+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Give a Junior a chance? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi there, My name is Terry Dudeney and I have currently achieved many IT vendor qualifications. So far my IT ...

Thank Post

Give a Junior a chance?

Hi there,
    My name is Terry Dudeney and I have currently achieved many IT vendor qualifications. So far my IT achievements are;
    Microsoft Technical Associate; Networking, Operating Systems, Security and Server Administration.
    ComTIA A+ qualification
    Level 3 Extended Diploma in ICT systems and Principles
    Level 3 Diploma in Professional Competence for IT and Telecoms Professionals

As you can see im pretty basic in terms of the IT industry but I am looking for more of a Perminate Role which im happy to fit in anywhere. If anyone knows of a job vacancy or has one within their company for a Junior to apply for please can you message me or email me about job (hopefully around 20 miles around Brighton). my email will be send in a private message so no one abuses my email address.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by Tdudeney; 26th March 2012 at 03:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Hello Terry, and welcome to Edugeek.

May I suggest you look here: Educational IT Jobs

As this forum area is not really the best place to ask for or advertise work.

You've got a good grounding point to start from, more than some of us on here have or started with, so make sure your CV is up to date, and keep an eye on the big job sites, get yourself signed up to them.

Monster.co.uk
    cwjobs.co.uk
    reed.co.uk
    totaljobs.co.uk

I've used all of these over the years, and they've all worked well for me, the top 2 especially.

Since your new to the industry, and probably competing against 100 others in your area who are looking for similar work, then I heavily recommend using your time before you get your job to do something interesting.
    Go join a youth movement as a leader/helper (eg scouting or YHA), join some clubs, or look into other courses that you're interested in; photography, web design, electrics/plumbing, whatever you fancy.

Because if ALL you have on your CV is a couple of certifications, you are less likely to get a job than someone who has the same ones, but does things with his life outside of work. Employers will look for people who are enthused and energised in life in general, and shows the ability to work with and for people.

Hope that helps, and welcome again!

3. Thanks to Rydra from:

Tdudeney (26th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Great advice from Rydra there, especially about the "outside of work" stuff.

Schools, moreso than anywhere else I've experienced, expect all their staff to do more than just their job roles, wether that's helping out on school trips, summer fetes, or whatever. If you look enthusiastic on paper about doing things other than IT they will likely see you as a more 'rounded' person - if all you have on paper is a list of IT certs then you'll be percieved as the steroetypical 'it nerd' and that's not what schools want.

5. Thanks to Pete10141748 from:

Tdudeney (26th March 2012)

Thank Post
    thanks guys and to Rydra i have done many other things such as plumbing and Computer Games Development, i have also been applying on the job websites which are listed and yet nothing has come of yet but i am hopeful. Hopefully when april comes and the new expencises come into play there will be more jobs available.

You guys have been rather helpful and given me a bit more hope

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Peter is spot on, IMO schools don't want someone with a list of certs who can talk technical lingo for hours on end but someone who can get on with the role while engaging with other members of staff and students. Communication is a huge part of the role so the stereotypical IT guy isn't a good fit. I started last year as my first full time in IT, previous to this I worked part time just a few hours per week in a little computer repair store for minimum wage and a few retails jobs but on my CV tryed to make the point I'm used to dealing with customers face to face and maintaining good 'people' skills. This could be put across both in your CV and at interview stages and as Rydra suggested don't go on about them but just mention hobbies and the world outside of your IT related stuff. Best of luck and keep on looking it takes time and abit of luck plus many people with more experience may apply for a job it doesn't mean they will always get it over you its easier IMO to teach someone new tricks then break old bad habits so many places will want you to work how they see fit not how you studied and research.

School interviews I had asked more questions as to how you meet the personal specification and why you're suited to work in a school, not why do you think you're suited to the IT support role, those questions came at later stages and 2nd interviews once they knew you are the right minded candidate. Might also be worth writing for experience in private companys that local schools and businesses are outsourcing, do some research into how schools in the local area are with the quality they receive, might find a gap in the market
    Last edited by bondbill2k2; 26th March 2012 at 04:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Keep that hope up!

Breaking into school-based IT support can be a real challenge - mainly because schools who know how important IT support is only know this because they already have an IT team doing a great job; schools who don't have in an in-house IT team don't know the value of one, and so the job offers wont be there! Kind of a catch 22 really.

It could help to volunteer some time at a school without a techie and showcase what you can for them, get them to see the value of it and then create a job from that. It wouldn't be an overnight success but it's something proactive you can do at least! And voluneer work always looks good on the old CV too
    Last edited by Pete10141748; 26th March 2012 at 04:05 PM.

Thank Post
    Don't just dump your CV on them and leave them there.

And don't restrict yourself to Permanent roles.
    There's a lot of places that want people for short term contracts and work, some just for project work, and others because they want the ability to get in 'the right person' for a permanent role.

Keep your head up and keep searching. Never give up.

And if you apply for specific jobs, and you get a response back to say no, then drop them an email back thanking them for the response, and asking if there's anything you can do that would make them consider you for future roles.

I've done this before, and as a result had callbacks months/years later, from both companies and recruitment agents.

Again, look at something outside of IT, even if it's just playing for a 6aside football team. If all your interested in is IT then fine, but being focused when starting out restricts you in where you can go for.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    I can offer a free CV - optimising service if you are interested - I do a lot and I think I am up at about 65 off this site presently. Just pm me for my email address

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I can offer a free CV - optimising service if you are interested - I do a lot and I think I am up at about 65 off this site presently. Just pm me for my email address
    Could I send you my CV too?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread