run I'm gonna stick my cv - all eight pages of it - up his ass.

[Rant over]

Thank Post

Well said tech-guy. Got a few teachers that could do with learning that lesson as well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Could I earn more in industry? Well possibly but then industry is a pretty dull place to be!
    Have you worked in Industry then ? I have for a number of years - and its anything but dull I can assure you.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer
    Well said tech-guy. Got a few teachers that could do with learning that lesson as well.
    Yeah, and don't you just love it when one of them looks down their nose at you and informs you that their husband/wife/bf/gf/brother etc 'works in IT in Industry'.....................

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mattx
    Could I earn more in industry? Well possibly but then industry is a pretty dull place to be!
    Have you worked in Industry then ? I have for a number of years - and its anything but dull I can assure you.
    I spent 6 months as a vb programmer in industry - it nearly sent me loopy.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

I'm not surprised if you were a VB programmer !!
    Did you need therapy afterwards ? ;-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

No, but the people I used to work with did ;-)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mattx
    Yes when I first started out I was in industry - perhaps dull is the wrong word. Maybe more a case of feeling that at least in education I'm giving a huge amount back to the community I live in. Less so in the industry post I had. I wasn't slagging off people who work in industry - just saying I'm happy to earn less but have tremendous variety and enjoy working with kids. As I said I get to do far more than ICT which is pretty cool.

Thank Post

I'm a Senior Network Enginner working for Bull TCL which basically is the Council's IT Service that got bought out. I've got 10years experience in general IT with a degree, CCNA and other bits n pieces.

I do everything from software installs to network sockets, patch panels and server work. I'm contracted out to schools who buy into Bulls ICT support so at the minute i work at three different schools doing ICT / Network Support and Web Development. It's taken me a long time to get where i am but its all down to experience and the qualifications i've been doing part time (7 years!).

The salary, S01 - S02, starts at around 24k goes up to nearly 27k.

I don't think there will ever be a standardised salary as clearly not all jobs are the same and you pay to keep quality staff and the cost of living differs to where you live.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy
    I'm tired too of people in industry beating us techs in schools up by saying our skills are of little relevant value 'in the real world' - er, excuse me but we're just as experienced and talented - perhaps more so - because of the nature of our jobs and the environments in which we have to work. Most of us are self taught and experienced in many aspects of IT. The next time I come across some tosser with a degree & a couple of year's experience in some obscure programming language that makes cow milking machines run I'm gonna stick my cv - all eight pages of it - up his ass.

[Rant over]
    Well ranted.
    though you missed out the bit about having excellent people skills to deal with non-technical staff and small children, the adaptable attitude, the patience to plan ahead for all equipment and network needs, the critical planning to spread the cash as far as possible, advising and then being ignored, the disaster recovery skills you develop dealing with ageing equipment, the political skills you gain trying to wheedle some extra cash out of the governors/school board/headteacher for an essential piece of kit, the negotiating skills getting the price down and then further down on every aspect of a project, project management from inception to completion, the self motivation to learn new skills and explore new technologies, the 50 or so bits of software you need to know how to work at the drop of a hat, searching for free resources and then spending hours downloading them, implementing every quirk the government sends down...... I'm feeling sure I missed something out, but I think that covers my part of this rant.....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast