+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, What salary? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    Oh right i thought it was the latest one for some reason lol... my bad..

2k increase isnt much?! LOL. I would say there a pretty big increase for a school ;-)
    Not considering the teachers get points willey nilley and each point is worth £1,500... When i started a teacher had a point to update the website !

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post
    Not considering the teachers get points willey nilley and each point is worth £1,500... When i started a teacher had a point to update the website !
    Ok ill rephrase then... its a big increase for Support Staff at a school...

Thank Post
    Well my blurb is:

23 year old Network Manager, been working in the same school as a NM for 4 years, currently earn around 28k full-time - but tend to have to be able to be reached in emergencies during my holidays.

Jo

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post
    The old point system is gone.

Now you have TLRs ... Teaching and Learning Responsibilites. These cannot be for admin or support tasks, but have to be directly related to T&L. They are broken down into 2 levels, TRL 1 and 2, and each level can be broken down further within set guidelines (eg 1,500 between each break) but it is set by tour school, not the Govt. The NUT have a complete guide to TLRs including what you cannot do to get them.

You are also not meant to hold multiple roles ... eg head of year *and* 2nd in Dept. Some schools break this, but the unions and Govt hate it when schools do that sort of thing.

Not that relevant to the original thread, but worth pointing out that the old points for teachers is gone and good riddance!

Thank Post
    Currently Network Manager at the school for 11+ years after starting as the only IT tech, salary currently just over 15K full time and I have an assistant/tech on just under 10K term-time. Single status will increase my salary just over 22K though my post will be downgraded to Systems or Systems Support Officer. Reason given for the re-grade is that the school isn't large enough to require a NM and the tasks that warrant that role have been re-delegated to the business manager by the business manager.

Thank Post
    Same thing happened to me after job evaluation. Went from 24k to 27k but was demoted to assistant network manager. I am appealing against this as I was employed as the network manager. If I win the appeal it will put me on 30k.

Thank Post
    the pay for ICT Technicians is, frankly, disgusting. Admittedly I work in network engineering now, in the private sector, but spent a spell at a school a few years back as an IT manager covering some leave - so i know the skillset, the responsibilities and the workload that they have.

to pay skilled people the equivalent pay to what a lot of shopworkers would take home, and less than most factory workers, is ridiculous. and forget the argument about 'would you want to work in a shop, factory etc' - thats irrevelent. pay is, or should be, determined by supply/demand of the necessary skills. i also know how stressful and demanding the job is. i would never, ever recommend anyone considering ICT to work in this sector, at these pay levels. no wonder there are always plenty of vacancies, compared to the private sector.

Thank Post
    It gets worse...not even going to be Systems Officer any more. Had a short meeting today where we were issued with our 'new' gradings....Senior ICT Technician at 20K. My assistant who is currently ICT Technician will now become 'Assistant ICT Technician'.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,976 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by riedquat View Post
    It gets worse...not even going to be Systems Officer any more. Had a short meeting today where we were issued with our 'new' gradings....Senior ICT Technician at 20K. My assistant who is currently ICT Technician will now become 'Assistant ICT Technician'.
    Appeal. And take it up with your union.

Thank Post
    Well my head and the SLT support what i wrote in my letter asking to go from 20k to 23k and IT Tech to NM..

It goes infront of the governors on Monday for the final decision..

Fingers Crossed....

Thank Post

Hmm Interesting

I'm not sure how the teritiary education sector compares with the secondary sector.

eg. at a university the payscales are roughly as follows

Engineer - £25k-£30k
    Senior Engineer £30k-35k
    Manager (say of 6 Engineers) ~£45k

IT Operations & Business Support have larger salaries ranging to £60k
    engineer £30k-£45k
    manager £60k+

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    I'm not sure how the teritiary education sector compares with the secondary sector.

eg. at a university the payscales are roughly as follows

Engineer - £25k-£30k
    Senior Engineer £30k-35k
    Manager (say of 6 Engineers) ~£45k

IT Operations & Business Support have larger salaries ranging to £60k
    engineer £30k-£45k
    manager £60k+
    There's actually a lot of IT support vacancies in uni's advertised in the 15-25k region. Some uni's categorise these posts as being 'support and technical' and there's a limit to how high the scale goes under 'support' hence the modest salaries.

Above 25k and they're categorised as administrative and clerical, this is where the 40k+ IT management vacancies are advertised.

For as long as there are inexperienced budding IT pro's and inexperienced graduates....there'll be a demand for low paid IT work in schools and high turnover of staff in these positions if the possibiliy of promotion path within the school isn't available.

It may not be palatable to be paid 11k for a role demanding placing high technical and stressful demands on the successful candidates....but i don't see it changing any time soon.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by riedquat View Post
    you really need to get this sorted. They know that your underpaid, but they are trying to take away your responsibilities in order to pay you less than you are worth. This is totally going against the principle of single status. I'd put in a formal grievance ASAP. You don't have to accept the grading - they are not 'issued', you agree to it. Sounds like bullying and harassment to me, get the union involved.

Thank Post
    Is it just me or does 'assistant ICT Technician' sound like the stupidest job title ever?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Is it just me or does 'assistant ICT Technician' sound like the stupidest job title ever?
    It does, it also sounds that is right at the bottom of the barrell.

It's bad enough being an IT technician with all the crap that get's thrown at them, and the lack of respect.

But assistant IT technician!!!!, having such a role i imagine gives the lowly IT technician executive status and puts the assistant IT tecnician somwhere between the ants crawling around in the electricity cupboard and the fat crosseyed lady who cleans the toilets in terms of the school hierarchy.

16. Thanks to torledo from:

speckytecky (6th June 2008)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast