+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, What salary? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; IIP means nothing, it's nearly impossible to lose IIP once you have it. Personally I'd look for a new job ...

Thank Post

Re: What salary?

IIP means nothing, it's nearly impossible to lose IIP once you have it.

Personally I'd look for a new job if you aren't happy, it's amazing how good it can feel just to move to somewhere else.

Thank Post

Only on £12,000 here.
    Seen people doign the same as me for up to £20,000. Trying to get up the career ladder.

Thank Post

I'm on £16k, the other two techs are on less than me (1 FT and 1 TT).

The TWO network managers (teachers) are both due to leave in the next 1-2 years, so this means I should be able to slide into a new Job, with a higher salary.

I have a meeting with the Bursar is a couple of weeks, so I am going to suggest I get a partial promotion now, and then we can phase the changeover, as they are both planning to leave over the Summer breaks.

Thank Post

On 18,695 here. I would say it is a reasonable wage for the job - but as usual you get little or no outside training.

Still 100% better than my last job at a local high school though.

Pete

Thank Post

Any training would be nice. I asked about the possibility of training but got the reply "sorry no money available".

No opportunity for promotion, no opportunity for more hours. Im completely stuck.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Birmingham, 24, ICT Technician and Im on £15,000 odd.

One more point then i'm at the top of my scale.

Planning on getting a couple of certifications under my belt and then trying to get a pay rise. My school offered to pay towards my MCDST, which was a shock. If i actually get it is another story....

I really like my job, been there 2 years now, but there isnt a fat lot i can do with that sort of wage...dont wanna be renting forever!

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm on top of SO1 - 24708 and have been for two years now. Keep pushing for SO2 but surprise surprise there's no money.....

...gonna jump ship next year as we're due for the pay review and I know I'm going to get fragged.

Thank Post

Birmingham just started new position on 18,400 ish term time only (so pro rata that down to just over 15k)
    37.5 hours a week and traveling between sites which is unpaid.

So far the training seems quite good and encouraged, since June Ive had a weeks vista training, 3 days CC3, and 1 days ranger. Some of the guys already working there are down for exchange training over half term.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lill
    Birmingham just started new position on 18,400 ish term time only (so pro rata that down to just over 15k)
    37.5 hours a week and traveling between sites which is unpaid.

So far the training seems quite good and encouraged, since June Ive had a weeks vista training, 3 days CC3, and 1 days ranger. Some of the guys already working there are down for exchange training over half term.
    Wow, training. You lucky people. You gotta be in a college surely?

Thank Post

Ok I'm assuming that the majority of you are working full time, and the pay seems to be pretty bad. I work at various sites with set numbers of hours, fortunately there is some flexibilty about overtime. Afterall our Surrey contract costs us £70 odd an hour for their technicians to come in and as my pay varies a little between sites, between £10.50 and £11.20 per hour, it makes more sense to pay my overtime than theirs. The schools IT budget is what I get to spend on new equipment and consumables so yes I do make every saving I can. Beat down suppliers pricing, repair rather than purchase, where it's more cost effective, every penny I save is appreciated and I don't feel underappreciated just stretched. Training is not high on the agenda, funding just doesn't run to the exorbitant costs of training companies, so everything I know I've learned on the job. Not bad for progressing from Win 3.1 through to Server 2003 and XP. I'm shortly to try and add Mac OS X 10.4 to that list.
    Advantages; everyone looks forward to me coming in, the work is really varied and interesting. Holidays and half terms off, when I haven't got a project on that I want to do in the breaks. Since dropping one school, because the head was being really unreasonable, I have time off during the week, which is often filled with overtime and gives me some extra flexibility. I also have time to concentrate on my children which is how I got involved with schools in the first place.
    The Down side; Not enough pay for what I do, I know that, but I have no formal qualifications. My daughters are in Year 11 and 6th Form so I'll have to start looking for something better paid to cover University. With no qualifications I'll probably have to look at my old career as a PA or consider something else.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyletters
    Ok I'm assuming that the majority of you are working full time, and the pay seems to be pretty bad. I work at various sites with set numbers of hours, fortunately there is some flexibilty about overtime. Afterall our Surrey contract costs us £70 odd an hour for their technicians to come in and as my pay varies a little between sites, between £10.50 and £11.20 per hour, it makes more sense to pay my overtime than theirs. The schools IT budget is what I get to spend on new equipment and consumables so yes I do make every saving I can. Beat down suppliers pricing, repair rather than purchase, where it's more cost effective, every penny I save is appreciated and I don't feel underappreciated just stretched. Training is not high on the agenda, funding just doesn't run to the exorbitant costs of training companies, so everything I know I've learned on the job. Not bad for progressing from Win 3.1 through to Server 2003 and XP. I'm shortly to try and add Mac OS X 10.4 to that list.
    Advantages; everyone looks forward to me coming in, the work is really varied and interesting. Holidays and half terms off, when I haven't got a project on that I want to do in the breaks. Since dropping one school, because the head was being really unreasonable, I have time off during the week, which is often filled with overtime and gives me some extra flexibility. I also have time to concentrate on my children which is how I got involved with schools in the first place.
    The Down side; Not enough pay for what I do, I know that, but I have no formal qualifications. My daughters are in Year 11 and 6th Form so I'll have to start looking for something better paid to cover University. With no qualifications I'll probably have to look at my old career as a PA or consider something else.
    With your experience I think you'll have no problem getting a more highly paid job in IT. It might mean jumping ship from the education sector though :-(

I know I could earn more than where I am now but past experience has taught me that money isn't everything, happiness and job satisfaction are. My present job gives me both of these and the salary, though crap compared to what could be earned in industry, isn't too bad.

Thank Post

Keep an eye on this everyone before you consider jumping ship. It looks like a slightly brighter future for us all.

http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/pns/DisplayPN...n_id=2007_0172

Thank Post

Only for those of you in England...

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    I'm on 17.5k. I figure the difference between 'industry' and education is about 20 years of investment leading to anywhere between 15% and 50% difference in pay.

Where education has invested £1m in ICT, 'industry' have invested £100m...
    The last statement is spot on. 'industry' and you can include the large colleges and universities in that category invest insane amounts of money in their ICT systems - they tend to go for the enterprise kit and stuff that you just don't tend to see in schools....big unix iron, SANs, CRM/ERP, blackboard VLE systems, proper data centers with undefloor cooling......

In comparison many school setups are a real mickey mouse affair...mainly because of lack of investment and different priorities. But it amazes me the number of schools who use a broom cupboard as the server room and don't even have a proper server rack - thinks like underfloor cooling and SANs are expensive and in some instances overkill - but to see the pap that some of the larger schools with fatter wallets spend in ICT investment is just laughable. 30K-50K Projector and electronic registration installs are all very nice but when in the same shcool your servers occupy pride of place on a table and are cooled by leaving a window or a door open then you know the business manager and head and network manager aren't the brightest sparks.

I'm on just over 22K as network manager and I fortunately don't have to deal with bloody MIS systems, Ranger, CC3, and all that other rubbish...and yes we have telco racks AND server racks.

Majority of school techs tend to stay school techs because enteprises just aren't interested in candidates that haven't even heard of websense or netbackup or clariion - particularly if those candidates have been wrapped in up in dealing with 'NASboxes' and CMIS - or schools techs who have the word D-Link mentioned in their CV.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh and don't wish to sound too much of a snob but i do think the disparity between network managers and school techs is just too great...particularly when 30K+ schools network managers would struggle to hold their own as a senior tech in a mid-size org's IS team.
    Particularly when that org couldn't give a toss about your experience with Windows storage server 2003 when they need someone to manage their netapp filer.

I'm not saying network managers shouldn't be paid those figures but i think that well-motivated juniors should be on atleast two-thirds of their network manager's salary.

Companies with half the number of hosts you'll find in a large school invest considerably more in network and server infrastucture and it shows.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ninjabeaver
    Keep an eye on this everyone before you consider jumping ship. It looks like a slightly brighter future for us all.

http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/pns/DisplayPN...n_id=2007_0172
    Skipping all the waffle, what is the bottom line? We will now have a voice?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast