+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, What salary? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Originally Posted by Jobos I think the main problem most of us have is that we are paid as technicians ...
    Thank Post

Re: What salary?

Quote Originally Posted by Jobos
    I think the main problem most of us have is that we are paid as technicians but do the job or most of the job as a network manager. I install servers, switches and this summer I’m fitting projectors as well as all the usual stuff you can expect to be doing the school holidays.
    You have hit the nail on the head there. You need to make comparisons of the different things you now do since you have started. What you are responsible for, how much it has grown etc etc, the kind of infrastructure decisions left to you and the amount of money you are saving them by doing the work of contractors.
    Remind them next time they want a few network points adding somewhere that it would cost £40 + per point depending on location. £100 + to fit a projector etc.
    You need to tell them what it is you do on a day to day basis. The network doesn't just run itself. They will not know what goes on behind the scenes you need to tell them in a way that they will understand.
    Plead your case with SMT/SLT talk to your Bursar/Business manager. Get evidence of similar roles in other schools. Do the BECTA competancy framework to show what level you are at.

Thank Post

I am assistant network manager on 19,500K can't complain bristol pay ICT techs 16K i believe.

Ross

Thank Post

ChrisH i see what you are saying about saving the school money by doing the work yourself, i used to but i wont anymore. I have better things to be doing with my time than crawling through lofts up and down ladders etc. I save the college thousands of pounds by doing other stuff like beating down pricing of suppliers. Guess it comes down to what you want to be a techy or a manager. I still happy running around fixing the pc's as thats a huge part of the job but install networking and other expensive items i leave that to people we pay.

Thank Post

I do less stuff like that these days. I gave those examples though assuming that is what you may be doing now though. I must have mixed your post up with someone else's.

Thank Post

I'm sure my contract is intentionally vague. It certainly doesn't cover the gamut of my responsibilities. I dread to think of the consultancy fees for tailoring new network policy et cetera, et cetera.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by leon
    I'm sure my contract is intentionally vague. It certainly doesn't cover the gamut of my responsibilities. I dread to think of the consultancy fees for tailoring new network policy et cetera, et cetera.
    You will find thats the same for most of us. Theres always the classic line that goes something like "and any responsibilities the head deems blah blah blah"

Thank Post

I think you're quoting verbatim ;-)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH
    You will find thats the same for most of us. Theres always the classic line that goes something like "and any responsibilities the head deems blah blah blah"
    I thinking that was the ONLY line on my job description

Thank Post

Im on about £17,000 for a systems manager job part of the NY LEA

Thank Post

What schools Timbo? I'm in York.

Thank Post

Edit: Doh, just read your sig. Don't know it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tx2rcc
    I've seen ICT jobs (basic techies) advertised at 20k+, yet our LEA pays less than 15k for what is essentially the same type of job.

Where are you, and what do you earn? Can the 'industry' come together to have salaries 'standardised' across LEA's?

Thoughts and comments?
    I suppose a lot depends upon the qualifications asked for and qualifications available; what sort of qualifications do most of us have.

I'm life experienced 23 years in the RAF Police latterly involving computer security, OU BSc partly in ICT and am currently trying to get my head around MCSA - tips on that welcomed; at 55 years of age it's not so easy to absorb.

The main thing I think I bring to my 35 HPW term time £13,500 post is flexibility and a good network of ICT contacts who are able most times to dig me out if things go wrong :!:

Thank Post

Edit: Doh, just read your sig. Don't know it.
    Oh its near selby and Tad? You know where they are?

Where abouts are u?

and to the post before.. ive got hardware A+, CNSA, Level 3 installing and supporting ICT systems NVQ but a whole lot of knowledge is floating round my head. Trouble is my school will not pay for courses....

Thank Post

Archbishop Holgate's. I've got friends who teach at Tad school.

I have an English degree. Am 2/3rds of the way through a degree in Applied Computing. I'd tried a PGCE and wasn't happy -though having been here for the last 4 years I sometimes regret not completing it as teachers pay has *much* better progression. The next step is to get an MCSE/CCNA, though it's unlikely they'll cover the training costs.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by timbo343
    and to the post before.. ive got hardware A+, CNSA, Level 3 installing and supporting ICT systems NVQ but a whole lot of knowledge is floating round my head. Trouble is my school will not pay for courses....
    Does the school have Investors in People thing? If so mention that to them and that next time they get audited it won't look very good that they refused you development.

Also our LEA offer some training if we request it, might be worth trying them?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast