+ Post New Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, What salary? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; the trouble i think as regards pay etc in school is that teaching staff do not understand the work required ...
    Thank Post

jobs and pay

the trouble i think as regards pay etc in school is that teaching staff do not understand the work required to make a computer work within a networked environment.
    the pay offered in education for most is pittyful, and i think this need to be addressed, politely of course, but something could be given to senior management showing pay scales elsewhere, and mentioning peanuts and monkeys etc.
    i despair when i see 'scale 1' jobs offered and the duties that they require, teachers pay just escalates, and the gap between increases.

Thank Post
    But to be fair, the jobs advertised on scale 1 are based on the LEA recomendations. How they think they are going to fill these jobs is beyond me. They may fill these jobs, but it will only be with people who are looking to get 1yr experience and then leave as there is no incentive to stay.

The thing that bugs me more, is when jobs have been taken away from teachers(24 tasks etc) and have been given to admin staff(as it is admin work) However, what hasn't happened is the money for those jobs was never transferred. So workload increases for non teachers in schools and the money goes down(possibly due to JE)

Some schools value their staff(so I'm told )and will pay decent wages. Some dont.

Thank Post
    Network Manager, Hampshire.
    Foundation status school
    & they wonder why I get P'ed off.
    They don't seem to take any notice of the LEA, cos they don't have to.

Thank Post

another story

i used to work at 2 schools, even split between them, approx 230 computers, 4 domains etc .....blah blah...

the school i am at now wanted me full time, as we have done a full renew of computers , and smartboards/laptops etc.
    As i left the other school they decided to get an outside contractor in, who said they only need to visit half a day per week ( LOL :-) ), but of course they would need to install new computers in the ict suite etc, which the school went for. ( for them )
    now as i had left the computers in classroom in good order, with solid images deployed, nothing went wrong for the first month or so. Then it all started falling down, and one child even told me it was now 'abismal'.
    But the point i am making ( or trying ) is that external ict support in my experience let the school fall down to such a low level of service that when they then bring it up, the school has switched to fitting the ICT provided, rather than ict supporting the school, and it has all being done without anyone knowing, the end users were just glad to get something working/useable finally, and don't realise what they have lost.

i have also found that local authorities employ 'consultants' or so they are called, who in my opinion have questionable recommendations, especially when the organisation running schools is a business.

I please note : i refrained from using the words elbow, and A*se in the above statement.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just started a new post, after being part time in the state sector for just over a year (and earning less than half of 16k for 2 and a half days a week, I'll never understand pro rata). Not an amazing salary now, but comfortable enough for me at the moment at 20k and with potential increases coming up.

Thank Post
    Job I went for today was scale 2 - 14k, ish to 16k, ish
    was at independent church school in east lancashire

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerste View Post
    i have also found that local authorities employ 'consultants' or so they are called, who in my opinion have questionable recommendations
    One of ours is so bad its funny. One of his "great" recommendations was to only use local policies as domain policies create too much network traffic! lmao

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    One of ours is so bad its funny. One of his "great" recommendations was to only use local policies as domain policies create too much network traffic! lmao
    It's not such a bad idea, (not for the reasons given). If a machine is locked down at the local level it can be considered 'secure by default'. You can then use GPO to open the things you want, rather than the other way around. Even if the local admin account gets cracked there is no way around this - because local GP prevents it. I've seen some university default images set up this way. A lot more work though.

Thank Post
    ^ Note the word only

I see your point but how do you propose getting the local policies onto the machines without using the network?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    The idea is that the image already has the local policies deployed.
    It's not something I actually do, and I can see it being a proper PITA - but from a crackers pov it's a bit more difficult to circumvent.

Thank Post
    IT Technician in a high school in North Wales.
    11k pro-rata which means i'm on around 9k per year (I don't work during the school holidays). I enjoy the job and the work atmosphere, but obviously won't be able to live off that wage for too long, it's not even enough for me to start paying back my student loan.

Thank Post
    FFS A Janitor would get 12,688!

Job Description:

Job Purpose:

Under the direction of the Head Teacher, to carry out janitorial duties within the school.

Key Duties and Responsibilities:

 Ensure the security of the school premises and its contents (including the operation of fire alarms and keyholder responsibilities).

 Maintenance of lighting and heating of the premises (including the maintenance and operation of plant).

 Assist in securing the safety, welfare and good conduct of pupils whilst in the school environs, particularly prior to the school day, during morning, mid-day and afternoon breaks and at the end of the school day.

 Monitoring the standard of cleaning undertaken on the premises.

 Undertake emergency cleaning duties as required within the whole premises, including environs and grounds, eg removal of graffiti from walls and doors, accidental spillage etc.

 Carry out checks and inspections relating to school maintenance, energy conservation and anti-vandalism measures.

 Service school lets during term-time and school holiday periods for which appropriate overtime rates will be paid.

 Carry out porterage and handyperson duties which on occasion will involve heavy lifting, painting and minor repairs.

 Grass cutting, ground maintenance and snow clearing.

Other Duties:

You may be required to perform duties, appropriate to the post, other than those given in the job specification. The particular duties and responsibilities attached to posts may also be varied without changing the general character of the duties or the level of responsibility entailed. Such variations are a common occurrence and would not themselves justify reconsideration of the grading. As a result of such variations it will be necessary to update this job specification from time to time.

Special Conditions:

52 weeks per year including allowance for holidays which should be taken during school holidays
    Person specification:

Essential Attributes

In order to be able to carry out the duties of this post effectively and safely, candidates will be able to provide evidence of the following.

EXPERIENCE

Used to dealing with the public and children.

Good handyperson with gardening experience.

Has been given responsibility in other employment.

Familiar with security duties.

EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS

Driving licence.

First Aid qualification/prepared to undergo first aid training.

SKILLS/ATTRIBUTES GENERAL

To be well organized – a good timekeeper.

Able to show own initiative and work independently.

Respond well in case of emergency.

SKILLS/ABILITIES SPECIFIC TO THE POST

Ability to liaise and work with school staff, parents and pupils and wider public in a pleasant and effective manner.

INTERPERSONAL AND SOCIAL SKILLS

Able to deal with children in a sympathetic, caring and firm manner.
    Salary:

244.53 per week
    Last edited by somabc; 15th May 2008 at 10:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Through an admin cock-up I was sent the full budget including staff salaries. Wtf!!!! and they are striking for more pay.

Thank Post
    I'm at top of old scale 5 here working for support team in LA.
    I visit around 14 schools - all primaries of course.
    Its a varied and interesting job and by and large I really enjoy it, council politics not withstanding.
    I would like to work in a Comp to get involved with "big" projects and be able to plan how you want things done etc etc but I just couldn't afford the pay drop. Its disgusting what some comps offer with between 12 and 15k being the norm for techs.
    The only way for me to go now is NM - just need to get some bits of paper that say I can do the job.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pvtbanner View Post
    The only way for me to go now is NM - just need to get some bits of paper that say I can do the job.
    I have no bits of paper saying i can do the job.... Just about 6-7 years experience of doing the job.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast